Thanks to the rescuers :thumb:

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Re: NYPD divers rescue stranded kitesurfer in Queens

Postby madworld » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:53 pm

Monday night quarter back comments, were was his safety knife? Why did't he roll up his lines to not get tangled in them, And why did he kook out in the first place? Did he have a Vhf radio and or cell phone with him. etc etc etc.

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ELI » Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:12 pm

Local forum has him as most rescued kiter in NY,Wind chill was 30*f/-1 c WTF
These users thanked the author ELI for the post:
madworld (Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:13 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm

Interesting how is in USA when rescue forces working on your rescue ? Later you wil get (huge) bill for heir work expenses or no ?

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:16 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 5:13 pm
Interesting how is in USA when rescue forces working on your rescue ? Later you wil get (huge) bill for heir work expenses or no ?
Yes, that often happens in complex rescue operations (e.g., air lifting climbers from a rock face). If helicopters and specially trained teams are involved, it is expensive. In some cases (perhaps, this one?), the rescued party knowingly assumed the risks of a dangerous and possibly irresponsible activity. It sometimes seems fair for the irresponsible rescued party to pay for the operation that he or she necessitated. If not, then taxpayers (the general public) have to pay.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
a99 (Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm)

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:17 pm

a99 wrote:
The Coast Guard does not charge a fee to provide assistance to a boat at sea. ... The Coast Guard is expressly prohibited by statute (Title 46 US Code, sec. 2110) from charging a fee for any search and rescue service, so this is not something that is subject to a discretionary waiver.

Local city and state agencies may have different policies depending on how negligent you were.
These users thanked the author madworld for the post:
a99 (Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm)

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:12 pm

a99 wrote:
Usually you don't get billed, the city, state or nation assumes the bill. Otherwise, rescue services would be a lot more reluctant to head out I mean if you get billed and fight the bill in court rescue services won't get paid. For instance in this case the guy didn't seem to be in much danger and suffered mostly embarrassment at finding his name in the paper followed by "kook" and if given a bill would probably have won in court, so the rescue services might not have gone out. Now of course there are some exceptions to this where the rescued party has to pay a fee but generally the city and state assumes the fee. So for instance, if the city or state finds you guilty of "reckless behavior" they will bill you for the services, for instance, that drunk guy that swam from USA to Canada got some sort of fine, I think $10,000 or so, but that didn't come close to paying for the rescue services it's more of a punitive thing so that drunks think twice before they go "Hold my beer."

For kiters in the USA usually when they get a call it's more of an excuse for them to break out all of their rescue gear and not have to pull a body out of the water, and merely get to embarrass a kiter.

Out west where skiers routinely get into trouble getting lost and into avalanches backcountry it's different, it happens too much so they want to bill you, again this isn't to recover cost but to try to get people to think twice before doing something stupid.

I don't think rescue services usually get much money back even when they charge rescue fees.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
a99 (Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:21 pm)

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:26 pm

madworld wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:53 pm
Monday night quarter back comments, were was his safety knife? Why did't he roll up his lines to not get tangled in them, And why did he kook out in the first place? Did he have a Vhf radio and or cell phone with him. etc etc etc.
I'm curious how many people carry a safety knife? How many have ever used it?

It's quite possible he wasn't really "in trouble", but a bystander on shore called the emergency services. It's quite easy to get tangled up in the lines before you get a chance to roll up your lines . .. & then can't really do it. Last resort would be to cut your lines (assuming you have a knife handy).

The only time I have been "rescued" in 35 years of windsurfing/kiting was at Presque Isle on Lake Erie. Strong onshore wind that started to diminish. The leading edge of my kite suddenly completely deflated & in the waves I managed to get somewhat wrapped in my lines. Wasn't a big deal as I was not that far out & drifting directly on to shore. However, a large US Coast Guard boat (with a crew of perhaps 12 all in survival gear) which had apparently been out on manoeuvres on the lake came in, spotted me & insisted on picking me up. They were dead set on cutting the lines to the kite but fortunately one of them was a kiter & convinced them to pull me on board with out cutting the lines. They were quite pleasant about it & didn't charge me anything, but obviously hadn't gone out specifically to pick me up.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:32 pm

I've been "rescued" many times. one time I was ice kiting out on the lake where I live and I went inside my apartment to make a peanut butter sandwich and chicken soup so I ate that came back outside and saw six fire trucks rescue operations police and all the sirens for going and I wondered what was going on I asked one of the first responders what happened did someone die and they said someone was out on the lake and got pulled under the ice (ice was two feet thick that day) all we can do now is go recover the body I said well I know what's going on now I went up to the scene of the action found the guy who had pulled my kite off the ice he had twisted it in a ball cut everything and removed the octopus system to deflate the kite my screw was yanked out none of the quick releases were pulled they did it all with brute force I said can I have my kite and then they all left. So yeah that stuff happens a lot. spectators see a kite and their eyes have no idea what they think they are seeing they see someone drowning pretty much all the time if they can't understand it. I'm sure this guy was fine spectators will call and report a drowning no matter what they see because they just can't process the information

Return to “Kitesurfing”