Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The best kite for Teaching?

Forum for kitesurfers
Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: The best kite for Teaching?

Postby Matteo V » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:56 pm

Schools gear toward fast progress for all learning abilities. That is one type of kite

Truly learning the full range of capabilities of a kite requires a different kite. Lots of beginner kites of the last 8 years could not be made to practically backstall. And sometimes backstall is the tool that is needed for certain situations. High depower kites often are too sensitive to "micro sheet" to teach maximum efficiency. Thus you see lots of newer kiters out there that do not sheet at different angles to the wind.

"Bad" kites shaped the skills of yesteryear. Good kites are "limiting" many newbies skill development, but in a safe manner.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:33 pm

jumptheshark wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:16 pm
Almost all the one strut kites out are dual marketed as beginner friendly. Will take a while to fully convince people that they can take over the school role, but I bet the Evo is in its last couple seasons. There is just so much overlap in the design brief.
I know one school that uses neos exclusively for teaching. The mono, at least in the recent past, always reminded me of a lighter neo with less upper wind range.

The 2019 mono is different in the past and has a lower aspect ratio and sits farther back in the windows. The foil guys riding tell me it is has more power this year.

Since the evo outline stayed the same, there is actually less overlap between the evo and mono in my mind.

The evo, neo, and mono are listed as the entry easy relaunch/stability kites in that order.

I’d pick the mono or neo for those first lessons, drag, relaunch, get up and going. Mono in less gusty locations.

I think the evo is a better upwind kite, has good wind range, and has a lighter bar feel so once you do get up and riding and starting to stay upwind, I would pick that kite.

It will be interesting to see if kite design evolves and one strut kites become as rigid as three strut kites. We’ve already seen an evolution to 3 strut as the all around number and are there anymore seven strut kites?
BBF591E2-3BF2-4BD5-97FA-2CB0C4641BD7.jpeg

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil

Postby Dirk » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:10 pm

I taught my son to kitesurf on the Naish Pivot and Naish Slash. Stable in the air, easy to relaunch. Naish Boxer would do the job very well as well especially in light winds.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm

I wont see any advantage one strut kite have for beginner. They are actually more difficult to relaunch. Maybe only for beach flying in sub 9 knots.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Postby SENDIT! » Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:41 pm

tomtom wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:16 pm
I wont see any advantage one strut kite have for beginner. They are actually more difficult to relaunch. Maybe only for beach flying in sub 9 knots.
I think that's the only advantage, really. Maybe you're able to take a little smaller kite out for less power, but still be able to fly it without any of the stalling you get from doing that with a 3 or 5 strut kite that's a little too small for that wind range.

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Peak 4 is superior for ground school especially considering how easy it is to fly and how hard it is to break.

I found great success in teaching waterstart through upwind riding to my kids on the Boxer. It’s easier to keep in the sky than 3 stut kites from the Naish especially in medium to light winds. Relaunch is superb. Both are needed to get over the fun threshold quickly.

winduser
Medium Poster
Gear: 2014

Postby winduser » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:30 pm

"by jakemoore » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:31 pm

Peak 4 is superior for ground school especially considering how easy it is to fly and how hard it is to break.

I found great success in teaching waterstart through upwind riding to my kids on the Boxer. It’s easier to keep in the sky than 3 stut kites from the Naish especially in medium to light winds. Relaunch is superb. Both are needed to get over the fun threshold quickly."

!00% agree

:thumb: :thumb:

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:50 pm

Peak 4 is a good choice. Single skins are indestructible. Water relaunch could be an issue in deep water. I think single struts would be a good additional option.

Kees
Medium Poster
Weight: 200lbs
Local Beach: Panama City beach, Fl
Style: Freeride
Gear: Lieuwe shotgun, lite wave wing, LF overdrive, pivot, core xr6

Postby Kees » Sat Nov 23, 2019 5:40 am

I don’t understand why people recommend the Peak4 for beginner kiters, not that it’s a bad kite, but relaunch would be tricky for a advanced kiter and I would imagine almost impossible for a beginner? I remember my beginnings and can’t count the times I dropped my kite. :pump:

caduo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: cabrinha

Postby caduo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:40 am

nothing better than any delta shape,3 or 5 struts,i think most ,if not all,of these kites are coming with three struts now.
one strut kites maybe quite tricky to relaunch from the water sometimes,also not a good idea to crush them very often or leave them all day flapping under the sun.
one more reason is that many schools are selling their equipment at the end of the season and it s easier to sell this kind of kites.

Return to “Kitesurfing”