Sling Shot Space Skate 65 info?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
revhed
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: france
Gear: kites

Sling Shot Space Skate 65 info?

Postby revhed » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:07 pm

I was gifted a crashed and delamed Space Skate front wing 65, 1,500 cm2.
I am more than able to fix it just wonder if worth the time?
Any one ever flown one? :?:
If so, what thoughts. :idea:
Might work as mono or with ultra short fuse and stab.
Feels WAY heavy! :(
R H
Can provide photo if needed.

gl
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Sling Shot Space Skate 65 info?

Postby gl » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:30 pm

I have one of the original blue ones and like it. I use it with the mast on the fuselage not in the wing. I like it better that way. So I would say definitely fix it. It is heavy but I only notice it when carrying it.
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
revhed (Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:09 am)
Rating: 3.03%

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:19 am

gl wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:30 pm
I use it with the mast on the fuselage not in the wing. I like it better that way.
:thumb:
Any chance you could post a photo and,or describe your F wing T E to STRUT L E specs please?
I am thinking to mount STRUT L E about 1 or 2 cm in front of F wing T E to reduce fuse forces between.
Will use simple cheap double wall alu square as should fit nice into F wing, and minimal work to fit KETOS STRUT into alu using ONLY mechanical connections.
R H

gl
Medium Poster
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 4 8 and 11, Concept Air Smart, Water Smart, Pulsion, Firefly and Wave kites. Slingshot foil boards and foils, North Nugget

Postby gl » Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:53 pm

Here is picture of my setup. I did not install the mast but laid it roughly where it would go. You can see the mark from the mast on the fuselage. I have seen quite few guys where I kite with this wing and all of them use it with the mast in the wing. Having tried both, I much prefer it on the fuselage. Just feels better to me.
IMG_5112.JPG
These users thanked the author gl for the post:
revhed (Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:28 pm)

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Wed Nov 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Thank you tons, have inspired me to continue!
SS 1500 l e.JPG
SS 1500 TOP VIEW.JPG
Only because my gift is open I can see well how LITTLE surface area there is between top and bottom laminates at edges, like VERY little.
So be careful to heed K B H F rule one,1 ( do not run aground, bottom out)!
You might tell those who fly with you also.
Made worse with straps at speed, less with front only half foot hook, and best strapless!
As said I have made YEARS ago, square tube alu fuses and have found one that fits perfect into another so doubled walled.
And from first rough measures seems will fit nice into F wing square housing.
I will mount STRUT L E 1 cm past F wing T E.
Will post photos and impressions.
I love my home made 4 years ago 900 cm2 when most said was crazy to go so big, and stoked to fly 1500 cm2!
Merci encore! :thumb:
R H

DukeSilver
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Weight: 82
Local Beach: Melville Beach Western Australia
Favorite Beaches: Graveyards
Style: Hydrofoil, Strapless Surfboard
Gear: Ozone Reo, Ozone Hyperlink, Moses 683s, home built pocket foil board, Cabrinha Skillit

Postby DukeSilver » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:01 am

Just curious. How are you going to do the repair?

revhed
Very Frequent Poster

Postby revhed » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:26 pm

DukeSilver wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:01 am
Just curious. How are you going to do the repair?
I have done this a few times, so far no fails.
I open as shown , place in almost air tight black plastic sacks, inside car windshield, on dash, facing sun, walla, solar dryer.
Once SURE dry inside, use finger nail file at trailing edge in between laminates, to clean and roughen, and files to do where opens enough, sometimes folded
sandpaper. as perfect as possible, then clean acetone.
Vac sack AND heavy sand bags ready for under AND over to pressure wing in addition to vac suck!
Use now banned at least here in France Araldite 2014-2,Nasty stuff, sticks like crazy, DO NOT BREATH ANY,EVER! Quality chemical mask a MUST!
I would think a good quality epoxy should work as well? Maybe other Araldite mark?
Apply carefully to both inside surfaces, it takes overnight to dry so have time.
I like to see some squeezing out everywhere at edges to be sure well coated.
I read somewhere this maybe exact product is used in space and aeronautic "gluing" applications.
One home made fixed years ago is still a go to choice and another flown by a friend has seen use like a lot!
I have thought to wrap thin strip around edges but so far have not needed, but think I will on this HUGE and THICK wing because so little surface area
to bond top to bottom. Thinking a 5 cm strip of 150 g/m2 carbon should hold, again well sanded, cleaned, vac sacked, sand bagged!
R H
These users thanked the author revhed for the post:
DukeSilver (Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:42 pm)

gl
Medium Poster

Postby gl » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:21 pm

I had a wing a couple of years ago that I bought used that had a similar split I glued and clamped it with PL Premium which is a moisture cure polyurethane paste glue. It did a great job and it can be sanded and painted. It seems like an easier way to fix it to me. It worked great until I sold it. Also far less health risk and easy to work with.

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:28 pm

I had an Infinity 84 wing that delam’ed and Slingshot offered to warranty it. You may want to ask, can’t hurt to try. I gave my old one to a buddy who fixed it, I suggested he post what he did.

I have an H4 / Space Skate that I bought for a sup foil – which it isn’t really all that great for. But it turns out it is quite fun for kiting, lots of lift (can use small kite) and really turn-y. And that is now the about face Slingshot has done on their marketing of this wing, aimed at the kite foil crowd, not surf foiling. Apparently it’s their designer’s favourite foil wing. I call it a “happy accident”, where a semi-failure in design becomes the lemon for the lemonade.

atomic-chomik
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The wild west
Style: Freeride/Surf
Gear: North Dice 8 and 10m
North Neo 12m
OR Prodigy 7m
OR Prodigy 9.5.
OR Prodigy 12m
2014 Rebel 5m and 8m
OR 17M Flite
OR Duke
Cabrinha Phenom 5'8

Postby atomic-chomik » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:53 am

So i was gifted an 84 SS sup wing that was split in the same manner. To fix it i cleaned out the crack, mixed up some Resin Research epoxy and Anti-Sag whereupon i smeared it inside the crack and clamped tight.
Secondly, I taped an inch back from the LE of the wing all the way around. (top and bottom). Then i sanded the LE exposed with 100 grit to prep for glass. Then i vacuum bagged a strip of tri-axial S glass onto the LE. Looked pretty good from there but i'm all about making s*% as strong as possible so i hand laminated another layer or 2 of 3.7 oz S-Glass over LE.

There is a bit of a transition/lip where the glass meets the main body of the wing because i haven't got around to sanding i. To be honest I've noticed zero difference while using it. For larger wings that go slower you just don't hit the speeds where it matters too much IMHO. Email me if you wanna see pic.
These users thanked the author atomic-chomik for the post (total 2):
DukeSilver (Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:26 pm) • revhed (Tue Nov 12, 2019 9:32 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”