marathon key Florida - foiling

Forum for kitesurfers
nicor
Frequent Poster
Been thanked: 0

marathon key Florida - foiling

Postby nicor » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:18 pm

Hi guys,

Heading the Marathon Key in March and want to bring my kite stuff. I have all sorts for boards and kites (TT, surf board and foil). What's the optimal set up? (assuming you can only bring two boards and few kites (my largest is 12M)

I was thinking of just bringing my foil and 9m, but not sure if its too shallow.

Thanks

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Re: marathon key Florida - foiling

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 07, 2019 4:41 pm

I haven't started foiling yet, regularly anyway, but there have been times I struck bottom with shallow twin tip fins off there. If you walk out and avoid sand bars on the Atlantic side you should be able to foil. Be real careful NOT to hit any sand bars while you are foiling, there have been some nasty accidents related to that. You may have good wind in March, or not, it varies. Historically, March is our best month for wind but typical weather has lost a lot of meaning here and elsewhere. You may get by with a 12 m as your largest kite with a foil but unless you are quite light, you'll want something larger for twin tip use if lighter winds are on. How much do you weigh? Winds may be less than 10 kts. to 20, 25 kts.+ I would try to cover the wind range with gear if feasible.

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Thu Nov 07, 2019 6:12 pm

I"m about 185 lbs.

-With my surf foil and 9m (AR ultra) is good to 8-10 knts...amazing light wind machines!
-Surf boards include 5'2 BWS Stallion and 5'2" Firewire SP (my light wind sb)
-I have a 134 shinn Monk and 145 Xenon Laluz (my light wind TT)

-So I know my foil will cover the whole wind range with a 7M and 9M, but i'm quite concerned about grounding it since I don't know the area and it seems quite shallow in parts from what I can tell.
-My surfboards will work too, but I guess it might problematic with the fins and shallow water. I know I can use my firewire in 10-12kts with a 12M
-I can bring my TTs, but certainly the 12M will not be enough for even my bigger board in 11 knots or less.

I think the question is really how deep the water is in the kite areas? I might have no choice but to bring my TTs. although I much prefer my surfs and foil
Last edited by nicor on Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:41 pm

You sound well setup with a smaller kite and foil then. I called down to Shana with https://othersideboardsports.com/ with specific questions about foiling. They have several operations at locations from Islamorada to Marathon. She told me that folks foil off Curry Hammock on occasion if they are careful to avoid the shallow areas. Some areas become exposed at low tide. Once you are beyond a half mile and the larger sand bar to the north, it is pretty wide open What may be of greater interest is a new kiteboarding resort, the Grassy Flats Resort & Beach Club, http://www.grassyflats.com/ designed by and operated for kiteboarders on Marathon. The Otherside created the resort for riders. She tells me folks foil in and out of there all day long. They might be able to rent boards and perhaps kites (not so sure about the later, but call to find out). It is a rare thing to have a resort with easy launch, landing and riding conditions in the Keys. I would give them a call to get the info first person.
These users thanked the author RickI for the post:
nicor (Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Geechie Boy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Folly beach sc
Favorite Beaches: Folly
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: Rrd religions
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby Geechie Boy » Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:08 am

Coco plum beach in marathon is good. It has public parking and a clean strip of sand to launch. You have to walk out a few hundred yards to get to waist/chest deep water. There are a couple of docks at the south end which have 8 feet of water at the end. If you can ride from the beach access south to key colony you'll be set. I always visited the first week in January and the wind would be from the north which is very offshore there and almost impossible to ride. You really need a east or south wind for the ocean side to work. West side launches are hard to find and the water gets rough on north wind. Check with the other side company for some west options. Another problem I had each year was the sea grass. Once the wind becomes onshore it piles the grass up on the windward side of the island and makes riding difficult. Over 4 weeklong trips I probably got 3 good sessions.
These users thanked the author Geechie Boy for the post:
nicor (Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:58 pm

Thanks guys, great intel!

Do you know of any of the potential launch sites on the North side? would really like to scope out the lay of the land ahead of time.

I didn't realize weeds would be a problem too...ha...this does not concern me for my tt or sb, but is not so great for the foil option. I'll call down to Grassy Flats so see what else I can find out.

Geechie Boy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Folly beach sc
Favorite Beaches: Folly
Style: Strapless wave
Gear: Rrd religions
Has thanked: 0

Postby Geechie Boy » Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 am

I can't remember the exact spots but there are some launches on the bay side. You'll have to do some digging. In marathon there is a public boat landing across from key colony that is possible to launch from. I never did it cause it was sketchy,small area close to road, climbing over rock entry, stuff like that but doable. South of the seven mile bridge there are a few spots, the one legitimate was at an rv park that faces north with small sandy beach can't remember name maybe fiesta key or ohio key, you'll find it pretty easy driving. Good luck

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:40 pm

Geechie Boy wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 2:46 am
I can't remember the exact spots but there are some launches on the bay side. You'll have to do some digging. In marathon there is a public boat landing across from key colony that is possible to launch from. I never did it cause it was sketchy,small area close to road, climbing over rock entry, stuff like that but doable. South of the seven mile bridge there are a few spots, the one legitimate was at an rv park that faces north with small sandy beach can't remember name maybe fiesta key or ohio key, you'll find it pretty easy driving. Good luck
That RV park you’re talking about is Sunshine Key RV Resort (just south of 7 mile bridge). I’ve kited there since 2004ish. Great on a N to NE direction launching from the east side of the park and riding north. You do have to walk your way into the channel for foiling, but it’s only 50-75 yards out. North of the island (beyond 50 yards or so) is plenty deep but just keep an eye out for lobster pot buoys. If too much East direction, then you’re better off with the Atlantic side. I always brought a 24’ center console with me and fished on the light wind days. Like being in heaven....

I’ll be in Key Colony Beach the last 2 weeks of March 2020 with both kite foil and wing foil gear,....and the same 24’ center console😀. Now I can wing, kite and fish!

nicor
Frequent Poster

Postby nicor » Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:36 pm

Thanks guys,

I'm header there next weekend, it"s probably a bit early to look at the forecast, but right now looking northerly and be bit cool. So I'll have to bring my wetsuit.

I going to bring my 9M ultra and 12M lithium. with my 134 TT and foil. That should cover me for everything but the

Return to “Kitesurfing”