Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Best wetsuits for kiting 2020

Postby dracop » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:06 am

Thoughts on the best wetsuits for kitesurfing in 2020?

A few years ago I had a positive experience with a NP Mission 4/3 full suit while in CPT. Abit warm for my tastes though so I was thinking of doing a 3/2 full suit this January for a trip to CPT. Things I liked and things I would look for improvement:

Liked the Yamamoto neoprene and the internal lining, was super warm!
FZ > BZ all day long

Would love for the suit to stop just below my calf instead of going down too low by my feet
Drainage holes in both ankles and forearms
Either a FZ Chest or possibly one of these new Zip Free designs? whats the scoop on those?
Better fit - I am tall and stocky, with a 48" chest and 36" belt waist. Most wetsuit companies seem to equate larger sizes with fatter shapes, leaving alot of empty space in the suit. ANy athletic fit brands out there?

Any suggestions of what I should be researching other than an updated NP Mission 3/2? Model names in addition to the brand name would help

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Best wetsuits for kiting 2020

Postby TomW » Thu Nov 07, 2019 2:32 pm

It's a good question. Most wetsuits are built for prone surfing and soaking your butt sitting waiting for waves. I've tried a few through the years and used several models of ripcurl. From the E-bomb to the top of the line flashbomb. There's a lot of personal preference and it depends on the conditions. I kite year round in full suits at 56N latitude. 3-2 E-bomb , 4-3 flashbomb , 5-6mm xcel drylock with integrated hood.

Overall my favourite is the 5-6 xcel drylock. I would like to get a 3-2 drylock, but expensive. My preference is front zip. Not tried zip free but researched it and apparently is most beneficial while prone surfing and paddling.

The ripcurl curls have more tendency to roll up at ankle, but that could be due to that they are 3-2 and 4-3 thickness. I'm using boots year round too.

Xcel boots and gloves are best of many I've used. I think that says a lot, they are more difficult to get right.

That said, if it doesn't fit right, everything else is irrelevant.

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:48 pm

I've gone though a ton of wetsuits and I ride anything from 28C water down to 0C and snowing.
I've tried back zips, front zips and zipless.
I had a 3/2 (long arm shorty) & 4/3 zipless mystic majestic this year and they were amazing.
Very first time putting them on was very difficult for me, but once it stretched to fit my body a little better, I loved them.
I eventually decided zipless is not best for my body shape. I'm 5'8" 175 and the weight is not in my gut, its in my shoulders. I think if you're a skinnier or more typical shaped guy the zipless would be perfect, I just felt like I was stretching it too much getting into it and I was worried I'd rip it.
Now I"ve got front zip Mystic Majestics and they're still harder to get into than back zips, but once you get the technique its fine, I find fronts work better for me. I'd never go back zip again.
For cold water, last year I was on a 5/3 hooded Mystic Legend front zip and it was amazing! Super warm, very flexible, I could wear that thing all day. Older no premium suits I've had in the past limit your mobility a ton.
Now I"m on a 6/4 Mystic hooded Voltt and its another step up above the legend. I've ridden it a few times now and its soooo warm and tons of mobility. It doesn't feel like it has an extra mil, just super comfy and cozy, highly recommend it.
I also highly recommend the integrated hood if you'll be in cold water. They're much easier to take on/off while you're riding. I find the separate hoods are not comfortable to slip back over your neck and they can let some water in when crashing.
All mystic suits come with ankle straps, so no rolling up, and no jelly calfs. If water does get in, there's vents to let the water out.
Highly recommend the Mystic suits if you're kiting.
I also surf with them in ice cold water and love em.

good luck!

DIALS
Rare Poster
Local Beach: TRAMORE BAY WATERFORD IRELAND
Favorite Beaches: T-BAY
Style: NOVICE
Gear: DUOTONE

Postby DIALS » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:59 pm

Dont get a Mystic Star or Gul Response unless you like the smell of weed....As in Cannabis unless you like cannabis ,then you wont know the difference,them suits will stink out the house and everything in it.. I like Prolimit wetsuits..80KG -5-10in and regular build and the Med is a good fit.

gozokiteboarding
Medium Poster
Local Beach: fort pierce jetty
Favorite Beaches: fort pierce inlet
hatterass and the florida keys, cozumel
Style: wake
Gear: Eclipse 8m,10m, 12m, thruster and 12m kima
Brand Affiliation: Eclipse team rider

