Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

O'neil Hyperfreak vs NP Mission ?

Postby dracop » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:44 am

Hey guys, trying to decide on a wetsuit for a trip to CPT and am wondering if anyone has tried both of the following models:

O'neil Hyperfreak 3/2+ FZ vs an NP Mission FZ 3/2

I have an athletic build (48" chest with a 36" waist) and big shoulders. Last time I went to CPT the best wetsuit I found was a 2015 NP Mission 4/3 XXL, ran abit warm for me and the waist was a little loose though. Otherwise I was impressed by the wetsuit, both the fancy Yamamoto Neoprene and the lining.

Only thing is that the Oneil seems to have more of a drop in terms of Chest size vs waist size and might fit better (on paper at least).

I do not have the ability to try them out in advance.

Anyone try both of these out?

(Note I hate BZ wetsuits and I do not understand the ins and outs/pros and cons of a zip free wetsuit with regards kiting).

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Re: O'neil Hyperfreak vs NP Mission ?

Postby rleshem » Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:50 am

I just got the hyper freak this season in a 4-3. I had NP before and a cheaper O’Neil as well. I really love this new suit the material is so stretchy and comfortable.

The front zip is really nice.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Ludmil » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:46 am

O'Neills TBX 3 is second to none. Hyperfreak's material is is amazingly stretchy allowing them to design their wetsuits very slim. Just get your usual size.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:20 pm

Indeed, the O'neil Hyperflex is one of the stretchiest wetsuits on the market, esp. shoulders/arms due to the combination of outer and inner jersey on top of the super stretchy foam.
This is an absolute must have for surf/paddling but not so much for kitesurfing.
The down side of the outer rib textured jersey is that it holds more water which leads to higher wind chill. Neilpryde outer jersey in same area has a texture too, but holds less water.
I haven't tried the Hyperfreak in cold water+wind and I'm curious to hear if someone has noticed this. It's about the better suit for CPT after all.

Inner lining
Hyperflex features same super high stretch jersey in torso, arms and legs. It is a bit 'warmer' than the Neilpryde high stretch black jersey in upper chest/arms, but the Mission torso all the way down to the ankles incl knees is lined with a much warmer jersey. And more stretchy than their old red/orange 'bio-ceramic' marketing bs.

OP mentioned 2015 NP Mission - outperformed by the 2019/2020 Neilpryde Mission in almost every aspect. Just the looser shoulders/chest fit is probably the same.
A new marketing bs they brought in 2019 - expansion forearm panels - surely does a better job for surf paddling (feature coming from triathlon/swim suits) than preventing forearm cramps. Pity they dumped the wrist gaskets, but all comes at a cost.

Last, Mission seams are taped inside, which sacrifices stretch but improves longevity.
PS apparently the Hyperfreak is fully taped inside too.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191130_113254.jpg
Screenshot_20191130_113309.jpg
Screenshot_20191130_113327.jpg
IMG_20191130_113227.jpg
IMG_20191130_113201.jpg
Last edited by nixmatters on Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
dracop (Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:44 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:45 pm

As far I know, Hyperfreak has been designed with performance in mind. Should you look for ultimate warmth there are other models in O'Neills range... However, I believe all dl wetsuits are more or less the same vs single lined due to the evaporation effect.
Having in mind that OP is looking for 2/3 wetsuit range and taking in to consideration NP's looser cut, maybe O'Neill is the better option.
It's very personal tho...
Last edited by Ludmil on Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rleshem
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby rleshem » Sat Nov 30, 2019 4:46 pm

I kite in San Francisco and the 4-3 suit is warm enough for me. Feels similar to older suits I had.

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:57 am

Ludmil wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 2:45 pm
As far I know, Hyperfreak has been designed with performance in mind. Should you look for ultimate warmth there are other models in O'Neills range... However, I believe all dl wetsuits are more or less the same vs single lined due to the evaporation effect.
Having in mind that OP is looking for 2/3 wetsuit range and taking in to consideration NP's looser cut, maybe O'Neill is the better option.
It's very personal tho...
All wetsuits are (or should be) designed with performance in mind at first place ;)
But some are designed primarily for surfing, others for wind watersports, where the ultimate stretch is less important than material durability and wind chill.

