Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea
Brand Affiliation: None

Buying demo kites - bad idea?

Postby Exal » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:58 am

I am following this commercial account that is selling demo kites and boards for a few months now. Usually I am thinking that if the price is too good it can't be good and stay away from it. The guy who runs the account always makes a lot of pictures and describes the quality of the gear accurately from what I can tell. Often he mentions that there is a little something that needs to be fixed and he shows it clearly on a picture.

Does anyone of you buy demo gear and how is your experience with it? The kite I am looking at would cost me (euro) 1500ish new, 1150-1200ish barely used, 800ish demo. I should probably not buy the kite anyways but oh well ... happy to hear from you guys.

dragnfly
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Blackpool/ St Annes. New Brighton (UK)
Favorite Beaches: UK - Rhosneigr. New Brighton, Blackrock Sands.
Non UK - Dakhla.
Style: FS80% WS15% Strapless5%
Gear: Cabrinha FX 12,9 & SB 7m, Drifter 5m
Crazyfly Raptor ltd 136 2018 (best board ever!)
Slingshot Screamer

Re: Buying demo kites - bad idea?

Postby dragnfly » Wed Oct 16, 2019 9:53 am

Wouldn't you have some sort of buyer protection, via paypal, or credit card - so if there's any issues you could just send it back and get a refund?

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:12 am

I am not sure if I would be able to "break" a new kite even if I tried to. Even my first kite which is still flying (someone else owns it now) is still alive. That kite has had a tough life. I bought it used (it was a rental) as a beginner. I crashed it for a good while before I sold it to another beginner. He then crashed it while learning and it is now sold again.

All depending on how much these kites have been "demo'd" they would probably have a lot more hours of use than a normal kite being reasonably new, but even so how many kites are really worn out by individuals? Even school kites in places like Tarifa are hardly getting worn out in months.

My best buy is still my Zephyr. The canopy got ripped and as soon as that happens people seem to stay away. I got it at something like 1/4 of the full price and it still flies as it did when I bought it years ago.

So generally speaking I would say go for it - even if when things seem to be too good to be true........

ShaveTheWhales
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2040
Local Beach: West Straya Oz
Style: Fun with friends :) and being helpful :)
Gear: Lightwind, 11m Sonic 3, OR Flite, slingshot Dwarf craft foil board, Sab foil
Medium Wind, 12m OR Flite, 8 SouL, TT C6 board, Crazyfly Ltd, Shinn Monk, Wave board
Strong / Gnarly Wind, 8m SouL, 8m XR Core, C6 board
All with custom moded bars
Brand Affiliation: Anything that jumps well & fun to fly. Brand Bitch to none :)

Postby ShaveTheWhales » Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:55 am

Stay away from Leading edge or canopy to leading edge join repairs..

Apart from that - It's still new material so will have longevity as normal.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:16 pm

i'm owned demo/comped/not-for-resale bars and kites before...
...never had an issue.

and actually i prefer buying gear "gently" used.
and also never had an issue re-selling a bar for example that had "demo- not for resale" clearly written on it.

buying used= if you dont abuse the gear ..then generally you can sell again at your original buying price.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:12 pm

I've bought demo kites in the past with good success. Usually, the seller can provide you with a history of the kite (e.g., "well-used", "lightly used", "school kite", etc.). I agree with earlier post that canopy to LE repairs should be avoided. First and foremost, get comfortable with your seller (research online, etc.).

More recently, I find that buying last year's model new kites can be economically as attractive as buying a used demo kite. At some point (end of season, middle of off-season), the older model new kites are a great buy.......plus they are "new".

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:04 pm

A true demo kite that has only been used a few times is fine but a kite that has been used for teaching that has been crashed hard many times and repaired is not a good idea. Ask them how many times it was flown approximately. Personally I never buy kite with repairs. When I buy long distance I only buy it if the seller says it's only been used a few times and it's like new.

Hugh2
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 180lb/82kg
Local Beach: Clinton Lake in East-Central Illinois
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras and Cape Town (also sailing around the world, this season crossed the South Pacific)
Style: freeride
Gear: Cabrinha Nomad 5.5, Naish Pivot 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11, Duotone Dice 12
Long Ocean 136, Eleveight Master C+ 136, Naish Global 6'0", RB Sixty 3 Matador 5' 8", Slingshot Hoverglide H5 foil and Alien Air 4' 6" and Converter boards

Postby Hugh2 » Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:16 am

I've bought almost entirely demo and used kites (25 altogether), mostly from REAL in Hatteras, never had a problem. Yesterday I bought a used 2018 Naish Pivot 9m from REAL for $600, condition is almost as new, and rode it today in epic conditions. Absolutely love that kite (I have two 9m Pivots from 2015 already), and especially this 2018 model, so stable in the air with the quadtex canopy and a great jumping kite.

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:59 am

Like others said- true “demo” is no problem. Kites last a long time, and unless something went really wrong on the demo they it should have lots of life. If it is some shady dude selling broken kites as “demo”, that’s a problem. Like any used gear, it depends on how much you trust the seller. Reputable shop- go for it. Some shady dude on eBay- you could get lucky or unlucky.

Kristan
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plescheevo lake
Favorite Beaches: Mejvodnoye, Crimea
Style: Freeride
Gear: Kites: Eleveight XS 14m, Paraavis Smile 3 15m. Boards: Flysurfer Radical 6 144x46, Flysurfer Flydoor4 170x50

Postby Kristan » Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:34 am

My Fat Lady was a test kite. Wing was in pristine condition, except for a couple of salt and dirt stains that didn't wash out. Bar that came with it was not that good, it was rather old and pretty used. But hey, 17m kite + bar for 1000 euro is a pretty sweet deal for me.

Return to “Kitesurfing”