Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Foiling gear, upgrading.

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Foiling gear, upgrading.

Postby windybrit » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:04 pm

I am progressing quite well in my quest to become a foiler, the gear I started with, Nobile G10 Freeride, has served me well but it's heavy to travel with and I'd like to improve it. I am aware that Nobile make newer Freeride wings and stabalisers which would seem to give more lateral stability and perhaps save some weight too. Has anyone upgraded like this? I'd also like to know if there are aftermarket carbon masts or fuselages available....... Alternatively I suppose I should consider selling what I have and buying newer, lighter, better, (and more$$) gear ...... All suggestions gratefully received, happy holidays to all .)

PurdyKiter
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Jones Beach, The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Flysurfer Soul, BRM Clouds, Moses

Re: Foiling gear, upgrading.

Postby PurdyKiter » Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:11 pm

Moses carbon everything, and a 37inch pocket board will fit into your goal for light weight travel. I packed 4 Clouds, bar & lines, harness, wetsuit, mast/fuse/stab/wing, board all into my NSI Golf bag and stayed under 48 pounds.

jumptheshark
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Shhhhh
Favorite Beaches: Nude
Gear: The good stuff

Postby jumptheshark » Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:41 pm

I simply sized up wings on the same foil after about a year and a half, then again the next year. I also cut a few inches off my mast and changed boards twice. Learned a lot in the process. None of those changes shaved much weight. My last upgrade was to a carbon se up and my choice was definitely informed by those experiences. I'm glad I played around with a few parameters before spending on a lightweight set up. You could definitely skip all those steps and still end up happy. There are some great foils out there and it's not very hard to get at least an idea from the various reviews. A full mosses set up is likely a winner! Are you in a position to demo? Would be great to get an idea of how different they can feel. I didn't have that option and am happy with where I ended up, but like I said, I changes as much as I could on the cheap to get and had definitely settled my desired riding style.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil

Postby windybrit » Sat Dec 14, 2019 1:17 am

Thanks for both replies ....... it seems to me that choice of gear is very personal and folks who have theirs really dialled In often have a few customisations. I should perhaps spend my time my time to practice, and demo whatever I can. Save my money for when I am more able and understand more......... what a lousy consumer am I, lol.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Sat Dec 14, 2019 7:48 am

when most guys talk about upgrading kit you rarely get the news they changed to anything else without the name Moses, somewhere in the kit list, mainly below the board.
rarely hear of anyone upgrading from the Moses carbon bits, unless they are sponsored in some way for racing or affiliated to a foil gear shop.
most popular upgrade is probably connected to the 633, or the 633 itself

Tony
Frequent Poster
Weight: 80 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, NC
Style: Foil
Gear: Delta HA Foils 1280,1050,850,700
Airush Nitros and Duotone Slicks
Appletree Jazz
Bunch of other gear I need to sell

Postby Tony » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:38 pm

windybrit,
There are lots of good options out there. I starting bumming rides on a friends LF Fish foil, then bought SS which was a great first foil, then Levitaz Cruizer, also very good but a bit heavy. Settled on Ketos this year and am super happy. Very light, extremely durable full carbon, multiple wing choices and high quality construction.
Moses seems to win the popularity contest for carbon setups and I'm sure the 633 is a great piece of kit but I've never been interested in the Moses gear for some reason and never had the opportunity to try.
First time I saw the Ketos foil I knew it was the choice for me.
Anyway, it looks like you are in Montreal. You're pretty close to ConceptAir and Ben is the distributor for Ketos in North America. I'm sure you could arrange a demo through Ben, he has all the Ketos toys.
Good luck in your search.
Tony

mar menor
Frequent Poster
Weight: 70kgs
Local Beach: Mar Menor - los narejos ,la llana, Cabo de palos
Favorite Beaches: Calblanque, El Pinet
Gear: Ozone Alpha V2 10m,PLKB Ozone Alpha v1 8m,PLKB Synergy and Swell 8m & 6m
Boards-Groove skate and moses 633 and 679,north fish.ocean rodeo mako,Nobile 666
Brand Affiliation: Ozone ,PLKB,Prolimit

Postby mar menor » Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:55 pm

+1 Moses T38 and Onda 633

salvino
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Eastern end of Lake Erie
Favorite Beaches: Barbados
Hatteras
Lakes Erie and Ontario
Gear: Stallion SB
Moses 633,590,500 HF
Temavento board
Grooveskate board
Airush Ultra, North Neo 5,7,9

Postby salvino » Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:05 pm

My thoughts and experience re upgrading:

I’m 3 years in and have found that taking the plunge toward the next level has always been correct concept.

Going smaller in board is the best thing to do once you have found a foil that suites your style. For me, Moses 633 with 325 stab.

Touch downs and such are not a problem if you have small board that allows you to stay in direct feel for foil. I think the concept of float in board to allow recovery is only suited to beginning level. If board disconnects your feeling to the foil recovery chance is slim. The smaller the better!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:14 pm

Tony wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:38 pm
windybrit,
There are lots of good options out there. I starting bumming rides on a friends LF Fish foil, then bought SS which was a great first foil, then Levitaz Cruizer, also very good but a bit heavy. Settled on Ketos this year and am super happy. Very light, extremely durable full carbon, multiple wing choices and high quality construction.
Moses seems to win the popularity contest for carbon setups and I'm sure the 633 is a great piece of kit but I've never been interested in the Moses gear for some reason and never had the opportunity to try.
First time I saw the Ketos foil I knew it was the choice for me.
Anyway, it looks like you are in Montreal. You're pretty close to ConceptAir and Ben is the distributor for Ketos in North America. I'm sure you could arrange a demo through Ben, he has all the Ketos toys.
Good luck in your search.
Tony

+1 for Ketos.

Not lowcost indeed, but you get a foil where everything is modular, every wing and mast and fuselage and board fits with the exact same trim :thumb:
You dont need different fuselages or trim settings or rails or similar :thumb:
Also by far the fastest foil to assemble and disassemble, one screw only, both at board and fuselage :thumb:

I hardly never ride anything else, and fell in love with the delicate finish, and the fairing at the bottom of the board, an engineering masterpiece where the load is distributed perfectly to the board, no matter how thin, strong light and aesthetic beautiful in my eyes ((being an engineer).

Not dissing any of the others (I have tried many) but not in doubt what I prefer.

Those riding Ketos can vouch for the "smooth" feel they got, great :rollgrin:
Ketos aim for making the best freestyle/freeride boards possible, and make new wings and boards now and then.
But NOT for the purpose of having more different parts to sell, only if there is something that might work better (for some), a very different business model than most.
Also possible to get special graphics on the boards, and sometimes the wings.

Two of my friends has upgraded from Moses, and never looked back.

If you want more board compability, you can use a carbon KFBox to Plate adapter - I use one myself for my 3 feet skimboard.

The fairing between mast and boards, that caught me (I know it might just be me, but love this smooth junction):

8) Peter

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:23 am

I have to agree with peter above on how much this board pleases the eye, I often see the Ketos board on flag beach, and I am in stunned by its looks,
its like looking at a perfect engineering masterpiece,
I did a bit of flirting with the idea of changing to the brand, but then after looking into the posibilitys decided against changing, but only due to cost of the individual parts, and lack of interchangeability with my present brand parts.
shame really, as the ketos is my favourite foil I have never used or owned.

Return to “Hydrofoil”