And NO, not all double lined wetsuits are more or less the same - this is where the TechnoButter 3X is a rare exception. To achieve the ultimate light stretch O'Neill have used on the outside the same type super stretchy lining which they, and most decent quality wetsuits, have on the inside. A.k.a. 'eXtension' jersey (where the X comes from), TB3X has on both sides a double jersey that originally has NO stretch in fabric length direction, but after lamination is being 'extended' 4-5 times until its double knit construction is completely destroyed. Imagine ladders in tights/stockings - that's what happens to 100% of this lining. As a result you get a super elastic 'textile material' well glued to the neoprene foam. Positive side effect - longer knit loops, which some brands lately are tuning and marketing as a super stretch thermal lining (RipCurl E Bomb 'E6 Thermoflex', ION Hotstuff, Mystic Fox Fleece). Btw, this works!
Cons, when used outside: 1) trapping more water and evaporating it faster = higher wind chill factor and 2) the TB3X is much less resistant to the normal wear & tear we have in kitesurfing.

As for the fit of Hyperfreak vs Mission, both brands' size charts show XL for 36" waist and XXL for 48"chest. My personal preference here goes more towards the Hyperfreak, but I'm far from the body build of the OP so my opinion on this is irrelevant.
dracop wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:44 am
O'neil Hyperfreak 3/2+ FZ vs an NP Mission FZ 3/2
If you were impressed by a 2015 NP Mission, you will surely be happy with their latest model. It's been completely redesigned and shouldn't be that loose in the waist. Whichever you go for, with you build and CPT conditions, make sure your shop can service a warranty claim without much hassle.

dracop
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Naska Beach - Kanaha - Maui, HI USA
Waipuliani Park - Kihei - Maui, HI USA
South Point - Hawaii, HI USA
A-Bay - Hawaii, HI USA
Favorite Beaches: _
Kanaha - Maui, HI
Kihei - Maui, HI
South Point - Hawaii Island
Kite Beach - Cabarete, Dominican Republic
Tableview - Cape Town, South Africa
Style: Big Air :D
Gear: 2022 Dice 10m/12m SLS, 2022 Rebel SLS 12m, 2022 15m Aluula Juice
2017 Core Choice 2 142, 2020 Duotone Jaime Textreme, 2014 Best Breeze 145,
Brand Affiliation: The Maui Kitesurf Company
www.mauikitesurf.com

Postby dracop » Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 am

Thanks for the input guys

Now to see what deals I can score

I am leaning towards the Hyperflex as this year's trip to CPT is only for 2-3 weeks and I live on Maui most of the year (warm water, no wetsuit required for me). If I dislike it I can just sell it.

I wonder if I can get away with a Hyperflex XL instead of a XXL.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:26 am

Hey Nixmatters,
Thanks a lot for the technical lesson and for clearing what primarily is the goal designing a wetsuit. Not necessary, but thanks.
I wouldn't dare to ask how do you measure the evaporation effect, or the water retention of one vs other. :)
I am taking into consideration that Dracop is looking for 2/3 (warm climate),and he may look more towards flexibility instead of ultimate warmth. Stated before, O'Neill is more stretchy.
It's very warm as well, and by the way, I think that there are some more variables playing a heat retention role (apart from technological process of jersey lamination)
One of them is the fit, and in regard to the sizing I know what OP is talking about as I tried/owned some wetties trough the years (NP and O'Neill as well).
Best,
L.

Ludmil
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Ludmil » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:25 pm

dracop wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 am
I wonder if I can get away with a Hyperflex XL instead of a XXL.
The cut of Hyperfreak is quite slim. l got my usual size and I initially had the feel that is size smaller, except the length. That thing I so stretchy - feels like second skin.
Check their sizing table, it looks quite accurate to me.
Good luck.

Return to “Kitesurfing”