Duotone Introduces The Capa - Freeride Foil Kite

For all foil kite riders
Mane
Medium Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Duotone Introduces The Capa - Freeride Foil Kite

Postby Mane » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 am

really sounds strange that they try again to bring a foilkite although their designers think that this type of kite is crap....
guess they have seen so many SOULs out there that they could not resist.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Nov 26, 2019 11:30 am

Grösel in 2018: "Ram airs are inferior in basically every aspect" (https://www.ralfgroeseldesign.com/blog/ ... pic-battle)
Duotone in 2019: "Hey let's build a ram air!"

Hahahahahaha this is just epic!

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:19 pm

Ralf Grosel is I believe an independent contractor who designs for duotone,

I don’t think it odd that duotone is releasing a ram air kite. I hope other companies follow that lead.

I also like the trend of lighter lei kites. With new materials and construction.

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:14 pm

Mane wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:25 am
really sounds strange that they try again to bring a foilkite although their designers think that this type of kite is crap....
guess they have seen so many SOULs out there that they could not resist.
Flysurfer also make inflatable kites although they think that kind of design is secondary?

Guess they have seen so many inflatables they thought it would be stupid too not to :D .

Other manufacturers are following the trend and making foil kites and it has nothing to do with Flysurfer and their Soul but, with Foilboarding. Without it, the number of foil kites (and the number of their manufacturers) would be a fraction of what it is now.

Kozzie
Medium Poster
Local Beach: brighton
Style: freestyle

Postby Kozzie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:40 am

Designed by advance

I just think its amazing the best glider company and kite company can work together since theyre very humble begginings together so long ago and the relationship is still there.

But i need some flipping tech specs on the cloth before i buy one and chop it up and turn it into a closed cell parakite

cor
Very Frequent Poster

Postby cor » Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:22 pm

windmaker wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 8:14 pm
Flysurfer also make inflatable kites although they think that kind of design is secondary?
FS doesn't think this kind of design is secondary and afaik they never said so. The reason for them only having one tube kite is merely that many companies offer a wide spectrum already and it's hard to compete there. That's why and also because of the reason they have a paragliding background, they are focusing more on ram airs.

Severak North/Duotone Designers however said that ram airs are basically shit. That's why it now feels like they are just jumping on the hypetrain as they have seen how popular these kind of kites have become. It's good for the competition and it will push these kind of kites further, however. So better do it now than later.

What's wrong with the Capa however is the price tag. This kite offers less than comparable products like the Soul, Hyperlink and Nova (heavier, no PMAs, no bridle config, more difficult to launch by just pulling one line, dull design) but costs more.

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:34 pm

Reminds me of another recent North (Duotone) overpriced game-changer

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:25 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:34 pm
Reminds me of another recent North (Duotone) overpriced game-changer
Yes this thing was a funny joke, but also register: nobody here who this time makes fun or big words about duotone and the capa has tried it!

I have tried it just two times about 8 and 1 month ago, friends have it in use continously since up to 3 month and one of those very good kiters now switches from his well loved Soul to a Capa. What we felt is all the same: It has some cons where it doesn't arrive at FS level, but some of them can be moded to FS level or close. And in some disciplins it is even better so in total more or less equal and even if a similar construction still quite different, so try to find it ouf for yourself.

Everybody who is interested can find my first small review in the other topic.

I myself don't care for Soul or Capa anyway, both great kites for sure but I have bought me a secound time one of the last Sonic² 9 m², as they stopped selling them and I don't expect to find something better for my personal demands, even not in the next year.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:59 pm

cor wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:22 pm

What's wrong with the Capa however is the price tag. This kite offers less than comparable products like the Soul, Hyperlink and Nova (heavier, no PMAs, no bridle config, more difficult to launch by just pulling one line, dull design) but costs more.
For sure that kind of kite is expensive under Duotone brand, but I would certainly rate it higher than Hyperlink and Nova because it has much more complicated, refined and expensive construction. If it don't have a better performance than these kites it is a failure.

Nova is priced the lowest of these all and it offers a good value of money, quite opposite to Hyperlink which is quite similar but crazy expensive for what it is. And there is now UL Nova which is very light weight kite with a modern decent design.

Soul is of course a tough competitor for any foil kite of that segment.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Thu Nov 28, 2019 8:46 am

More complicated does not necessarily make it a better kite and can actually make it worse. Look at some of the unnecessary things Flysurfer has done in the past like jet flaps and blowout valves. A paraglider does not directly translate into a kite either. A kite has a lot more to design for.
Horst Sergio wrote: It has some cons where it doesn't arrive at FS level, but some of them can be moded to FS level or close
For the money and considering the brand name you should not be needing to "mod" anything. You may as well buy a Pansh.

Return to “Foil Kites”