Local Beach: Cobbosseecontee lake Maine
Style: snowboard
Gear: apex V 3.5 M, Gin Shaman 2 9 M.
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

one bar for multiple kites

Postby Maineframe » Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm

What do people think about sharing one bar with multiple kites as a way to save some money?

I'm just getting started in the sport and will soon own two kites. Most likely both HQ apex v's in the 3.5 meter and the 8 meter. Does it make since to purchase just one bar. In this case the hq "one" bar and switch it between kites, or is this a foolish notion? As we all know bars are expensive and if I can share a bar between kites I'd be happy to do so. I realize I am probably unaware of the logistics, pros/cons of doing this. What do those of you with more experience think. A good way to save some initial costs or foolish noob mistake.

Thanks for your input.
Maineframe

Matteo V

Re: one bar for multiple kites

Postby Matteo V » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:23 pm

Maineframe wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:36 pm
What do people think about sharing one bar with multiple kites as a way to save some money?

I'm just getting started in the sport and will soon own two kites. Most likely both HQ apex v's in the 3.5 meter and the 8 meter. Does it make since to purchase just one bar. In this case the hq "one" bar and switch it between kites, or is this a foolish notion? As we all know bars are expensive and if I can share a bar between kites I'd be happy to do so. I realize I am probably unaware of the logistics, pros/cons of doing this. What do those of you with more experience think. A good way to save some initial costs or foolish noob mistake.

Thanks for your input.
Maineframe
For inflatables and even open or closed cell foils, big bars are nice for big kites, and smaller bars for little kites. BUT THAT IS REALLY ONLY FOR BEGINNERS OR INTERMEDIATES.

Once you get really good at instinctual kite control (not looking at the kite, or falling down without crashing your kite too), you can easily control a smaller kite on a big bar. But a smaller bar with a big kite will never turn fast enough for you.

BUT - 3.5m and 8m are both small kites, so one small/medium bar should work fine for those two. Any reason you are set on the Apex series?

Maineframe
Rare Poster

Postby Maineframe » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:13 pm

How are the logistics of setting up the lines? Is it as simple as a larks head knot to the bridles? No line length issues etc.? The primary lines stay with the bar and are therefore also shared between kites? Am I thinking about this correctly?

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:23 pm

I agree with Matteo V advice and would add the following.

You could purchase a bar which allows for different lengths by rigging the rear leaders on the inside or outside of the bar horns. This could cater for any future purchase of larger kites.

To avoid bridle and flying line tangles:
You need a little more organisation when de-rigging. I use 2 short pieces of line. I load the flying lines on one and the kite pigs on the other. Then with careful packing and winding all you have to is reconnect the lines in order and it is if you had left the bar connected. There are other ways of doing it and it takes practice. You can also just use one piece of line for the flying lines and lay out the kite before connection. Develope a system that works for you and check all is good before launching.

DON'T JUST THROW THE BRIDLE IN THE BAG TIE THE PIGS OFF SO THEY STAY PUT NEAR THE BAG OPENING!

Regards Herman

Maineframe
Rare Poster

Postby Maineframe » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm

Thanks for all the input. I chose the apex series due to price point and quality, entry level depower. Going to be learning with my wife and son and they probably would benefit from something a little more tame. 3.5 meter is a trainer kite/future buggy kite. I am a little concerned about the 8 meter not being large enough. All three of us are 140 lbs. Sharing the kite for now. More kites later if we like.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:41 am

Maineframe wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:34 pm
Thanks for all the input. I chose the apex series due to price point and quality, entry level depower. Going to be learning with my wife and son and they probably would benefit from something a little more tame. 3.5 meter is a trainer kite/future buggy kite. I am a little concerned about the 8 meter not being large enough. All three of us are 140 lbs. Sharing the kite for now. More kites later if we like.
The Ozone "Access" series is worth the money for beginners. Of all of Ozone's kites, this one nailed it as far as being exactly what they were going for. It is the easiest and most friendly snowkite on the market.

The HQ "Apex" series (V2-V4) was a good kite for certain things. And I highly would recommend them in the 3-3.5m size as they really teach you the full range of controls on any kite. But for me, V2-V4 were not great kites past the learning stages in the larger sizes. When the Montana 8 came out (complete redesign from the 7), I actually felt it was a more beginner oriented kite than the Apex.

You need to talk to HardwaterKiter - they know the strengths of Ozone vs HQ and have been around for long enough to give you advice on the evolution of open cell foils. They have also provided some great advice in forums, kind of making me feel like they are not in it just for making a sale.

https://www.hardwaterkiter.com/

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:49 am

I agree with Matteo. The Apex series is outdated. Montana is good. Though I don't remember the name I flew an HQ foil at Ivanpah Buggy blast last year and loved it. Huge improvement to the Apex series which I own and have flown.

Return to “Snow / Land”