Board short harness

Forum for kitesurfers
cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Board short harness

Postby cglazier » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 am

I have been using the Dakine Nitrous shorts for years. I am on my second pair and I am happy with them. They seem to last well over 200 sessions before the webbing wears out which is about three years for me.. (this is the same life as any harness for me). They are a bit less bulky than the Ion shorts (which some of my friends use and they are also happy with).
The Dakine Nitrous has a handle (covered rope) on the back but strangely the Ion model has nothing.

I recently switched to a rope spreader bar (the Ion model) and it works well on the Dakine shorts.

:wink: CG
NITROUSHDHARNESS-BLACK.jpg
NITROUSHDHARNESS-BLACK.jpg (29.45 KiB) Viewed 1574 times
ionnohookspreaderbar.png
ionnohookspreaderbar.png (92.53 KiB) Viewed 1567 times

keegster17
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Weight: 175lbs
Local Beach: Lake Ontario
Style: Free ride big air
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic 3, 13m, Flysurfer Soul 9m, Gin Spirit 12m, Flysurfer Radical board
Has thanked: 0

Postby keegster17 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:54 pm

Looking for a little update on the Board shorts...I have been wearing B2's for 3 seasons now, really like them. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the NP tracker, I am wondering if the NP tracker, because it apparently has less padding, would it give me more flexibility in the legs. I am starting to do board grabs, and I am noticing, I could be restricted a bit because of the location of the spreader bar and padding, so curious if the NP tracker might offer something different in this area?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:53 pm

I have used the Ion b2 harness since they were first introduced.
must be on my 6th pair now, and the last 3 pairs are still going strong, but only because my wife has removed the soft material under the crutch and replaced with neoprene, so much better as i can stretch out my legs without the tight material holding back full leg movement, a mate of mine had the same problem and has been buying a new pair every year, but this year( 6 weeks back) he says his new pair came with stretchy neoprene under the bum,
so that little problem has been sorted,
I ditched all the padding around the spreader bar years ago, and now foiling I only use the Ion rope spreader bar as in the photo shown above in the previous post, but yet again every bit of padding has been removed as I only need the steel spreader bar, all that padding is just too bulky, and the small length on the bar is so much better when clamping up tight, the standard spreader bar that came with my previous b2 harnesses are all too long leaving a gap when the harness is under load, not a great feeling,
there are heavy duty rings at the sides to hang items from if needed, I have made a ground stake pouch which doubles as an across the back grab handle, handy for rescue reasons, for both parties,
mine are never dry, as I sail nearly every day, apart from rotating each pair every 3 months for maintenance and a treat to a full dry out.
bad points are few, maybe the legs are too long, mine have to be taken up 3 inches, or maybe my legs are too short.
I do wash the full harness in fresh water after each use, which I believe reduces long term wear, and I never pull the straps tight each session as this wears out the straps too early,
Instead I have the straps pulled right in tight and have stop knots in the straps to prevent any slippage in use,they do tend to slip quite badly after a little use,
So to get in and out of the harness I just breath in, and press the red clip and twist the buckle to disengage or push in to engage,
removing all that padding makes this easy, (apart from a few days after christmas)

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:47 pm

Naish Targa is not good. Great design, terrible execution. I have posted some comments in this forum before. Enormous wedgie and they started disintegrating at the first session. After 1 year, the spreader bar cracked (I also posted about it here).
Dakine and Ion B2 both good. Similar value, as the B2 is more expensive but better built with better material.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:33 pm

Alot of people on the beach use these, and I hear good things:
https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/m ... ker-shorts

Anyone else use these, they all like the bar and how is similar to the rope slider but still just a hook, been considering getting the tracker bar for myself.

Macster
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Melbourne
Gear: Moses and Ozone

Postby Macster » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:05 pm

gozokiteboarding wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:33 pm
Alot of people on the beach use these, and I hear good things:
https://www.neilpryde.com/collections/m ... ker-shorts

Anyone else use these, they all like the bar and how is similar to the rope slider but still just a hook, been considering getting the tracker bar for myself.
Yep I've been using them for about 6 months when I foil board. Awesome for riding toeside as the tracker hook puts the bar in a more comfortable position. If you get the right waist size, you can keep all the straps loose too which I reckon makes them even more comfortable. Having the pockets is handy for sunglasses.

I use a waist harness for twin tip riding, big air and kite loops. I think having the pivot point in the tracker system could possibly be a risk with such big loads running through the harness when looping.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:37 pm

I've been using the Dakine shorts 2+ years with rope slider on Hydrofoil. They are best of what I have used in 18 years of kiting. Used various seat and waist harness including 2 versions of the ride engine waist harness, which was the best of the waist harnesses.

Return to “Kitesurfing”