Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Flysurfer Soul 12 safety release problem

Forum for kitesurfers
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Soul 12 safety release problem

Postby Foil » Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:52 am

Soleas wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:31 pm
I just changed a safety line from a Flysurfer infinity bar. The line is longer than half of the length of the lines. The lines are 20m (17+3) meaning that the safety line is more than 10m long( where it stops ). As this bar is to be used up to a 12m Soul (50 cm bar) i guess the soul needs a lot of slack when released to be completely depowered. I guess more than 10meters since the line lenght is longer than half if the 20m lines. Much more than on inflatables. If you are using a bar which is trimmed for an inflatable you will definetly need to make the stopper much longer on the depower line. Yes the Soul 12m wingspan is less than 10m but dont forget that the briddle is a couple of meters long, maybe more?
that makes a lot of sense to me, I had forgot about the extra bridal length on foil kites and how it might affect a release situation,
I wonder is this is the reason Ozone bars are offered in standard design and also in water foil design which are for foil kites :?:

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:57 pm

The Bridlelength has no effect to the length of the Safetyrelease.
All our 4 Liner Bars work with all sizes of our kites (LEI and FOILS).
If anyone want to check the safety, do that at a no wind day at the ground. Just fix the FLS-Endline (Saftet) and look that if you pull at the kite that only the front Safyteline has any tension and no other flying line.

Cheers, Armin

Soleas
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Style: BIG AIR
Gear: Epic Screamer, Flysurfer Soul
Brand Affiliation: Epickites Cyprus Rep/Rider, Kiteflex team rider

Postby Soleas » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:45 pm

Even if the bridle length affects or not the problem is quite obvious here. The stopper point on the flysurfer bars is very long, longer than half the length of the lines and its obvious that it is trimmed to be able to flag out all Flysurfer kites and sizes. Most of the bars in the market for inflatables have the stopper on the safety line at about 1/3 of the line length.

I use an Epic kites bar on my Soul 10m and what i did to fix this problem was very simple. I just reversed the safety line ( one of the front lines ) and now the stopper is at the 2/3 of the line lentgh which covers the slack needed to flag out my 10m Soul.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:14 pm

Or don't use a stopper...

Tomlutz
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Weight: 83
Local Beach: Switzerland
Gear: TT, Foil Moses Onda, Soul 8, Pansh Genesis, Concept Air Pulsion 18m, Kauper XT Falocn 11 and 13

Back lines flag out?

Postby Tomlutz » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:47 am

Recently I had an old Flysurfer Speed 7m in gusty 25 to 35 knots. For some reason both front lines snapped, so the kite flagged out on both back lines. It peacefully stayed in the water, little pull, never flew off again or turned. Quite easy to pack and swim home despite strong winds - it is not a huge kite.

Would flagging out on one or even both back lines be better than a SFS?

Interested in your comments ...

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:13 pm

Hello.

From our experience, it is not better. To add a safety line to the backline in a nice way is also a challenge.

Cheers, Armin

Ice101
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Free ride want to branch into strapless riding and more freestyle

Postby Ice101 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:47 am

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:22 pm
I fly a soul 21 with the stock bar and when I release it can get very frisky. This thread got me thinking. I put 3 meter extensions on it would that affect the flag out? This should be simple but I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the concept. But I love my soul, my only wish is it was a little tougher. I use my gear on sea, land, and snow therefore it gets some rough use. But on the plus side my sewing skills are getting better :thumb:
Have you had cell blow outs?

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:34 am

:angryfire: No mostly leading edge tears. Crashed it on a dam Dam face, to make it worse the rocks were covered with Gypsum crystals. Might as well have crashed it on a field of broken glass. :angryfire: :angryfire: :bye:

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:18 pm

HI Anthony.

That is very said to hear. We already add our thicker deluxe+ material to the leading Eedge and moved the ridgid foils few mm from the trailing Nose away to avoid/reduce Damages in such worst cases as much as possible. To fix holes here, you can use white/transparent sticky tape from the inside. That sticks well to deluxe Material.

I am sorry for you and your kite, Armin :-(

Return to “Kitesurfing”