Forum for snow- and landkiters
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: Opinions / reviews burton step on bindings and boots

Postby edt » Mon Dec 23, 2019 6:02 pm

Ok one more thing since I think you have enough advice on bindings you can figure out what you like now. Wear kneepads (outside the pants so they don't rip) elbow pads hips pads. Nature isn't like the ski mountain never know what you'll land on. Also never take your ski mountain board out in nature take your dirt board. I get so many core shots even at places I think I have scoped out.

-Artic rider
Rare Poster
Style: Freeride
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Postby -Artic rider » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:16 pm

I have used couple of different bindings when snowkiting and I like the ones that can be addjusted with zero forward lean. Many bindings have some forward lean even if you addjust them as upright as possible. The problem with forward lean especially when riding long distances on lakes and other flat areas (especially when no powder) is that my legs get tired because you can not stand ”straight” every ones in awhile to relax your legs from tension. Stiff boots won’t help either.
I haven’t tried snowkiting completely without highback, but I’m sure it would work (maybe not good idea in icy condiitions) So far the best for me is really old (and bad) Burton bindings which I wouldn’t use when snowboarding without kite.

So to this original topic - I think these Burton step ons might have this ”locked in forward lean problem” and that’s why I would be sceptical towards them working for me. But who knows for sure without trying 🤗

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:56 am

rleshem wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:46 pm
I have the step ons but don’t snow kite.
I think they are really good but you do not to be standing in order to click and in. So much easier than other bindings - no need to seat or bend down.
If you get them make sure to get the photon boots. The lower end rulers are too soft and they hurt my ankle bone.
Super happy you have posted here. It is good to have everyone pitch in on this forum regardless of your stance, take, or feelings on things. And just so you know, I am truly thankful, no bs "making fun of you", sarcasm, or nothing. Again, call me out if you even think I am giving you crap for any opinion you present here.

There is no better voice than those that have actually used the new iteration of step ins. I take a back seat as I have never used the new stuff since the old ones were only available when ski hills were liquidating their stock of the old version.

Can you tell us more about how positive the new ones lock on? I only ask this because the old ones were kind of junk for making a positive connection when clogged with snow on the boot or binding.

Matteo V
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Tue Dec 24, 2019 4:01 am

Anthonyshopguy wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 5:14 pm
Cheap worn out soft, lightly laced, boots are great. Bindings need to work well and I'm going to add one provision if you can find bindings were the buckle is very low profile or even glue some simple wood or foam blocks in front of the levers. The reason I'm saying this is last spring flying on a very wind shifty day the wind all of a sudden came out of a direction 30 degrees to what it had been. My 21 started to drop, then started to drift to orientate to the wind change. I had dropped down on the snow and waited for the kite to power back up. What I had failed to notice was my right leading edge line had slipped under the buckle on my right foot. The kite powered back up and all of a sudden I was being dragged across the snow with my board over my head. Releasing would have made things worse so I finally muscled up the line and managed to release it.
Paul Macaj (Motzy), from back in the day once made fun of the thought of using "Sorells" for snowkiting. As a founder of the snowkiting movement, lots of us heeded his words. But now, it seems he may have been a bit off in his judgement of loose fitting boots and binding connections.

Is he still out there???? Pat??? James????

rleshem
Medium Poster

Postby rleshem » Tue Dec 24, 2019 8:24 am

Matteo V wrote:
Tue Dec 24, 2019 3:56 am
rleshem wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 4:46 pm
I have the step ons but don’t snow kite.
I think they are really good but you do not to be standing in order to click and in. So much easier than other bindings - no need to seat or bend down.
If you get them make sure to get the photon boots. The lower end rulers are too soft and they hurt my ankle bone.
Super happy you have posted here. It is good to have everyone pitch in on this forum regardless of your stance, take, or feelings on things. And just so you know, I am truly thankful, no bs "making fun of you", sarcasm, or nothing. Again, call me out if you even think I am giving you crap for any opinion you present here.

