B19 ELS
Rare Poster
Gear: Surfboard, twin tip, getting some foils
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

kite wing low volume board

Postby B19 ELS » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 pm

5'8 gong surf foil package. 55 litre board.

With the right kite wing - is this doable at 80kg and strong wind if a knee start etc?

Advice appreciated as I know you really need double the volume board but the guys in Maui are doing it on very small boards....

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: kite wing low volume board

Postby tkaraszewski » Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:57 pm

I'm 80kg and have been riding one of those little Maui boards, so it seems doable to me. I guess I don't know what you're asking, obviously little boards can work since people re using them. Yes, they're harder to waterstart until you get the hang of it.

Edit: OH, you want to do this on a wing, not a regular kite setup. I don't know then.
Last edited by tkaraszewski on Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:00 pm

Recommend you ask elsewhere too, more chance of having someone who is doing it. Informative places....seabreeze sup foil forum or surfermag foil surf forum or standupzone wind wing forum. Facebook wing.surf or wingboarder groups.

I've only used sup foil. I think straps will help you with water start on a small board. Yours sounds small for knee starts maybe?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:07 pm

B19 ELS wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:37 pm
5'8 gong surf foil package. 55 litre board.

With the right kite wing - is this doable at 80kg and strong wind if a knee start etc?

Advice appreciated as I know you really need double the volume board but the guys in Maui are doing it on very small boards....
Not unless you are amazingly skilled. The best way to find out is to take your board and foil with a kite. Put the kite at 12 and sink the board down under the water and then try to get waterstarting WITHOUT letting the Board fall onto its side and the foil flipping up and without working the kite (only pulling in on the bar). If you can do that then you have a chance at doing this with a wing. It is just about 10 times harder to do that with the wing. Have fun experimenting.

Knee starting will be very difficult if not impossible at your weight. But again. try it with a kite and see you you can do it with a kite in the air above you.

--
Gunnar

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:24 pm

Hi B19 ELS,
don't know how much experience you have with wingfoiling but if not too much, just forget about it and don't orientate on kitefoiling or young guys from Maui wingfoiling since long every day.
I am sure knee start is completely impossible with a board of lower volume than body weight, as your knees will be under water and produce massive drag and you have to work out the board with the force of your legs.

With my 62 kg and now around 20 days with wingfoil I tried 3 boardsizes (40 l, 72 l, 90 l) and with the small board it was just close to impossible to do with my actual skill, not depending on wind, as you also need to have the balance, force and pumping skill to get such a small board out of the water.

Apart from that Gunnars idea to check it with a kite which is quite good,
but just if you use the kite unhooked. Don't work it to hard around (which you can't with the wing) and if you made it to balance your board foot in the straps pressed straight under the water and then work it out, still be prepared, with the wing it will be 10 times harder.

Return to “Wingsurfing”