Wind range Naish Boxer 5m on hydrofoil

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014
Brand Affiliation: None

Wind range Naish Boxer 5m on hydrofoil

Postby winduser » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:34 pm

I wonder what will be the low-end on a P shinn . I weigh 120 pounds.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Re: Wind range Naish Boxer 5m on hydrofoil

Postby jumptheshark » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:53 pm

Your light, so it's likely a lot lighter than you think. How long have you been foiling? What other kites are you currently using and what range are you getting from the?

The longer I've been foiling, the smaller my kite requirements. I remember using a 9m from 14 up to almost 20 knots, and a 12m for anything under 14 knots. Now I pump an 8m for anything over 10 knots and cant seem to hold it past 17kn and have any fun. The 12m is in semi retirement and only makes a few outings a season. I weight 175lbs and ride an 1100 square cm wing. I have made do with a 6m as my small kite for foiling these last couple seasons, but just picked up a 5m single strut with plans to use it in the 17-23 knot range. At your weight, I would imagine that could drop down to 14-19 ish range?? Also picked up a 3.5m cause I'm just sick and tired of being so overpowered.

So, not really an answer, but hopefully some insight and maybe you could give us a little more info. Hopefully someone on here can give their range on that kite.
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post (total 2):
winduser (Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm) • dkazhdan (Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:53 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:43 pm

It all depends on your preference as jumptheshark says.

i usually like to ride well powered. I weigh 165 lb (75 kg). In 16 knots of wind I will be enjoying myself with my 12m kite while my friend who weighs 205 lb uses his 5m kite. And we both ride with similar wings.

So there is no definite answer as to what a kite's range is.

If you are new to hydrofoiling I recommend you use the same size kite as you would for a twin tip. It is easier to learn with good kite power.

:wink: CG
Last edited by cglazier on Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author cglazier for the post:
winduser (Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:45 pm

I used the 2018 5m Naish Boxer quite a lot on my Moses 633 foil. I weigh 65kg, so I'm similar to your weight, and if I could keep the kite in the air I could foil with it. The bottom line for me was not if the kite was powerful enough, the problem was if I dropped it, which can happen easily in light winds especially during transitions, even if you'r good.
It's a powerful kite for its size and I even used it on a twin tip when the wind was strong. A good kite worth having in your quiver. Got some good jumps too when the wind was over 25 knots :D

However to break the low wind barrier I now use a 5m Flysurfer Peak4 kite which will take me foiling when you can barely use any LEI kite. With a large or surf foil, nothing beats a Peak4 :wink:
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
winduser (Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:34 pm)

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:53 pm

Thanks for your answer. I am a beginner using a Boxer 8m but overpower very fast. Now I am using Peak4 but for some spots I should used LEI as the Peak4 is not always relauchable. I am using Peak4 8m until 11 knots, Then Peak 5m. I wonder when the Boxer 5m will backstall.

@drsurf: can you tell me at which wind that the Boxer 5m will drop.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:12 pm

Hi winduser.
Once you get under 10 knots with the 5m Boxer you have to keep it moving especially if there are lulls. It all depends if you have steady winds where you kite as well as your skill level. If you have an average of a 10 knot wind which has lulls down to 5 or 6 knots you'll have problems keeping the kite in the air. If you have Peak4s you are better off using them when it's really light as even though they're not good for relaunching, they'll stay in the air when an inflatable kite will fall. And in light wind you'll have no more luck relaunching an inflatable kite than a Peak4. So it's a wash in light wind with the Peak4 more likely to be more successful overall.

However if you're in winds over 10 knots where relaunching is critical then a 5m Boxer will be a great option. When it all comes down to it, you have to try the kite in your conditions with your skill level and your foil. No-one else is likely to be able to match these factors.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
winduser (Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:36 pm)

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:22 pm

I haven’t flown the Boxer but when foiling medium to big wings with 5-6m kites in lighter winds you have this situation where you have a lot of power on tap by moving kite through power zone but very little static grunt when you park and ride. You can’t lean into the harness and drive upwind like with larger kites and instead have to ride the board in upright posture- it teaches you to be efficient with board and kite— really work it with loops, sine curves, etc.
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post:
Peter_Frank (Wed Nov 06, 2019 6:51 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”