Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Where to go for three weeks end of 2019 (Nov.-Dec.)?

Forum for travel reports and travel questions
blablubb1234
Rare Poster
Favorite Beaches: Parajuru (one and only :D)
Style: Beginner - No style at all :)
Gear: None of my own.
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Where to go for three weeks end of 2019 (Nov.-Dec.)?

Postby blablubb1234 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:59 am

Hey there,

I learned kitesurfing in Brazil (Parajuru) November last year (skill level: water start, going/staying upwind, turns, sometimes fakie) and want to go on my next (kite) vacation end of this year.

I have more or less 3-4 weeks of time and am quite flexible when it comes to the precise dates (starting now I want to be back latest 22nd of December). I would like to get a little further away with a more or less good connnection from either Germany (Frankfurt) or Switzerland (Zürich/Basel).

I thought about going back to the northern part of Brazil, but truth be told, I've already seen it and would like to see another spot now. I am looking for:
  • Warm water (=no shorty)
  • Flat water (ideally a certain shallow area)
  • More or less steady wind conditions (I know there's no guarantuee for this :))
Tobago is also on the list but I heard very different things about it in that time of the year. The same goes for the southern part of Japan. I figured that Porto Alegre and the surrounding lagoons might be a good choice, but I couldn't find any (promising) report on that area. Cape Verde would also be an idea, although I don't really like the landscape. Philippines are on the list as well, though I don't know about specific spots and their (wind) conditions in November and December.

So, can any one share their experiences with one of the above mentioned destinations in that time of the year? Do you have other suggestions? I already looked at the summary by month, but it seems filled with advertisment so I'd rather have some personal tips :)

Thanks and best regards :)

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Re: Where to go for three weeks end of 2019 (Nov.-Dec.)?

Postby downunder » Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:22 pm

And your budget is?

Ok, Japan is out. Broke my wrist there skiing and man, for 3hrs they could not find English speaking doctor.

Search this forum, lots of options...
These users thanked the author downunder for the post:
blablubb1234 (Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:31 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

blablubb1234
Rare Poster

Postby blablubb1234 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:55 pm

Hey,

the budget should not be the limiting factor. Of course, I don't want to pay 250 bucks/night in a hotel, but I'm willing to pay for a long-haul flight and it's okay if a beer is a couple of dollars ;)

BR

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:02 pm

i believe the tradewinds in el caribe really start howling around christmas time.

so you COULD probably do cuba, caymans, yacatan, windwards, lewards, puerto rico or anywhere else in region....but it would be a bit early season.

personally..if flying from central europe...i'd go to thailand or the philippines.
tanzania would also be early season but that would be pretty rad too and not to bad of a haul.
These users thanked the author elguapo for the post:

irwe
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Keswick
Favorite Beaches: Choche
South Padre Island
Silver Rock
Bahia Salinas
Style: Allaround
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
Slingshot
Spleen
Axis
Best
Shinn
TKF
ConceptAir
Zeeko

Postby irwe » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:16 pm

Santa Lucia Cuba will check off all the boxes. There are 5 resorts in the bay. I have stayed at the Gran ROC and Brisas. I like the ROC launch site better.
These users thanked the author irwe for the post:

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm

Caribbean is better a bit later if you ask me - not that I have the full overview of all the Caribbean. Tanzania if that is Zanzibar is too early. Wind is better mid January.

Personally I wouldn't even consider anything else than Brazil. Jericoacoara is just magical.

Not sure when the season starts in SA? Cold water, but Cape Town area is brilliant. Langebaan is close to perfect for inexperienced riders.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:30 pm

Havre wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:02 pm
Caribbean is better a bit later if you ask me - not that I have the full overview of all the Caribbean. Tanzania if that is Zanzibar is too early. Wind is better mid January.

Personally I wouldn't even consider anything else than Brazil. Jericoacoara is just magical.

Not sure when the season starts in SA? Cold water, but Cape Town area is brilliant. Langebaan is close to perfect for inexperienced riders.
i like the idea of south africa..
(but maybe water is too cold for OP)

but yeah... there is a reason brasil is so popular.
you wont find anywhere better or kiteboarding.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:36 am

Yeah. I don't know. I hated the idea of using a wet suit myself - before trying it. Used a 3/2 in SA. No need for booties or gloves. Don't even notice the difference between that and kiting in beach wear now. Only hassle is in places like Tarifa when you get cooked on the beach.

Philippines should work in December. But I'm not going back to Boracay before it is completely cleaned up. As far as I can see you still got sewage being let out in the lagoon. There are other places to kite of course. Requires quite some travel though.
These users thanked the author Havre for the post:

blablubb1234
Rare Poster

Postby blablubb1234 » Sat Oct 26, 2019 4:05 pm

downunder wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:22 pm
Ok, Japan is out. Broke my wrist there skiing and man, for 3hrs they could not find English speaking doctor.
Well, not finding an English speaking doctor is not a criterion to not go there. If the rest is fine, I'd still consider it, but I can't seem to find a good spot in Japow.
elguapo wrote:
Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:02 pm
i believe the tradewinds in el caribe really start howling around christmas time.

so you COULD probably do cuba, caymans, yacatan, windwards, lewards, puerto rico or anywhere else in region....but it would be a bit early season.

personally..if flying from central europe...i'd go to thailand or the philippines.
Havre wrote:
Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:36 am
Philippines should work in December. But I'm not going back to Boracay before it is completely cleaned up. As far as I can see you still got sewage being let out in the lagoon. There are other places to kite of course. Requires quite some travel though.
Any tips on where to go to in Thailand resp. the Philippines? I only know about Kingfisher and that's quite wavy from what I understood.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster

Postby elguapo » Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:03 pm

@philippines..
search for Union Beach near boracay or zamboanguita in negros

The best areas during Amihan for consistent wind: the North Coast of Luzon (Area 1) and an area in the Central Part of the Philippines (Area 2), roughly between Bicol peninsula, Mindoro, Panay and the Northern half of Palawan

@thailand
Pak Nam Pran and hauhin are the prime kite beaches (iirc)
..but phuket or ko samui but might be more fun if traveling with non-kiters.

blablubb1234 (Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:13 pm)

Return to “Travel”