Hpr
Medium Poster
Local Beach: West Coast Cape Town
Gear: 5th gear

Re: foil attached to twintip

Postby Hpr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:33 am

Windigo1 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:31 pm
It might work but why do it? It is going to flex like crazy it won't be pleasant it won't have much buoyancy it will be really hard to learn to switch your feet why not get a proper board!
Only one reason: traveling. With this set up you can have 1 kite (9m inflatable), 1 board (twintip) and the hydrofoil and it covers you from 10 to 35 knots. Under 20 knots you attach the foil, over that you take it off. This is obviously not for the foil purist, it is for getting on the water in most conditions. Sure if you're driving to your local you can pack your car with all types of specialized gear.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby plummet » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:09 pm

Make sure you add additional reinforcement particularly at the mast connection. The stress riser here is high and something a normal tt is not designed to take. It will most likely fail overtime if you dont add the reinforcement.

collider
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Plumb
Gear: Arcs/Foils

Postby collider » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:10 pm

Has anyone tried the remora https://remorasucks.com on a TT? I would imagine it'd work best (if it works at all) on a no concave light wind board. But if you're doing this maybe it'd be nice to not have to drill your boards up.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:23 am

elguapo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:31 pm
very long= a very long time.

i've tested nobile's twintip splitboard...
i rode barefoot, btw.. sex wax fixed the issue of back foot wanting to slip.. didnt try wearing footies or something on feet
imo, long boards with no volume are much easier to ride on a foil than short boards.
with nobile's board on a surf wing.. it floats on the side. and with curvature touchdowns didnt equal having to water start (like with my normal 85cm no volume board)

i really like the idea....as long as the rider accepts more of a pretty good twin tip ...that give the convenience of attaching your foil to...too.
Id like to get a full review from you on your test since I've been thinking about picking one up. I know it will be a huge compromise as both a TT and HF but being able to travel with just one board is so tempting. Thanks

=Jason-

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:07 pm

well.
quick review: it is literally the Nobile NHP splitboard...with the holes drilled for foiling use. (imo)
think of it...as a twintip board...that splits for travel use...that has proper holes drilled in for strapped foiling.

however the locations of those are in a much better position than their 1st split foilboard..

now i foiled with race "V" straps in front only(i do not believe they will ship with straps).. and attached to a moses mast.

the length and curve makes up for lack of volume. (had no issues with touchdowns). floats fine with surf sized wings
actually, after using micro boards so long it was actually a pleasant surprise to have room for error on waterstarts and not need to pop up immediately

relatively minor issue.. but i need surfwax to ride..just too easy for the rear foot to slide off and do the unintended splits. once i get around to it i'll probably attach a permanent traction pad back there (for grip and comfort)

it's not my favorite board for foiling (actually my least favorite)....but it is now my twintip board.
but like you said i'd take it somewhere like costa rica where i'd expect to mostly be on a twintip(but wanted to keep option of foiling without bring an extra board)

Return to “Gear Builders”