Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Local Beach: Colorado, Wyoming, Nebraska
Style: Doubtful.
Gear: LC Pelican, Gin Marabou/Shaman/Spirit
Brand Affiliation: Tom Bourdeau designs, Gin

Re: Kite-o-rado Snowkite Conditions

Postby nate76 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:16 pm

Nice! Hoping to get enough snow on the ground on Thursday to maybe inaugurate one of the local spots. Fingers crossed!

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Grandmesa CO
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Style: Snow kiting, buggy, water
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:33 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: Grand Mesa report
Kite lake well frozen over over and great kiting conditions with at least a foot of powder on top. Park and ride is still pretty rocky, but covered with an average of 14" of fresh snow. The road to kite lake is closed, at least to my 4runner with new Blizake tires. Todd and I ended up struggling for 45minutes before getting unstuck. Decided
it would be a great day to go Cross country skiing. Winds 4cast for Wednesday is looking awesome. Thinking bout breaking out the Snowmobile. Call me :thumb: :thumb:

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster
Favorite Beaches: Ivanpah CA, Metro Park MI, 6 Mile on lake Mohave NV. Daulpin island Al
Gear: 21m Flysurfer Soul, 17m LEI Cabrinha Contra, 13m Waroo LEI, 11 m foil Frenzy Ozone, 11m Lei Escape PL, 9m Lei Nemesis Best, 7m Lei Waroo, 6m foil apex HQ, 174 SB for the Pow, 169 split SB for the outback, Cabrinha 154 twin tip for the lake, 600 switchback Polaris to get me there, and why not add in a nice new big foot buggy for that once a year buggy blast at Ivanpah.

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:14 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: Grand Mesa report
Kite lake well frozen over over and great kiting conditions with at least a foot of powder on top. Park and ride is still pretty rocky, but covered with an average of 14" of fresh snow. The road to kite lake is closed, at least to my 4runner with new Blizake tires. Todd and I ended up struggling for 45minutes before getting unstuck. Decided
it would be a great day to go Cross country skiing. Winds 4cast for Wednesday is looking awesome. Thinking bout breaking out the Snowmobile. Call me :thumb: :thumb:
These users thanked the author Anthonyshopguy for the post:
matthepp (Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:56 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ToeKnee
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: BluMesaRes. East end
Favorite Beaches: Air/Earth Interface
Style: Blustery
Gear: HQ, Pansh

Postby ToeKnee » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:44 pm

Just enough snow on Snow Mesa to ride the drifted areas. Still lots of rocks in places. Hiking access for now, need a lot more snow for snowmobiles. Hiked all the way down carrying the skis, 12" to 20" unconsolidated dry snow below the mesa top.
Storm's coming today!
These users thanked the author ToeKnee for the post (total 3):
nate76 (Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:47 pm) • matthepp (Thu Nov 28, 2019 11:56 pm) • soplo (Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:31 am)
Rating: 9.09%

matthepp
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RMP
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Kino Bay
Red Mountain Pass
Style: Rich
Gear: OR Flite 15m
OR Razor 12m
OR Prodigy 7m 9.5m
BD Carbon Megawatts
Slingshot Dwarfcraft/ Gamma 68
Brand Affiliation: Alpine Edge Engineering

Postby matthepp » Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 am

Happy Turkey Massacre Day gang! I am thankful that the white stuff is starting to pile up. Wind was good up at Crystal Reservoir in Ironton this afternoon but I was worried that I was going to fall through the mixed 6" thick ice/slush layers. I plan to get out Saturday up on Big Mac after the big dump tomorrow. Anyone interested?

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Fri Nov 29, 2019 1:34 am

I'm Still under the weather but thinking about hitting the Mesa tommorow. Conditions, parking could be a little complicated. Snow should be optimal with most rocks covered. Wind nucking. Bring small kites. Temps at 30. Message if interested.

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:31 am

matthepp wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 12:00 am
Happy Turkey Massacre Day gang! I am thankful that the white stuff is starting to pile up. Wind was good up at Crystal Reservoir in Ironton this afternoon but I was worried that I was going to fall through the mixed 6" thick ice/slush layers. I plan to get out Saturday up on Big Mac after the big dump tomorrow. Anyone interested?
So exciting to hear people are getting out again! Might go to Big Mac without a kite Sunday just to milk some turns (so please leave some for us). Is Crystal frozen/safe now, as far as you can tell?

Anthony, I'll also be looking toward the mesa soon. What do you mean that parking is complicated, please? The normal issues, or is anything new?

Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!

Justin

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:53 am

Normal Justin when it's snowing hard we are most likely to run into problems. Thinking about just parking in the snow mobile parking and walking in to avoid confrontation. And they are already not opening the road to park. Just don't want to make waves. Didn't go today, still feeling under the weather.

soplo
Rare Poster
Gear: A few Access foils
Kahoona 12
Rally 14, 15
Learning on a 6m WASP

Postby soplo » Sat Nov 30, 2019 5:23 am

Got it, thanks. Hope you're feeling better soon. It's still early, so you have many more days (with even more snow) ahead of you this year.

Anthonyshopguy
Medium Poster

Postby Anthonyshopguy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:22 am

Grand Mesa kite report finally got up there today, winds blowing in the mid-20s snow unconsolidated and deeply drifted not ideal conditions. We have a new victim of the breeze, everybody welcome Hanna to the Mesa. Originally from Norway and now living in Avon she was a never ever to snow but has a solid grasp of kite handling from more than 2 years on the water. Nothing beats the smile of someone who nails a new activity on their first try. She struggled some but as I said conditions were not ideal. Todd and myself struggled in the snow, but hey it beat sitting in front of the TV. Still fighting a cold but had a good time anyway. :cool2:
IMG_20191130_153117924.jpg

Return to “Snow / Land”