Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby rolfjoosten » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:21 pm

My impressions on the Peak 4 - 4m, 5m and 8m :jump:

First of all a big thank you to Horst and Tom for introducing the Peak 4 as a hydrofoil kite.
I have read the whole thread with excitement and finally bought myself a 4m and a 5m with the thought that I could also use them in our school in Barbados for Beach lessons which by the way is another great use for this kite.
The 5m I used quite a lot so far in winds between 14kts and 18kts on Moses T22 with 90cm mast and 683S / 450 setup which is my preferred foil for Barbados. I think it can be used a bit sooner and a bit higher up but this is the preferred range for me. In my opinion the power compares to my Neo 8m where the Neo has maybe a bit more power spike when looping to start. The peak flies really nicely through the lulls and never drops. For me the fact that it might not relaunch in the waves is no issue as so far I never dropped it. It really is much easier to keep in the air than any other foil kite or LEI.
The Peak 4 4m was used a few times now in waves between 18 and 22kts where I should have used the wave board and Neo but instead I split my session to use the Peak on the foil. The fun I had on the waves with this setup is beyond amazing...Once on the wave you don't feel the kite anymore. It can be flown very high in the window and just drifts along like nothing I ever kited before.
Finally I also bought the 8m for lighter days which was used a few times now between 11kts and 15kts. I am honestly thinking to retire my Soul 10m as the Peak is so much more fun in the waves which is my preferred riding. The Peak is definitely the wrong kite if you want to cruise along fast from A to B but in my opinion the best kite for playing in swells and breaking waves.
The turn speed of the 4m is like a trainer kite's and if coming from an LEI it is easy to oversteer it which leads to a super fast pivoting turn without any power. You will get used to this very quickly though.
The 5m Peak turns maybe as fast as a 6m Neo and the 8m turns maybe like a 9m Neo.
I hope my write up on the Peak 4 gives you guys some useful info and helps you to decide for it. You will definitely not regret this choice.
The Peak 4 is for sure a way forward in kite design for hydrofoiling! :thumb:
These users thanked the author rolfjoosten for the post (total 2):
a99 (Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:54 pm) • andrzej351 (Sat May 09, 2020 12:27 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:13 pm

Rolf,

Thanks very much for the info. Would you say that 5m Peak is equal in power and wind range to 8m Neo when foiling, please?

I am debating between the 4m and 5m, hence the question.

Thanks!

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 pm

I have the 5 and 8 meter peak 4. My experience was that it takes much more time than I expected to really break the kite in and have it flying optimally.

At his point I think I have enough use on both of them to have them working very well, and with my big slow crappy allibabba surf foil I am now riding ok in maybe 8.5 knots with the 8 meter, and maybe 12-13 knots with the 5 meter.

There seems to be a very distinct cut-off point with both. In marginal winds I can get going with only one or two kite loops and pumping the board... Drop the wind half a knot or so and I can get going with three loops and furious pumping, but I don't seem to have enough power, and with my big, slow foil I can't seem to generate enough speed to get things working well enough to get upwind easily.

Now, I understand that the foil I am using is probably one of the main limiting factors, aside from my skill, which is only about a year and a half hydrofoiling.

I'm sure my foil is a limiting factor here, But I want to know if it I might be able to jump from the 5 down to a 3 when the wind picks up?

My experience is that these kites still work when they are moderately overpowered, they just really seem to "complain" quite a bit.

Additionally I have the ability to switch between 20,24, and 27 meter linesets.

My experience with the 8 meter has been that the 27 meter lines will help me get going slightly earlier, but I have a hard time going fast enough to really make it work any better than I can with the 24 meter lines.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 3 meter soon.

Will this satisfy me or am I gonna have to get the 4 meter too?
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
a99 (Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:57 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:59 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:49 pm
I have the 5 and 8 meter peak 4. My experience was that it takes much more time than I expected to really break the kite in and have it flying optimally.

At his point I think I have enough use on both of them to have them working very well, and with my big slow crappy allibabba surf foil I am now riding ok in maybe 8.5 knots with the 8 meter, and maybe 12-13 knots with the 5 meter.

There seems to be a very distinct cut-off point with both. In marginal winds I can get going with only one or two kite loops and pumping the board... Drop the wind half a knot or so and I can get going with three loops and furious pumping, but I don't seem to have enough power, and with my big, slow foil I can't seem to generate enough speed to get things working well enough to get upwind easily.

