Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Monofoil or "riding stabless", setup and riding

Postby foilfun » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:52 am

Attach the back wing up close to the mast. Looks like you have some holes there (I drill and tap mine). It'll give you more stability but also about 50% of the free mono feel. I call it a stubby. Very fun.
Attachments
WP_20191010_21_14_48_Pro.jpg

foilfun
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Hefner, Oklahoma City
Favorite Beaches: SPI, Texas
Style: kite foiling, surfboard, winging
Gear: LP, DT, Cab, NP, Fanatic, Takuma

Postby foilfun » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:22 am

Still having fun learning the mono! Enjoyed learning to ride my 720 LP in the waves in SPI. No pictures, though. ☹ Video is from a light day a few weeks ago in SPI. Good times!

Had a fun Woo session on the 590 LP today!

Attachments
wp_ss_20191216_0003.png

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:40 am

:thumb: Fun !

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster
Style: wave foiling
Gear: This and that

Postby slowboat » Fri Dec 20, 2019 9:35 pm

Well, I gave it a try. Got a Delta Monofoil with 28 inch mast. I was stunned at how little drag it has. It is amazingly smooth and responsive and not that hard to ride. Riding strong side came pretty quickly. Coming around to toe side took me two tries. Riding on my weak side is still a bit sketchy after my first session. I think my Delta monofoil is going to be amazing for catching small wind swell. I hope to eventually progress to bigger wave days. If you have any interest at all, I strongly suggest you try the Delta. Discuss with George what the best strut length might be for you.

Denisesewa
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: SPI
Style: Freeride Hydrofoil , Surf
Gear: Cloud quiver, LP foil, MHL foil, DIY foils , Many boards

Postby Denisesewa » Sat Dec 21, 2019 2:30 am

It looks like the delta Mono is a good design, I like that the mast is behind the trailing edge of the wing ( as I've said before I think this provides a better feel) but I don't really get the trend towards huge wings for use with kites? It seems to me 1000 sq cm is about Max for allaround freestyle and surf, Dan ( foilfun)rips
on much smaller wings and I like a mono around 900 sq cm.
I wonder if Delta will add a smaller size to their mono line, I'd also prefer a composite mast rather than aluminum, anyway I'd like to try the delta but I'm happy with mine especially since an experienced monofoiler has now ridden it and given positive feedback.
(Thanks Dan) 🙂

ghradil
Rare Poster
Local Beach: RI
Favorite Beaches: Gorge, any RI beach, PR
Style: Foils
Gear: Delta Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: I am head of Delta Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0

Postby ghradil » Sat Dec 21, 2019 3:22 am

We offer the Cozumel wing which is around 900 sq cm and is also designed specifically for use without stabilizer. This is the foil evaluated by the Ok kiteboarder (kyle), although he used it with a stabilizer.

6 months ago I would have completely agreed with you about the size of kite wings. The Mono 1500 has changed my mind, it is my favorite free ride kite wing. As long as the wing is properly designed and is low drag, a larger wing can be very nice for kiting. The 1500 mono is faster than most 900 sq cm wings.

Regards,

George

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Sat Dec 21, 2019 12:09 pm

Absolutely agree about size! And very appreciated that we are able to talk with designer himself.
And some more question about delta.
Do you George ride 1500 with or without stab? Im currently riding moses 633 /Tony Logosz, SS design/ I know that ok kiteboarder made direct review and as much as appreciate it - it was clear that he is not very expercienced and ride way more powered than needed. So if you dont mind and if you know /im sure you tested your design against "industry reference" :)/ could you please compare roll stability, pitch stability, low end and max speed. It will be very very helpful. Also any plan to European dealer? Im also interested about your carbon vs alu mast stiffness /is alu stiffer?/ and also about your general opinion about mast stiffness /bend and torque - is there such a thing as designed flex?/ and if there is plan for carbon mast and compatible fuselage. And sorry last question do you find your composite fuselage alu mast interface stiff enough? I had problem with this type of connection in past and found them weak link.

Many many thanks for answer, im deeply and honestly interested in your product - your design principles resonate with my opinions and i consider to buy your product.

Tomas, Europe

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Sun Dec 22, 2019 1:08 pm

The 1500 Delta is a big wing but the low drag (as a mono) is something that just has to be experienced as words would not do it justice.

tomtom
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tomtom » Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:00 am

But how much low drag? Compared to slow wing like NP Glide M or compared to Onda 633 - which is quite low drag? Thanks! Or even better some who tried both in low power environment /as small kite as possible with occasional pumping/ some comments?

Many thanks!!!

slowboat
Very Frequent Poster

Postby slowboat » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:51 am

tomtom wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 10:00 am
But how much low drag? Compared to slow wing like NP Glide M or compared to Onda 633 - which is quite low drag? Thanks! Or even better some who tried both in low power environment /as small kite as possible with occasional pumping/ some comments?

Many thanks!!!
I wish someone could quantify this Tomas. Of course, at this point it is very subjective. All I can say is compared to a Lift 170 (which I think is a very smooth foil), the Delta Mono (with 28 inch mast) FEELS like there is no water resistance.

As far as being able to go a kite size smaller, I don't know yet. Not enough time with the Delta but I think the limiting factor will be having enough kite to get up on the board and sink the foil. If I could start from a standing position, I feel I could definitely go down one kite size, maybe 2.

You need to contact George directly about shipping you one.

Return to “Hydrofoil”