Local Beach: 3rd Ave, Cotote Pt., Crissy
Favorite Beaches: Kite Beach Maui
Gear: Slingshot for all!
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: New Woo jump record: 33.9m

Postby CaliRider » Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:56 am

we wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:38 am
Is it possible to get the raw data off the woo? A 6 axis accelerometer should be relatively accurate. My guess is they are making some assumptions and that assumption is the woo doesn't know which way is down. So as the board goes from flat to some other orientation, the woo has to guess which way is down. With the raw data, you should be able to construct the entire jump (distance, launch angle etc) and the entire session.
Woo doesn’t record raw data. The xenser did and they world replay your session in 3D.
With an accelerometer, the sensor knows where the ground is, that’s gravity. There’s no guessing, it knows.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon Dec 23, 2019 9:36 am

Toby wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:25 am
JakeFarley wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 1:36 am
Was just wondering if attaching the Woo to something other than your board would produce more consistent/accurate results. Perhaps harness, helmut, bar...? All the vibration, shock from hard riding and landings may have some effect on it? Whoo knows?
That would be interesting if someone could compare...specially with two Woo at the same time.
Helmet and board that is.

Anyone ?
Xensr released their software for the iwatch a few years ago. Apparently it was accurate enough but they acknowledged at the time that the software could be off if you punched upwards at the zenith (similar idea to kicking the board upwards to get the sensors thinking you are are still rising). A helmet mounted sensor might get rid of that inaccuracy? Though I guess helmets aren't as ubiquitous as they are in cold water sports.

fluidity
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 115kg
Local Beach: Ngati Toa, Plimmerton, Titahi Bay, Waikanae, Petone, Seatoun, Lyall Bay, Eastbourne, Lake Wairarapa
Favorite Beaches: Plimmerton
Style: Wave, jump
Gear: Transitioned from Kiting to Wingsurfing late 2019. Building my own foils from my CAD designs and 3D prints, CNC machine.
Brand Affiliation: Designer of hydrofoils and many other things.

Postby fluidity » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:49 am

flysurfing wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:22 am
I suspect those readings to be totally bogus.
I had myself a 23+ meter jump while it was definitely below 18...
Wouldnt trust any of those "world record" claims without a picture.
Watch some of Kevin Langree's kevlogs on youtube in Capetown. (Where Mike is getting his jumps)
Glassy water between wide spread waves, steady wind.

Give a talented and athletic guy a kite with a huge wind range in these conditions and the jumps are going to be very high. For comparison, here in NZ we've had 27m+ by our national rep in strong conditions in our closest equivalent conditions but much more gusty, a kite with not quite as good a reputed range and rougher-choppy water, mixed wave directions and closer spaced waves.

Some of our local guys can get close to 20m.

Return to “Kitesurfing”