Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: King of the Air - riders confirmed

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:11 am

Variety also means not another guy ... But also a girl and a strapless rider.

Not sure...did Tom used boots only? If so, maybe of he did megaloops boardoff and a boardoff as well, he would have kicked out one of the other riders.
Let's hope to see him next year.

Werito
Medium Poster
Gear: kites, boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Werito » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:05 pm

I don’t understand that if we want wide variety of riders of different genders, styles, equipment etc. why it doesn’t apply to boots also. With that logic the flysurfer-dude should be in as well. But maybe logical or transparent are not first adjectives in mind when talking about KOTA :)

Angely is phenomenal rider, but she is not at the same level as a rider than others... I hope to see more female riders in KOTA, but the choices should not be based on gender.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:20 pm

Boots: megaloops, Handle Pass
Straps: megaloops, handle Pass, onefoots, boardoffs

I think that was easy.

Werito
Medium Poster

Postby Werito » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:29 pm

And how many of these riders with straps are really able to throw those passes? Jesse and Marc are the only ones, other than that we see that same board-off kiteloop all over again.
And then there is at least one rider who can’t do netiher of those.
That’s not variety my friend. Theoretically yes, but in reality no.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:08 pm

like that same megaloop with rotation you mean?
or that same handle pass we see since min. 10 years?

Please

longwhitecloud
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Master Baiter. Oracle of windsport.
Gear: 2 sets of Flysurfer VMGs 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 15, 18. Foilboards ( Masts 75 90 110 125 Wings 880 950 1100 1350 1750) all with Ronix Ones attached. Soon to retire to Wingfoiling.

Postby longwhitecloud » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:37 pm

As clear as mud then, exactly same as last years rules?

https://www.redbull.com/za-en/events/re ... -air/rules

XIII. JUDGING CRITERIA: EXTREME BIG AIR and OVERALL
IMPRESSION:
1) Judges will look at following categories: Extreme Big Air and Overall Impression.
2) The Overall Impression of the Extreme Big Air performance scores will be determined by combining:
• 70% Height. Go as hard and high as possible. The height in combination with extreme moves is priority, but we will also take the horizontal distance travelled in account, combined with certain powered moves
• 30% Extremity. Controlled extreme high moves. Think about extremely powered and/or extremely technical, or ultimately a combination of this as long as it is performed on a proper height.
No limitation in maximum number of moves/combinations attempts per heat (including crashes) or repetitions for the same jump. - Only the 3 best tricks of the whole performance will be counted and will form part of the final result.
Variety within your best 3 moves is a key-factor, as focus is to prize the most complete
“Extreme Big Air” rider.
A 4th score (unique score) for overall impression of the entire performance will be given at the end of the heat, this score will be determined by considering a combination of different factors as: technical difficulty / style / variety / execution / risk / show / innovation, this will be added to the total score (could make the difference).
The average of these 4 scores that weigh evenly will be the final score.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:44 pm

I wrote already- without live jump data their 70% height rule is subjective. We need LiVE jumps data in KOTA !!!!

We saw in tv how those judjes are working in Kota - drinking redbull happy and joking. Some friends of some particupants and etc. What is why we need proofs of jumps meters if they stand for 70 height rule.

Werito
Medium Poster

Postby Werito » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 pm

Toby wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Please

Yes, I would like to see those megaloop rotations and handlepasses. Also would like to see board-offs and one footers.
Especially, I would like to see some extreme moves like megaloop KGB (did we see any last year), Jesse’s double half cab and totally new stuff like landing those kiteloops to blind/wrapped. These can actually be thrown only by few riders. In general I would like to see different riders expressing their own vision and style of big air riding, no matter how they are connected to the board.

I tried to say that IMO it sounds stupid to limit boots if you allow surfboards. Also IMO it doesn’t bring variation if you throw out all the boots-riders because they can’t do board-offs and let in riders who can’t do passes (or even board offs). This is something that seems to happen now, and it’s something different than I would like to see.
But maybe it’s just me... I haven’t been happy with judging past years, and would probably have given the title to Jesse.

Werito
Medium Poster

Postby Werito » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:16 pm

a99 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:44 pm
I wrote already- without live jump data their 70% height rule is subjective. We need LiVE jumps data in KOTA !!!!

We saw in tv how those judjes are working in Kota - drinking redbull happy and joking. Some friends of some particupants and etc. What is why we need proofs of jumps meters if they stand for 70 height rule.

This is so true....
Actually I would like to see height 50%.

With this I bet it’s #kevinwinsagain

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Werito wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 3:11 pm
Toby wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:08 pm

Please

Yes, I would like to see those megaloop rotations and handlepasses. Also would like to see board-offs and one footers.
Especially, I would like to see some extreme moves like megaloop KGB (did we see any last year), Jesse’s double half cab and totally new stuff like landing those kiteloops to blind/wrapped. These can actually be thrown only by few riders. In general I would like to see different riders expressing their own vision and style of big air riding, no matter how they are connected to the board.

I tried to say that IMO it sounds stupid to limit boots if you allow surfboards. Also IMO it doesn’t bring variation if you throw out all the boots-riders because they can’t do board-offs and let in riders who can’t do passes (or even board offs). This is something that seems to happen now, and it’s something different than I would like to see.
But maybe it’s just me... I haven’t been happy with judging past years, and would probably have given the title to Jesse.
that's the variety we are talking about...I didn't mean it should not be shown...it should be shown as well as boardoffs etc.

Return to “Kitesurfing”