Turks Long Bay
Hatteras of course
St Lucia
Style: Free ride and foiling
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ocean City, NJ missing kiter?

Postby Kitetwin-1 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:21 am

A couple of years ago my daughter and I were on nines near salvo. Half a mile out I see a guy in the water, no kite, no board. My daughter dragged him in, big guy. I brought his kite back from a mile down wind and no one found the board . He was one of three newbees doing a down winder.They were al separated, found out one of the thee also lost a board. Met up at Real, they bought the drinks...

POACHER
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Gear: *

Postby POACHER » Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:07 pm

So is this kiter responsible for the expenses of the search/rescue? I guess follow up questions: are you on the hook for any Coast Guard pickup?

I remember when they started charging backcountry skiers/boarders for heli rescue. $20k chopper ride if you mess up....

madworld
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Never never land
Style: Cruising
Gear: Rich peoples throw aways.

Postby madworld » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:19 pm

POACHER wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:07 pm
So is this kiter responsible for the expenses of the search/rescue? I guess follow up questions: are you on the hook for any Coast Guard pickup?

I remember when they started charging backcountry skiers/boarders for heli rescue. $20k chopper ride if you mess up....
The Coast Guard does not charge a fee to provide assistance to a boat at sea. Coast Guard fees are established by federal statute, and for the most part these fees are limited to documentation services, vessel inspection and mariner licensing. The Coast Guard is expressly prohibited by statute (Title 46 US Code, sec. 2110) from charging a fee for any search and rescue service, so this is not something that is subject to a discretionary waiver.

RickI
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SE Florida
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby RickI » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:30 pm

Excess rescues have brought heat to access considerations before. I know folks I’ve been concerned a number of times in the bay area. The Kite community should take steps to try to avoid unnecessary SAR activities. Demonstrated effort to do so is valuable in and of itself even better when it works.

Return to “Kitesurfing”