jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Is it possible to make the same performances and tricks, same as surfing

Postby jumptheshark » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm

He's not asking you about your meds or your philosophies.

Are you really going to continue to rebut?

Is it that impossible for you to simply turn the other cheek?

Let it be a simple challenge. Do not reply to me or anyone else in this one thread.

Ready, set..… GO!

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:25 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm
He's not asking you about your meds or your philosophies.

Are you really going to continue to rebut?

Is it that impossible for you to simply turn the other cheek?

Let it be a simple challenge. Do not reply to me or anyone else in this one thread.

Ready, set..… GO!
:D (two in a row!)

Love ya, jumpy!

It is still about the question. Here let me quote myself from the last page.
Matteo V wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:16 pm
You either look at kitesurfing as:

1. Having to manage a kite

or

2. Getting to use a kite.

I have done both as I swallowed the blue pill (1.) before I got red pilled (2.)

The answer to the OP's question is obvious. You can't stick within the confines of surfing when you are kitesurfing. That leads one to the question, 'why you would want to simulate something that you cannot really accurately mimic no matter your effort?' Which then leads one to ask yourself, 'why not embrace the differences and advantages instead of complaining about them and handicapping yourself in an attempt to make it as limited as something else?'

I am a surfer and enjoy it because of the challenge of just getting one good wave.

I am a kitesurfer because of how much more it is than surfing.
Anybody else think jumpy has got some veins poppin out his head right now? What's the spread on him taking his own advice - 2 more posts?

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:46 am

Don't be limited by what you see others doing.

Ride a lot, set small goals towards big ones .. you will get good.

Also will make your surfing better. The paddle part isnt going to get better tho but at least once you are up you are at home.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.

Postby Teabageppo » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 am

windsurfers are still way closer to actual surfing than on a kite. Always getting pulled along the wave...but it is what it is.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 am

Matteo V wrote: 1. Having to manage a kite

or

2. Getting to use a kite.
You are largely correct but for moments you can ignore managing and just let the kite be. With ARCs you could actually ignore the kite quite completely as it would fly itself.
Matteo V wrote: You can't stick within the confines of surfing when you are kitesurfing.
You can for a limited period but your are right because the kite is always there you have to do something with it at some point.
Matteo V wrote: That leads one to the question, 'why you would want to simulate something that you cannot really accurately mimic no matter your effort?'
Well the point is you can accurately do it not as in mimic. It is just you can not accurately do it forever but just short bursts. The reasons to do it are because like anything it can be enjoyable.
Matteo V wrote: 'why not embrace the differences and advantages instead of complaining about them and handicapping yourself in an attempt to make it as limited as something else?'
Well I do or have embraced all aspects of the sport. I like airstyle,wave,freestyle, even wakestyle and race. Land as well as water and snow. I come from a surf background so have a strong affinity towards it. I really like that I can have so much fun in what I consider shit surf, in fact more fun often than surfing. There is breaks and days where kiting can not compare to surfing but the vast majority of places and times kiting is by far the best.

I am disappointed by gear and riding because there is this aspect of surf kiting using slack lines and drift that has for so long been unaccessed and unavailable to so many. It has been and still remains a gear issue, there is gear out there that just can't do it and foil kites are mixed in ability and certainly not easy. You look at the pro comp video above and that is only touching what can be done and only a little is starting to look like surfing. As a surfer all I can say is you can do exactly like a surfer, I have had surfing pro tour guys comment that my kiting looks exactly like surfing and was quite different from all the others like that.

If you think I hop on a surfboard and use a kite and all I do is try to mimic surfing or surf you are way confused. Surf is just one aspect, I would just like to see gear more capable and more people using gear, existing or better, to it's limits.

Matteo V wrote: Anybody else think jumpy has got some veins poppin out his head right now? What's the spread on him taking his own advice - 2 more posts?
Maybe.. We all seem to like debating things to long ends. I know Jumpy likes to get quite personal with his comments, I find it unnecessary. As I have previously taken it maybe a bit too far back at him, he avoids me now. Bit like a school bully in that way. I know it annoys others here so maybe just try ignoring each other somewhat. Like has happened between me and Kitexpert. At the end it can be all quite pointless.

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:21 am

Teabageppo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 am
windsurfers are still way closer to actual surfing than on a kite. Always getting pulled along the wave...but it is what it is.
probably, if you surf with a 9 foot board with footstraps, wouldnt mind spilling the wind like they can though on a kite

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:40 pm

Teabageppo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:00 am
Just as differnet, though admittedly in different ways.

Windsurfers definitely have to have an extremely high level of skill to surf waves, just like surfers - kitesurfers do not need that level of skill to still surf waves.

Kitesurfers get to use the same size and much smaller boards (down to almost no volume) than surfers - but windsurfers are stuck on a huge (volume and size) board that you would never want to prone surf.

Windsurfers always have 100% of their body weight opposed by displacement or planing forces, just like a surfer - but kitesurfers can put a large portion of their weight on the kite at will, making tiny boards and moves that you could never dream of on a windsurfer or surfing, easily accessible.

And there is much, much more.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:10 pm

foilholio wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 am
At the end it can be all quite pointless.
I see where you are going, but I am here because there is great wisdom in this forum, even from jumpy. His opinions and ideas, no matter how off the wall and obscured by anger, are extremely valuable. To understand others point of view, you have to examine them.

foilholio wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:09 am
Well I do or have embraced all aspects of the sport. I like airstyle,wave,freestyle, even wakestyle and race. Land as well as water and snow. I come from a surf background so have a strong affinity towards it. I really like that I can have so much fun in what I consider shit surf, in fact more fun often than surfing. There is breaks and days where kiting can not compare to surfing but the vast majority of places and times kiting is by far the best.

...., I have had surfing pro tour guys comment that my kiting looks exactly like surfing and was quite different from all the others like that.
This is where I have a hard time understanding. And I must admit I am in the minority on this one. If kitesurfing (waves) is so much "more" than surfing, I want to make it "even more". I don't want to stop at the closest simulation that I can get to surfing.

And for the last statement in red...... it is hard to say this, but that seems more like an insult to me, as opposed to a compliment. Sure if I was prone surfing and a pro commented that I had that 1 pro looking run, I would be stoked to hear I looked good! But to have them comment that I simulated prone surfing while doing something completely different, is an insult. Kitesurfing just takes no real board selection skill as I can ride anything from a TT to a longboard and get similar to identical results. It takes no placement skill (reading the break from sitting on a board stationary) to catch the wave. It takes no upper body strength and timing to get to the perfect position to get on a wave with a small enough board to have fun.

None of the above stuff is even a factor in kitesurfing. Kitesurfing is about smashing the wave in a way I wish I could while prone surfing. If anything, I wish my surfing looked more like my kitesurfing.

Again, I embrace and enjoy how kite surfing is different than prone surfing. It's more than surfing, not something you have to change to make it simulate something else.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:59 pm

On videos - yes. In reality regular surfing seems to take a lot of time spent paddling and that's not adding to the visuals of the sport.

Return to “Kitesurfing”