Now, I understand that the foil I am using is probably one of the main limiting factors, aside from my skill, which is only about a year and a half hydrofoiling.

I'm sure my foil is a limiting factor here, But I want to know if it I might be able to jump from the 5 down to a 3 when the wind picks up?

My experience is that these kites still work when they are moderately overpowered, they just really seem to "complain" quite a bit.

Additionally I have the ability to switch between 20,24, and 27 meter linesets.

My experience with the 8 meter has been that the 27 meter lines will help me get going slightly earlier, but I have a hard time going fast enough to really make it work any better than I can with the 24 meter lines.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get the 3 meter soon.

Will this satisfy me or am I gonna have to get the 4 meter too?
Don’t skip the 4 meter. Big wind range differences between the 3, 4 and 5. On a good wind day, when the 4 meter is the right kite for you, you don’t want to be trying to make it work with a 5 or a 3. Use them in their sweet spot wind ranges.

rolfjoosten
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Christ Church
Favorite Beaches: Silver Rock Barbados - home
Style: Fun
Gear: Strapless Wave, Hydrofoil

Postby rolfjoosten » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:22 am

omg wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:13 pm
Rolf,

Thanks very much for the info. Would you say that 5m Peak is equal in power and wind range to 8m Neo when foiling, please?

I am debating between the 4m and 5m, hence the question.

Thanks!
I would definitely say that the Peak 5m is closer to the Neo 8 than the Peak 4m in power. I was out a couple of times with a friend who was using his 8m Neo while I was out on the Peak 5m. I do think the power spike to waterstart is a bit higher on the Neo than on the Peak 5m. On the Peak you will have to fly several large loops to get up on the foil while I could get up on the Neo with just one loop in marginal conditions. Once on the foil the power feels very close as the Peak wants to sit further back in the wind window. On the other hand my buddie dropped his Neo 8 during one session with no chance to re launch while I was still able to get home on the Peak 5m. When the wind becomes too light to stay on the board you can easily bodydrag home as it happily floats in almost no wind when other kites fall out of the sky. Hope this helps....
These users thanked the author rolfjoosten for the post (total 2):
omg (Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:46 am) • a99 (Sun Dec 01, 2019 9:54 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:45 am

Well the 13 is out. Curious to see how this does on the low end. Anyone ride it yet?

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:19 am

Adventure Logs wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:45 am
Well the 13 is out. Curious to see how this does on the low end. Anyone ride it yet?
Also interested but I wouldn’t get one. The Peak4 11m is slow, but faster than the Peak3 12m. The 12m has more power. I’ve tried to go in 3 to 5mph with the 11m using a Slingshot Outwit 5’10” 100L board and GoFoil M200 wing. Kite flies excellent on land in that light of wind. But once on the water, even after I literally just climb on the board, stand up and try to get going. The kite is too slow to get back up fast enough to generate any power before you get moving down wind too much losing all the power you created in the first dive. I’ve only tried going that low once and the wind died. Though I just picked up the Peak4 8m for the above reason. :D Hoping it reacts a little faster and gets me going that low. The 11m has no problems at 7mph+ If I climb on the board manually. Getting upwind is a chore though. Love these freaking kites! Just need the 3m to complete the quiver.

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:07 am

Wouldn't recommend a Peak 4 bigger than 8 meters for water use.

Kitedougiefresh
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 1996
Weight: 210
Local Beach: Lido, Siesta Key, Turtle, Venice
Sarasota Florida.
Style: Surf & Swell
Gear: Peak 4 6 m
Peak 4 8 m
Pulsion 18M
Sonic 2 11M
Sonic 2 21M
Soul V2 15M

Postby Kitedougiefresh » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:59 am

slowboat wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:07 am
Wouldn't recommend a Peak 4 bigger than 8 meters for water use.
I am curious about your reasoning. I have a 5, 8 and 11 and truly enjoy foiling with the 11. They are slow but faster than the FS Soul according to several Soul owners. I am 220lbs using the 633 wing.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:07 am

I was about to buy the 5m but second guessing now; I'm 80kg (170lbs) and 633 Onda, for the range of (top end) gusting to 22 knots with average at 16 knots, and (low end) lows at avg. 12knots gusting to 14 knots, should I go for the 4m or 5m, please? This would be for "wave" foiling. After these winds I jump on my strapless surfboard with LEIs, so I would only buy one Peak.

Really need help here, and truly appreciate your feedback!

Return to “Foil Kites”