Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Drop Your $&@#ing Kite!

Postby elguapo » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:07 pm

tautologies wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 pm
elguapo wrote:
Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:10 pm

baja mexico is different maybe because there is so much room and more an effort to get there....
..now for a more pressing issue...where is the god damn wind
Ha

i was out foiling last i believe sunday... that was it.

nice swell...but i did get my foil wrapped around a thick fishing net at the reef.
i *only* happened to have my diving knife on me 'cause i didnt want to leave it sitting in the jeep

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:54 pm

kgb wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:41 am
You can ask.
Obviously.

kgb
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Montrose Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cape Hatteras, NC & Tarifa, Spain
Style: Freeriding and wave riding.
Gear: Kite - Slingshot Fuel
Board - North Jaime Pro (twintip)
Brand Affiliation: None at all.

Postby kgb » Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 am

So what are you asking?

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:01 pm

kgb wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:25 am
So what are you asking?
Ah! So you are playing dumb now. :closed:

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Postby PurdyKiter » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:21 pm

Here in Los Barriles MX I've sensed a couple dirty looks from my actions. I'm a seasoned foiler and I promise I'm more than 2 line-lengths clear, kite low or high depending on shared paths.... but get scowled at?

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 pm

PurdyKiter wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:21 pm
Here in Los Barriles MX I've sensed a couple dirty looks from my actions. I'm a seasoned foiler and I promise I'm more than 2 line-lengths clear, kite low or high depending on shared paths.... but get scowled at?
yeah some people tho....just need a shit ton of room. Not that it should be any of your concern.

I have to say tho that some kiters seem to not be able to imagine that a person can do something weird. Multiple times I have had people follow super close. I generally do not fall, but on a foil it can happen, and when it does, it happens fast. I wonder if they are not able to imagine that or if they are like Matteo trying to "prove a point" because they someone how feel unfairly pressured by a kiter that can have a better upwind angle than them and are trying to prove a point. I am not trying to push buttons, but some people's buttons seems to be pre-pushed.

Come to think of it, proving a point in the water is the worst idea.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:24 pm

Ha, I usually scare the shit out of people. In truth, I'm so used to riding alone that I do have to remind myself to have a look around a bit more once others show up. Then they are usually on surface boards and were traveling at high angles to one another.

I fall all the time, sometimes for no apparent reason, and I rarely hold a straight line for very long and randomly peel off down or upwind without warning. Probably a nightmare to ride with!
These users thanked the author jumptheshark for the post:
PurdyKiter (Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:46 am

tautologies wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:20 pm
I wonder if they are not able to imagine that or if they are like Matteo trying to "prove a point" because they someone how feel unfairly pressured by a kiter that can have a better upwind angle than them and are trying to prove a point. I am not trying to push buttons, but some people's buttons seems to be pre-pushed.

Come to think of it, proving a point in the water is the worst idea.
Never have I said that I'm trying to prove a point out on the water. And I agree with you that is the worst idea you can have. What I do is I teach people when their behavior is really screwing everybody else up.

Anybody that I will block or ride up on the inside has done that at least 10 times to others regardless of how many times they have done that to me. That's when you're not proving a point anymore, you're actually solving a problem and even helping everyone out on the water.

Not everyone has the skill and is in a position to do this, when there is a very experienced kiter demonstrating extremely bad behavior and a complete lack of courtesy to the other kiters.

But turning a blind eye, because you don't want to get involved or are just cool with letting others mess it up for everyone else? That just screws up your spot even more with more of that behavior.

knotwindy
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: baja, gorge
Style: erratic to none
Gear: yes, I use gear

Postby knotwindy » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:24 am

PurdyKiter wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:21 pm
Los Barriles has 8 miles of beach and very few kiters so there is no good reason to be close to someone else. Having said that foiling is sort of new there and surface riders don’t understand the angles and speeds of foiling so it kind of freaks them out a bit. Time will fix that. Having said that what foils(hydro, not kites) do best is upwind/downwind travel so do that. Go away a couple of reaches and don’t stay in the crowded launch/land area (there are only 2), there is so much space on the water there it ridiculous to ever be close to someone other than friends you are riding with. :bye: :bye:

Return to “Kitesurfing”