Postby gozokiteboarding » Thu Nov 07, 2019 5:29 pm

have the mission 32 front zip and love it from Neil Pryde, and it is warm and super stretchy, it is a massive improvement over my old NP suit, It is way stretchier, and the liner is much softer, and the quality of the material is much improved. I have had for about 6 months this will be my first winter with and will update once I use it more. I do like the expansion panels in the arms and do believe they help with forearm fatigue though it could be just in my mind.

https://www.neilpryde.com/products/miss ... 2100967447

When I tried them on at the store, I did notice the front zip fit me better than the back zip, and the shop employee told me it is because of wetsuit companies design front zip suits for a more athletic fit, and back zip for a more relaxed fit. He assumes this is because front zips tend to be a bit more technical to put on and more advanced riders tend to be willing to sacrifice the ease of putting it on and off for the greater range of motion it allows, vs. back zips
These users thanked the author gozokiteboarding for the post:
dracop (Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:15 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Eckhardt
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Ijmuiden, wijk aan zee
Style: Big air and rookie waverider
Gear: Ozone edge 11 and 8
Bandit S 9m

Postby Eckhardt » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:23 pm

elmarco wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:48 pm
I've gone though a ton of wetsuits and I ride anything from 28C water down to 0C and snowing.
I've tried back zips, front zips and zipless.
I had a 3/2 (long arm shorty) & 4/3 zipless mystic majestic this year and they were amazing.
Very first time putting them on was very difficult for me, but once it stretched to fit my body a little better, I loved them.
I eventually decided zipless is not best for my body shape. I'm 5'8" 175 and the weight is not in my gut, its in my shoulders. I think if you're a skinnier or more typical shaped guy the zipless would be perfect, I just felt like I was stretching it too much getting into it and I was worried I'd rip it.
Now I"ve got front zip Mystic Majestics and they're still harder to get into than back zips, but once you get the technique its fine, I find fronts work better for me. I'd never go back zip again.
For cold water, last year I was on a 5/3 hooded Mystic Legend front zip and it was amazing! Super warm, very flexible, I could wear that thing all day. Older no premium suits I've had in the past limit your mobility a ton.
Now I"m on a 6/4 Mystic hooded Voltt and its another step up above the legend. I've ridden it a few times now and its soooo warm and tons of mobility. It doesn't feel like it has an extra mil, just super comfy and cozy, highly recommend it.
I also highly recommend the integrated hood if you'll be in cold water. They're much easier to take on/off while you're riding. I find the separate hoods are not comfortable to slip back over your neck and they can let some water in when crashing.
All mystic suits come with ankle straps, so no rolling up, and no jelly calfs. If water does get in, there's vents to let the water out.
Highly recommend the Mystic suits if you're kiting.
I also surf with them in ice cold water and love em.

good luck!
I like the way they fit and warm indeed, but the quality sucks. 450 euro for a Wetsuit that last only one year.... Got myself a manera magma 5.4.3 which is at least as warm but much better quality. I kite in watertemp down to about 4 degrees celsius and airtemp down to 0

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:41 pm

I love my manera wetsuits, good quality. I try to buy them from last year to get discount.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:00 am

DIALS wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:59 pm
Dont get a Mystic Star or Gul Response unless you like the smell of weed....As in Cannabis unless you like cannabis ,then you wont know the difference,them suits will stink out the house and everything in it.. I like Prolimit wetsuits..80KG -5-10in and regular build and the Med is a good fit.

I have had GUL response suits for years, bought one this year too, never had any of them smell.
Same for other brands I use.

8) Peter

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:39 am

A new thing in surf wetsuits is sewing in some Eva foam.. like small floaties. interesting idea. Could become a thing..

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:44 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:39 am
A new thing in surf wetsuits is sewing in some Eva foam.. like small floaties. interesting idea. Could become a thing..
I want one that will give me bigger pecs, biceps, etc. :lol:

Seriously, I am looking to replace my old Quiksilver 3/2 with a 4/3 before it gets too cold. I loved my Quiksilver as it lasted over 10 years. I ordered online twice to replace it and had to send both back as they did not fit right (felt like someone was strangling me around my neck and shoulders). Went to a local shop in September, but they did not have a 4/3. Anyone else have this problem ordering online? I'm 6'2" and 206 lbs.

Return to “Kitesurfing”