Forum for kitesurfers
FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The circle of trust

Postby FLandOBX » Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:35 am
FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:26 pm
But, GoJoe? Sorry. GoJoe = Kooksville. :D
....But I am not a fan of those too self concious to use something they might get a benifit out of. That is worse than a kook, in my book.
I absolutely agree with that.

For me, it has nothing to do with self-consciousness. IMHO, a GoJoe signals to me that the rider has never adequately learned to body drag back to his/her board. Body dragging is a skill that should be mastered at the early lesson stage. If a rider has short-cut the basics, I want to avoid him/her.
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
knotwindy (Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:54 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:35 am
FLandOBX wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:26 pm
But, GoJoe? Sorry. GoJoe = Kooksville. :D
....But I am not a fan of those too self concious to use something they might get a benifit out of. That is worse than a kook, in my book.
I absolutely agree with that.

For me, it has nothing to do with self-consciousness. IMHO, a GoJoe signals to me that the rider has never adequately learned to body drag back to his/her board. Body dragging is a skill that should be mastered at the early lesson stage. If a rider has short-cut the basics, I want to avoid him/her.
hmm... even a body dragging master will have a hard time retrieving a board that they can't see. So I can't subscribe to your view 100%. Yes, master the skill of body dragging because it's a VERY critical piece of safety, but even then things happen and the wrong color board in the right gnarly conditions will be hard to find after you've spent a few minutes sorting out your kite...
These users thanked the author Cab Driver for the post:
SENDIT! (Fri Nov 22, 2019 6:43 pm)

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Nov 22, 2019 4:59 pm

FLandOBX wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 1:20 pm
.... a GoJoe signals to me that the rider has never adequately learned to body drag back to his/her board. Body dragging is a skill that should be mastered at the early lesson stage. If a rider has short-cut the basics, I want to avoid him/her.
That is a definite problem. Every kiter learning in normal conditions should NOT use a GoJoe to learn body dragging. Use it after you have the skill to not need it. Or just like a leash, use it only when you can gain a clear benefit, as in the situation of high current.

Same with swimming and lifejackets. Make sure you can swim unaided, but definitely use flotation when it is use than not.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:35 pm

Let's stop shaming people who wear helmets - they are just not willing do die from head injury as soon as the rest of us.
Floatation vest is smart thing, especially where you can't touch the bottom - a story of massive leg cramp and almost drowning made me wear impact vest to help my chances.

GoJoe is a clear indication that person is learning and is not fully confident in his/her bodydragging abilities. And let's be honest - how many times all of us wiped out and couldn't see the board in chop or sun reflection on water for a while. How many of us spent 10 minutes or more looking for such board. You wish you had a GoJoe which we would never use of course.

Roll leash is a bad idea though floatation vest + helmet are a must to go with it if nobody showed you missing teeth and cut faces pics from board leash use yet. In OBX, on a shallow spot if you see a guy/girl with floataion vest, roll leash and helmet you can bet they're from Canada, Montreal specifically and I'm puzzled why nobody talks them out of the roll leash at least.
Last edited by grigorib on Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kgb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Float vest, impact vest, life jacket

All entirely different bits of kit for different purposes.

One of them is entirely inappropriate for kitesurfing.

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:01 pm

kgb wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:52 pm

Which one? And do you mean "inappropriate" as in "not cool" OR detrimental to your safety as in that it can cause you more harm than good?

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:48 pm

For me personally an impact vest is least hindrance and additional (while insufficient as USCG would deem it) floatation

As of beginners - not everyone has 8 weeks a year to spend on kite trips and if you see unconfident person with all the beginner paraphernalia - consider him/her as obstruction you gotta yield to, and occasionally save their ass.
Karma goes long way

kgb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:01 pm
kgb wrote:

Which one? And do you mean "inappropriate" as in "not cool" OR detrimental to your safety as in that it can cause you more harm than good?
Come on do some work,

Tell us the differences and see which one your workings rules out.

You do know the difference between a life jacket and the other two don’t you?

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:06 am

It's stupid to chide someone for wearing safety gear.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
purdyd (Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:23 am)

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:12 am

kgb wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:46 pm
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:01 pm
kgb wrote:

Come on do some work,

Tell us the differences and see which one your workings rules out.

You do know the difference between a life jacket and the other two don’t you?
You have a pretty big chip on your shoulder, so I did not want to put words in your mouth. Could you clearly state your ideas for us? I am interested in what you are thinking, but again, I don't want to tell you what you are thinking. So please tell us. And there are lots of ESL forum users, thus it helps to be clear with your statements.

Return to “Kitesurfing”