Forum for kitesurfers
kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Postby kitenight11 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:14 pm

Thanks, could you upload a quick and dirty Clip?
That would be great to help my decision. How many meters have you put the linemount above the bar?

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 12:55 am

Hi,
just a quick update: Got the hero 8 and tried the horizon levelling. Absolutely magic. As easy as one click. Just put the cam 1m higher as usual in the lines with settings wide and 4/3 in 2.7k.
Unfortunately no time to upload a clip, sorry.

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sat Dec 14, 2019 6:18 pm

so, bought the Max, and went to kite in waves, one of the best conditions for this particular spot. Nailed lot of stuff and was stoked that the Max would record everything. Fkkkn hell!!!!
This piece of shit recorded 17 seconds movie, and then only sound and freezed pic on the movie side. I am more than pi$$$ed on this shit.
Now when I recorded again at home, it did this same shit after 9 seconds, movie frozes but I can hear the sounds. The next one it did ok for 60 seconds piece. But how can I trust this shit now?!?

I used the memory card it came with from GoPro webshop from Netherlands and the second time another memory card.

Anything I can do to this other than send it back violently aggressive?!?!?

EDIT: looking at Gopro support forum, it seems I'm not the only one. They say users should update the firmware to the newest 1.30 version, well mine has that, and also reformat the memory card, did that too in the first place. There's something shitty going on because the gopro cannot connect to the computer either, many people have this problem as well. Lots of problems with this one it seems, shame to release half finished product to consumers without finding out the root cause of the problems.

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:02 pm

Maybe for those guys wondering if they should go for the hero 8 or the max: Honestly I can't complain about footage Quality nor horizon levelling. It#s darn perfect real magic - and only one click to level the whole footage.
Maybe the max files a re more complicated because levelling is done in cam and processed from a 360 file?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 15, 2019 9:40 am

So I can understand the Gopro 8 horizon leveling is to no use really...

In particular not when Gopro is used for action screen shots where picture quality is key.

Bugger, but good to know, no need to change from the 6 and 7 then, yet :wink:

8) Peter

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:57 am

@peterfrank: What I wanted tell you is exactly the opposite. It is fabulous for us kitesurfers.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 15, 2019 11:29 am

kitenight11 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:57 am
@peterfrank: What I wanted tell you is exactly the opposite. It is fabulous for us kitesurfers.

For me no, if it decreases the picture quality it is a no go.

newold86 described this, and I've experienced the exact same thing with almost every single camera (many) with digital stabilisation.

For video most likely fine, but for quality movie screen caps a no no.

Can it keep it level when it can not see the horizon, like if using linear mode and having the kite high?

One can always turn the leveling off though, agree, so one can choose, great.

8) Peter

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Yes, even when it cannot see the horizon, it levels. How much quality do you need/what is your intentikn? If you want quality footage you take a red or dslr, but not a gopro with all the artefacts (if you want to see them).
You can calculate yourself what you get out of a 4k (4:3) video with high bitrate of 100mb/s and you decrease the resolution due to leveling of appr. 20%!
Quality decrease is not visible on any screens I watched the footage.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:00 pm

kitenight11 wrote:
Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:24 pm
Yes, even when it cannot see the horizon, it levels. How much quality do you need/what is your intentikn? If you want quality footage you take a red or dslr, but not a gopro with all the artefacts (if you want to see them).
You can calculate yourself what you get out of a 4k (4:3) video with high bitrate of 100mb/s and you decrease the resolution due to leveling of appr. 20%!
Quality decrease is not visible on any screens I watched the footage.

Sorry to say, but no, you can NOT calculate the decrease in quality in any way, as it depends on so many other factors and resolution is only one of them.
Bit rate extremely important too, but not the only factor either, SO many other parameters matters, especially when it is a bit darker, even just cloudy can change quality down a lot, and if close to sunset it goes down by a huge margin.

I always shoot in the highest possible resolution, which is 2704 x 2028 pixels and 4:3 so you dont miss anything (as 16:9 would) when you want to avoid the fisheye which IMO is horrible for pictures because of the distortions.

Red or DSLR cams are neither watertight nor small and NOT suited for our daily use at all, so not possible.

What I always seek, is the best quality (still pictures captured from video) for the smallest camera.

GoPro is till now the best I've found, it only has a few downsides, namely really bad in low light, worse than others, and its whitebalance sometimes go totally south.
But the quality when light, and its remote, and small size and no casing, is awesome.

Must say I think newold86 is correct about a lot of deterioration, he has some experience regarding this it seems.
But you say the opposite, so difficult to know which is correct.

8) Peter

kitenight11
Medium Poster

Postby kitenight11 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:02 am

Don't make it more complicated than it is. So if you are happy with your pix taken out of the footage - ok. So now just zoom in/crop them 20% and you will see the rusalt you'll get. No more no less. Now it's up to you to judge.
Btw, fisheye is gone if you crop.
I'm sure noirmatter hates this cam :-)

Return to “Kitesurfing”