Is it possible to make the same performances and tricks, same as surfing

Forum for kitesurfers
DuoiQueen
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Is it possible to make the same performances and tricks, same as surfing

Postby DuoiQueen » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:22 pm

I mean, is it possible to make the ride almost the same like surfing without a kite when wave surfing WITH a kite ?

I see videos of wave riders with no kite make a lot of "off the lip" into the wave, but wave kitesurfers if I am right, do not doing "off the lip" they more like riding toe side and than just turn next direction on the of the wave .. ?

am I right ? I mean, of course there's a lot of differences like, with kite you're using - bar, harness, can`t ride the wave to the direction you want because you depend on where the wind comes from, etc..

maybe Im wrong? and it is possible to ride almost the "same" as surfing ?

Im sorry for not understanding much.. just curios ..

Thanks ! :)

windsuks
Very Frequent Poster
Style: surf/old school
Gear: Airush/North/Ozone/RRD

Re: Is it possible to make the same performances and tricks, same as surfing

Postby windsuks » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:30 pm

I remember many years ago in the early days of kiting, people (esp Windsurfers) would say it would never be possible to ride waves with a kite. How things have changed with the advent of depower and bridles etc
It's getting closer but there will always be a "kite" and the disadvantages and advantages of that!

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:33 pm

A bit old but some good strapped kitesurfing off the lip.

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:55 pm

SaarM wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:22 pm
I see videos of wave riders with no kite make a lot of "off the lip" into the wave, but wave kitesurfers if I am right, do not doing "off the lip" they more like riding toe side and than just turn next direction on the of the wave .. ?
Kiting side on heading upwind restricts how much "surfing simulation" you can do in that direction.

Downwinders allow a more close simulation of surfing.

Strapless makes you to slow down to a speed that more simulates surfing.

Strapless also restricts the amount of force, in certain planes, that you can apply to the board.

Larger boards more similar to the size you would use when surfing, allow you to get the same "big slow board" feel that you get when surfing.

Wave specific high depower/drift kites make for an even more accurate simulation of surfing by not adding more forces to utilize when riding the wave.

So the more you handicap yourself, the closer you can get to simulating surfing.

I kite without those handicaps because I came to realize that those handicaps were not adding to my enjoyment of kitesurfing. And it has been sometime since I moved on from trying to simulate my surfing experience by using a kite.
Last edited by Matteo V on Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AndersP
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foil and Mutant

Postby AndersP » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Here are some good strapless floaters and airs.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:37 pm

AndersP wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:59 pm
Here are some good strapless floaters and airs.

Ever watch a youtube video of a basket ball shot behind the back bouncing off of a tree, car bumper, then block retaining wall, then into the basket, and think that that person who made the shot is really good? If yes, then you are missing the point that it took 50 takes to make that one stupid video. Add to that the fact that if you change the angle of one of those reflecting surfaces, it will take another 50 takes to make it again.

Now think about that basketball player's teammates being pissed about this person not practicing to actually play real basketball.

Or ever see a pro football (soccer) player make a trick shot into a goal? Then you go out and try many times, without success, to try that same shot while playing with your team.

Later you would be wondering why your teammates are so pissed at you - It's because you blew every single goal and lost the match because you were trying to look cool.

Strapless kitesurfing (the simulation of prone surfing limitations while still being connected to the most versatile wind power harnessing device yet invented) exists because kitesurfing is NOT a team sport.
These users thanked the author Matteo V for the post:
nixmatters (Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm

Hey Matteo,

Fu%k off with this shit.

The OP asked specifically if one can surf and do the same moves with the same performance as surfing without a kite.

You gave your answer, now shut the f*** up about handicaps and what you do and how Mitu must take 50 takes to get one good one on video.

Mitu can hit those floaters pretty much every time. He is a pro, and as such, its like a free throw, he's good at it. His riding is leagues beyond what you do strapped in a bike helmet with neo socks on riding a ten pound LF fish.... possibly one of the biggest jokes of a board that was only really salvaged as a design by making it their economy foil board.

Your input is no longer required in a thread that is specifically about strapless wave kiting.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
justbob (Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:21 pm) • runner1 (Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:26 am)
Rating: 6.06%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:59 pm

You can get surfing with a kite the same as surfing but only with the lines slack. You can slack lines for between 1-30seconds. You can ride sections build slack then pull slack out, sometimes you might have to drive kite back up in the window so it has time to fall again. On waves you can connect slack to retension with cut backs, which can be a quite natural feel but quite hard to get the wave or timing for that. Otherwise with good depower or mainly using a small kite so big board, i.e. normal surf size, you can simulate close to surfing.

Generally most kiting you will see in vids is not like surfing, angles and moves are wrong, kite is clearly pulling the rider. Rider will go off the wave and do strange things for surfing not using the power of the wave. It is actually much easier to ride like that then use just or mainly the wave. I personally like to use more the wave, but maybe others don't or can't. Gear with tubes has made surf quite impossible for most.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:03 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:45 pm
Hey Matteo,

Fu%k off with this shit.

The OP asked specifically if one can surf and do the same moves with the same performance as surfing without a kite.

You gave your answer, now shut the f*** up about handicaps and what you do and how Mitu must take 50 takes to get one good one on video.

Mitu can hit those floaters pretty much every time. He is a pro, and as such, its like a free throw, he's good at it. His riding is leagues beyond what you do strapped in a bike helmet with neo socks on riding a ten pound LF fish.... possibly one of the biggest jokes of a board that was only really salvaged as a design by making it their economy foil board.

Your input is no longer required in a thread that is specifically about strapless wave kiting.
:D (jumpy gets the rare emoji from me!)
Yes, he can. He is a pro. The other 50 guys are down in the break in front of me are just trying to be cool just like him. But they are having a hard time and making it harder for me to pick a line that does not have a kite down on it or a board surfing a wave without a rider. Thus my theory still stands, much reinforced by your statement. 'Strapless exists because kitesurfing is not a team sport'.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:16 pm

foilholio wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:59 pm
You can get surfing with a kite the same as surfing but only with the lines slack. You can slack lines for between 1-30seconds. You can ride sections build slack then pull slack out, sometimes you might have to drive kite back up in the window so it has time to fall again. On waves you can connect slack to retension with cut backs, which can be a quite natural feel but quite hard to get the wave or timing for that. Otherwise with good depower or mainly using a small kite so big board, i.e. normal surf size, you can simulate close to surfing.

Generally most kiting you will see in vids is not like surfing, angles and moves are wrong, kite is clearly pulling the rider. Rider will go off the wave and do strange things for surfing not using the power of the wave. It is actually much easier to ride like that then use just or mainly the wave. I personally like to use more the wave, but maybe others don't or can't. Gear with tubes has made surf quite impossible for most.
You either look at kitesurfing as:

1. Having to manage a kite

or

2. Getting to use a kite.

I have done both as I swallowed the blue pill (1.) before I got red pilled (2.)

The answer to the OP's question is obvious. You can't stick within the confines of surfing when you are kitesurfing. That leads one to the question, 'why you would want to simulate something that you cannot really accurately mimic no matter your effort?' Which then leads one to ask yourself, 'why not embrace the differences and advantages instead of complaining about them and handicapping yourself in an attempt to make it as limited as something else?'

I am a surfer and enjoy it because of the challenge of just getting one good wave.

I am a kitesurfer because of how much more it is than surfing.
Last edited by Matteo V on Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Kitesurfing”