Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

I'm less addicted, kiting less and now i'm a better person because of it.

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: I'm less addicted, kiting less and now i'm a better person because of it.

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:38 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:08 am
People really into something, in a big way, I rate that. Ocd, fomo etc... It's a positive thing to me. Shows passion and drive.

Agree fully, no compromises :thumb:

Eventhough some say they havent lost the stoke and are more balanced, they HAVE lost the stoke somewhat or a lot, progression or not :wink:

8) Peter

pmaggie
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Gera Lario, Como Lake, Italy
Favorite Beaches: Lo Stagnone (Marsala, Sicily - Italy) - Soma Bay (Egipt) - Cabarete (Dom Rep.) - Kite beach (Maui)
Style: Freeride
Gear: Core XR4 11, Core Riot XR 7, Core Riot XR2 15, Flysurfer Speed 5 21, Flysurfer Sonic 3 13
Shinn Bronq 136x42, Shinn Bronq XL

Postby pmaggie » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:36 am

I had the same sensation with windsurfing many years ago. I was completely addicted, if it was wind and I was working in my office I felt sooooo bad. At the first gust I HAD TO be in the water, I suffered if I was seeing someone planing and I was not riding. It's a problem, it's not a joke. When you're completely addicted your life is water-dependent and you're not living fine, you find yourself suffering very often. Also, you begin to have problem with family and friends, because wind rules. Say you decide to have a trip with your family because the forecasts are not good: you pass the whole day checking the weather station. Say one of them scores 12 knots, you feel absolutely bad and you become nervous and unable to enjoy your trip and your family. This is not correct, this is not fun. I agree with Peter, kitesurfing must be a joy, every time, not an addiction. I prefer to kite less but to feel fine also if I couldn't ride for any reason. The days I can ride are perfect and I enjoy them much more than before.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:44 pm

plummet wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:55 am
There was a time when kiting ruled.
I'm now a better person because I kite less

Unhook you pussy

Stop calling it kiting when all your doing is sailing

🤪🤣

But seriously get some flat water unhook and catch some back edges. Then google shoulder strengthening excercises. Your body will let you kite about 2 hours a month at our age and if you ever do land a handle pass you can throw shit on everyone on the forums forever cause theyre all weaklings

But seriously.... Paaaaaaraaaagliding :D

its the only way.

No matter how good your mutant board gets it aint going to compare to being at 10000 feet and crying because you want to get down only to then land and instantly wish you were back up there.

Bille
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Lake Mohave
Gear: Ozone Edge
Brand Affiliation: Barz Optics
Jaybar Dynabar V7

Postby Bille » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:07 pm

Kozzie wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 12:44 pm

No matter how good your mutant board gets it aint going to compare to being at 10000 feet and crying because you want to get down only to then land and instantly wish you were back up there.
PG's are Fun , BUT-- ; active air like that , then i'd rather be on my
Rigid-wing HG !! :o

Bille

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:25 pm

I still routinely find myself questioning my sanity while rigging alone on a beach in Canada in late November. I've learned to tune it out and persist. The Stoke buzz on the way home is worth it.

Foiling has certainly helped my addiction. It has tempered me to have that many more days on the water in a season. From being less vitriolic on here to my new found ability to skip even a windy day for the sake of family. I still jones when it's been more than a week, and my new found patience evaporates after two or three weeks without a board under foot, but sheer volume of time on the water has mellowed me considerably. Even my dreams have changed. Where I used to dream about "going" kiting all the time, most times something would derail and I would not get any actual dream riding in. Have had a much higher number of dreams in the past year where I actually get to kite.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:54 pm

I've been addicted to wind since I went sailing in the Abaco's in a tropical depression in 1973. Raced sailboats in the 80's, windsurfed in the 90's and kitesurfed since 2001. I love to kite alone, even if it is mowing the lawn. It's my exercise and therapy. There's something about harnessing the power of the wind.
These users thanked the author JakeFarley for the post:
PullStrings (Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:19 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

PugetSoundKiter
Frequent Poster
Style: Wake TT, Strapless Surfboard, Landboard
Gear: Cabrinha, Ocean Rodeo, Slingshot, Naish, North, Pansh, Ozone, HQ, Peter Lynn

Postby PugetSoundKiter » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:26 pm

FlowInterest.jpg
FlowInterest.jpg (40.18 KiB) Viewed 821 times
These users thanked the author PugetSoundKiter for the post:
foilholio (Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:05 am)
Rating: 3.03%

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:05 am

Exactly keep challenging yourself and you will remain interested.

Teabageppo
Frequent Poster
Style: Air style - Freeride
Gear: Rebel 10m 2017, nobile carbon NHP 2017, north nugget 2015.
Has thanked: 0

Postby Teabageppo » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:08 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:00 am
Teabageppo wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:49 am
It's getting quite ridiculous now. With kite (TT, SB, Foil), prone and sup foiling and all this behind a boat (so add in wake boarding and scurfing) if no wind (oh plus normal surfing), plus mountain biking and diving for seafood, there doesn't go many days of the year without something to do in the water. We go through wetsuites like nothing else. Look forward to a day with nothing to do. Definitely like my kiwi brother, pick and choose our kiting days nowadays. Quality versus quantity. Add a wind wang to that lot one day and it will go from ridiculous, to the absurd.

That being said kiting is the number one passion still. Then again can't beat a windless day with pumping surf...!!!!!
Imagine if you also started paragliding and speedflying..... that would from absurd to..... ?????? I dont know whats more than absurd?

I do want to learn to paraglide and speedfly... Well mainly speed fly and also paramotor.... argh!
I think those will wait until the kids have left home.

yeh have mates who do it and have invited me a few times. Also if we had the flat beaches I'd probably buggy to...that looks sick. But yeh...until the kids have gone, got way too many things to do.

I'm actually really enjoying the challenge of learning the strapless surfboard tricks at the moment, damn they are hard!! Respect! and of course foiling is priority...can't get enough of that.

piccio
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: rome
Favorite Beaches: sardinia cape town
Style: wave
Gear: religion 5 6 8
firewire 5 11 maquina 5.9

Postby piccio » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:14 pm

best is wake up and decide what to do ,would it be kiting or anything else .
easy to say ,not very easy to do but this should be final task of everyone.

Return to “Kitesurfing”