Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Kite Release Fuse

Here you can exchange your experience and datas about your home build boards
matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Kite Release Fuse

Postby matth » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:58 pm

I have a simple solution to never getting lofted.....avoid shit ass conditions.....works great!!!!!!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:55 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:42 pm
leeuwen wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:29 am
I think the easiest implementation would not be a fuse but some way of doing an unhooked launch without the unhooking resulting in a fully powered bar.
I imagine a stopperball below the bar would easily do this for you.
Basically it will get yanked out of your hands it is to much.
Just hold the chicken loop in your hand. Hold the chicken loop and not the bar. The kite rests on its shoulder on the ground without need for bar input. It’s like a tethered ghost launch but rather than hooking the chicken loop to a hard object it is in your hand.
That is only good until you get the kite in the air when you hook in.

We found in the old days that you tended to grip harder when the bar was yanked.

The idea with the kite release is as the OP is suggesting, something that would work as you are flying the kite on land or on water in a tricky spot.

You also have to remember in 2006, quick releases were not what they are today, many of them were not effective under load so a standard quick release on the bar was a possible solution. Slingshot had their surefire bar quick release as a possible solution. It also had some issues.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2343282&hilit=Kirnak

What I find frustrating is that a decade later we are having the same conversations about safety and equipment we had over a decade ago.

I find it mildly encouraging that the afnor standard for quick releases is now an iso standard. I find it very frustrating that the industry has not addressed color coding, kook proof connections, and I don’t see any industry wide push for safety or standardization.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:57 am

^
Yes, but kiting is not really the sport for everyone.

Just like driving a car is not either. But they added 'safety' to sell more.

And than we have so expensive release which releases by itself ;)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:51 am

As others have mentioned the fuse idea has been knocking around for years and personally I don't think that it is a viable concept nor do I think it is necessary with modern gear.

However with the advent of rear line trim systems there is no trim strap to limit bar throw and so you could have a resettable force activated stopper ball release mechanism to allow the bar access to further throw and coupled with a mini 5th style bridle have the kite ~ 80-90% depower. For big kites this would put the bar out of reach but it could be retrieved by pulling in a meter or so of center line. Current stopper balls are more or less supposed to do that anyway. Also sheeting out is nearly always enough to prevent lofting and if you are going to be hit by a squall you will have the kite low ready to release. I can't see a guy riding C kites wanting any fuse system even though this style of kite is probably more vulnerable through less depower.

Of course you still have to train yourself to let go of the bar.

On my small kites, 6, 5.5 & 4 I just run a long throw which, depowers ~ as much as a mini 5th, as the norm. Disadvantage is I have to adjust trim for the conditions at pigtails and hand over hand bar spin to untwist after loops - ok for me with small kites but not big kites but maybe it would be if I had rear line trim bars!

Return to “Gear Builders”