PrfctChaos
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Perth
Style: Wave
Gear: Peak4's, Chrono V3, Skimboards, foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby PrfctChaos » Sat Oct 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Prefer 15m lines for 4 and 5, for maximum fun. Found 12m to be too short.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:59 pm

About gnarly washing machine waves conditions

To all guys - do somebody tried proposed filling peak tips with bladder /ballon, condome whatever/ without pressure just to fill space.
I thinks it can dramatically speed up peak restart and more important keep it restartable and on tensioned lines much longer. Just as gnarly condition measure.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Mon Oct 14, 2019 4:15 pm

tomtom wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:59 pm
About gnarly washing machine waves conditions

To all guys - do somebody tried proposed filling peak tips with bladder /ballon, condome whatever/ without pressure just to fill space.
I thinks it can dramatically speed up peak restart and more important keep it restartable and on tensioned lines much longer. Just as gnarly condition measure.
Is this for foiling in surf, surfboard in surf or just rough wind chop conditions?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:01 pm

Its meant for waves /surf/ where incoming wave fall over kite and submerge it - so its not longer restartable. No matter SB or FB . Wind chop as long as its not breaking usually isnt problem

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:41 pm

Hello, maybe can someone write does peak4 8m quite the same lowend as Soul 12m in comparission ? Or its can be comparible with Soul 10m ? As peak4 8m stays i think longer in the air than Soul 12m it should drag quite the same. As i know for 75 kg person Soul 12m will go from about 6 knots, does peak 8m the same?
I think more foilers thinking which is better for extteme lowend Soul or peak. Of course probably Peak4 11m does better even than Soul12m but we all need more alive kite for foiling so, question goes to peak 8m lowend. Maybe someone tryied it 1:1 in lowends ?

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:27 am

I dont think so. Soul is power beast. 8m Soul is MUCH stronger than 5m Peak. I still think that Peaks are not low wind kites. Closed cell kites are better for this. Its not just about kite staying in air. Low wind is much more about L/D. Upwind, speed etc... Even on bigger slower surf wings. And Peaks biggest advantage drift will not work as good in lower wind because you can actually go faster downwind into kite than windspeed and there is nothing that will hold kite in shape. There is not much drifting at 6kts. My biggest peak is 5m. My bigger kites are closed cell.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:34 am

Im not sure that peak 11 have much power than 12 soul either. Never flow them. Just extrapolating from Peak 5 - vs Soul 8 which i have extensive experience. There is no physical reason why Peak should be stronger. They have similar projected areas and Soul have very deep profile and much better L/D. Soul have multiple times stronger power stroke. Peak sits deep in window which give you feel of power and maybe power that is easier to manage especialy at slower board /hull/ speeds. But once you are flying soul is beast.

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:19 am

What I found on the lower end of the 8m Peak4 is that the upwind ability is pretty poor. The 12m single strut LEI that it now replaces had better performance upwind in the light conditions, but then it would be much more sensitive when going downwind, and in terms of overall staying in the air. The low end of the LEI was almost the low end of its ability to stay in the air, whereas the Peak will stay in the air comfortably in much less than what it needs to generate usable power. That definitely helps when pushing the lower limit.
The upwind ability is also quite noticeable when bodydragging out in onshores, the Peak doesn't have much forward pull on the edge of the window, and it can make a big difference when trying to go out. Luckily my technique has improved, and I can start in shallower spots than before and make my way through gaps in waves.
It's a great kite, I'm super stoked about it, but it's not the magic light wind weapon that you'd dream of.

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:21 am

I own a Peak 4 11m. I was able to get 3 different guys with Soul 12 to try the kite. Everyone was consistent in their answer, power was too close to call, and that the peak turned a little quicker and drifted better.
These users thanked the author Kitedougiefresh for the post:
Atte (Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:20 am

a99 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:41 pm
Hello, maybe can someone write does peak4 8m quite the same lowend as Soul 12m in comparission ? Or its can be comparible with Soul 10m ? As peak4 8m stays i think longer in the air than Soul 12m it should drag quite the same. As i know for 75 kg person Soul 12m will go from about 6 knots, does peak 8m the same?
I think more foilers thinking which is better for extteme lowend Soul or peak. Of course probably Peak4 11m does better even than Soul12m but we all need more alive kite for foiling so, question goes to peak 8m lowend. Maybe someone tryied it 1:1 in lowends ?
I am not sure you would want any single skin bigger than 5m.

Single skin shine in completely different environment/style of riding than anything else. To be fair, one can love 4m and absolutely not love 5m. It is THAT different with personal preferences.

Apples and oranges man. This two are not comparable no matter what.

Return to “Foil Kites”