oldkiter
Frequent Poster

Re: Anyone tried foiling with a wing?

Postby oldkiter » Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:52 pm

juandesooka wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:47 pm
oldkiter wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:07 pm
That low wind sup foiling with wing looks great to me.
For close to 40 years I've driven 80 miles round trip for 12-18 mph wind for windsurfing and kiting (last 15-16 years).
I live 5 minutes from ocean in SoCal. Wind usually 6-12 mph with outer reefs. Beach badly eroded!
I just got a 7m wing and foil specific sup (140 L) and will try to learn with SS Fkite foil setup.
For what time I have left I'm going to have an awesome time!!!
I suspect you're going to want to upgrade to a larger wing with more lift. Especially while in learning phase. Try to find an Infinity 84 ... Black Friday is this week, may be some deals out there.

Maximize the limited time you have left with optimal gear right from the get-go! :-)
Thanks. I've been watching for the 84 at a reasonable price - complete Fsup selling for as low as 859 so 529 for just the front wing seems off. Also, have friend with Gofoil and larger wing which I'll be able to demo. Anyway, will need some sessions (maybe many) just to learn the wing sup foiling! Exciting!!

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:44 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:23 pm

My thoughts too, so dont understand why Oz says it seems easier - we need some details :roll:

8) Peter
I don't really know. I was out riding a few hundred metres away in 30+ knot winds.

My best guess is they just walked out through the shore break until they got past the breaking waves. Without the difficulty and pull of flying a kite and wearing a harness that would be relatively easy.

Once out they got into kneeling position, powered the wing, then got to their feet and rode away.

There is a video of Gunnar paddling an upside down foil board through waves, towing the wing on his ankle. I am guessing the lack of kite and harness and all that stuff would allow all the usual brute force methods of getting through shore breaks to be used.

However they did it, it took me 25 minutes and 4-5 goes to get off the beach. They were off and out first go.
These users thanked the author OzBungy for the post:
stevez (Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:23 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:08 pm

This is why I love Wingfoiling. No words can describe how this feels

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 pm

Looks good, assume you are still learning a lot Gunnar?

Although I thought the whole idea with a wing was you could surf much more aggressively and 180 degree turns on the wave a lot better and faster as not restriced by the kite, but looking at this kitewavefoil video which is by far my preferred style, you nail it bigtime (in my eyes) in this one :thumb:

Where the wingfoil looks a lot more lazy like longboarding without turning much - I know it is an awesome feel to surf almost freely, but have difficulties seeing much or any advantage over a longboard or malibu surfboard.

Maybe just me...

8) Peter

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:07 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 9:28 pm
Looks good, assume you are still learning a lot Gunnar?

Although I thought the whole idea with a wing was you could surf much more aggressively and 180 degree turns on the wave a lot better and faster as not restriced by the kite, but looking at this kitewavefoil video which is by far my preferred style, you nail it bigtime (in my eyes) in this one :thumb:

Where the wingfoil looks a lot more lazy like longboarding without turning much - I know it is an awesome feel to surf almost freely, but have difficulties seeing much or any advantage over a longboard or malibu surfboard.

Maybe just me...

8) Peter

Yes just you Peter. Learn the sport, catch a big fast moving swell and ride it as high speed for over a minute before making your mind up.

P.s. The 360 can.makes it looks like I am straight lining it, but I am not.

--
Gunnar

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitenight11 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:19 pm

Hi Gunner,

nice clip. But I prefered the one in Mjanicho. Did you also try a couple of more times your shortline explore v1 thing. Can you compare both? Which would you find more interestjng and easier to learn in flat water or small chop waves?
Thanks for your time.

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:51 pm

gmb13 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:08 pm

--
Gunnar
This looks awesome. I'm really open to the possibilities of wingfoiling, and clips like these are showing what can be done.
For me the unique selling point of wings above all other things, and especially over kites, is the ability to ride straight upwind under wave power.
That makes them the instrument of choice for any offshore, and possibly crosshore wave riding conditions.
However my local conditions are typically onshore bay windswell, and for these, based on what I've seen, a kite just works better. I've seen a few people on wings, and I've been I underwhelmed to say the least.
Maybe nobody has quite broken through, but I'm still watching and waiting.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 am

stevez wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:51 pm
gmb13 wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:08 pm

--
Gunnar
This looks awesome. I'm really open to the possibilities of wingfoiling, and clips like these are showing what can be done.
For me the unique selling point of wings above all other things, and especially over kites, is the ability to ride straight upwind under wave power.
That makes them the instrument of choice for any offshore, and possibly crosshore wave riding conditions.
However my local conditions are typically onshore bay windswell, and for these, based on what I've seen, a kite just works better. I've seen a few people on wings, and I've been I underwhelmed to say the least.
Maybe nobody has quite broken through, but I'm still watching and waiting.
I disagree. I think the wing works especially well in onshore wind conditions. I find that kites cannot handle onshore wind and foil wave riding. They all fall out of the sky and you send a lot of time worrying about the kite and not on wave riding.
--
Gunnar

stevez
Frequent Poster
Style: Foil freeride and wave
Gear: BRM cloud
Stringy foil XL
Homemade board

Postby stevez » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:04 am

gmb13 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 am
I disagree. I think the wing works especially well in onshore wind conditions. I find that kites cannot handle onshore wind and foil wave riding. They all fall out of the sky and you send a lot of time worrying about the kite and not on wave riding.
--
Gunnar
With onshore wind, the wing is kind of in front of you, getting in the way, blocking your view. You're hampered by the wing in a different way.
Please prove me wrong, post a vid of yourself or anyone else ripping on a wing in onshore conditions.
So far I just haven't seen any evidence of it, either in person or online, that's all.
Anything offshore, different matter altogether, wing wins, case closed.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:18 am

stevez wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:04 am
gmb13 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:49 am
--
Gunnar
With onshore wind, the wing is kind of in front of you, getting in the way, blocking your view. You're hampered by the wing in a different way.
Please prove me wrong, post a vid of yourself or anyone else ripping on a wing in onshore conditions.
So far I just haven't seen any evidence of it, either in person or online, that's all.
Anything offshore, different matter altogether, wing wins, case closed.
The Video Above is with the wind blowing from the back of the wave.

The wing is only in front of you if you are not going fast enough. You can see it stall a bit when I slow down to let the Windsurfer pass.

-Gunnar

Return to “Wingsurfing”