There is no better voice than those that have actually used the new iteration of step ins. I take a back seat as I have never used the new stuff since the old ones were only available when ski hills were liquidating their stock of the old version.

Can you tell us more about how positive the new ones lock on? I only ask this because the old ones were kind of junk for making a positive connection when clogged with snow on the boot or binding.
The connection is easy but if you have snow in the binding you want to clear it. I never had an issue when riding groomed runs with some powder . I have not tried putting them on in deep snow - I think that might more challenging. I like them for regular boarding where you don’t take the lift regularly and not have to seat or bend every time. The connection is both front and back so edging is really nice.

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:04 pm

I used K2 Clickers for years, but I was making the same mistake that EDT mentioned, trying to launch my kite, then put my board on. Now, I always put the board on first. I use burton bindings with the backs taken off. I personally like a medium stiff boot with this configuration. I use Ride Lasso Boots with the double boa. I love these boots as they are light and comfortable. I have been using them for 5 years and I just bought my second pair. They are warm and water tight as well.

My 3B custom board recently delaminated after many years of solid use. I bought a Lib Tech Skunk Ape 170uw and I am very happy with the performance of this new board. It is light and has the float needed for Utah Pow.

The best purchase I made this year was Snow Deer electric mittens. I bought them on amazon for $140. They are awesome! Heat better than the much more expensive OR electric mitts. Plus, you can buy an extra set of batteries for 39 bucks. I buy them in the largest size and wear glove liners as well so when setting up my kite my fingers are never exposed. I use Serius Innovation glove liners. They are $19 on Amazon. They are a bit flimsy and only hold up half a season, but snow does not stick to the silver coating, so it is easy to keep the snow out of your mitts.

The best balaclava that I have found is the Blackstrap Balaclava hood, also on amazon for $30. You can cover your entire face on the coldest days.

Hey, it is all about maximizing comfort. You don’t want to end your session early on a cold powder day due to cold hands or get frostbite on your nose or cheeks.

Seawalker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks/North Beach/Presqu’ile provincial parks, ON Canada eh!
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay & Scraganne, Ireland.
4mile Port Douglas; Lancelin, Australia.
La Torche, France
Style: oldschool freeride
Gear: epic renegade 9m, Duotone Rebel 13m, north dragon w/ntt.

Past kites: flexifoil storm 10m. Looked awesome, death trap old non safety system
Slinglshot link 12m: Boring! Hated flying, zero wind range.
Airush Flow 10m: true C, ton of fun.

Postby Seawalker » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Wow awesome responses. Truly appreciate it. I am not getting notifications for this post. It’s given me a lot to think about. I’m not sure I have a rock board anymore. The other half may have one but I will be starting out on a lake only so it’s either snow or ice no rocks hopefully my relatively new board will unaffected.

Loads of great tips here thank you. Protection, lines around bindings, board on first hence step on’s are not a major advantage, forward lean good to know as I snowboard with aggressive forward lean but would make sense to back it off.

So I need new boots regardless but burton step on’s require new bindings too. My bindings are getting old but work. The best news is I can decide on any boots now and if I go burton step ins it’s just for ease when actually snowboarding.

Edit: Step in’s changed to Step On’s (the modern burton variant on this technology)
Last edited by Seawalker on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

oksman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Favorite Beaches: Ceara, Ilhabela
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2018 9m and 13m
North TS 2018 138
Ronix Boots and NTT straps

Postby oksman » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:31 am

I think it's interesting to give an input here. I do have the Burton step on boots, and to be honest my first try on them was for snow kiting, more precisely on Ragnarok last year. My back ground is water kiting, and though I haven't snowkited a lot, I could try different types of bindings. First ones were Gnu speed entry, which I didn't fall in love to, but did the job. Not super fast to attach, but definitely easier then the Burton missions I tried later on. The good thing about the Gnu's is that the heel back could be kept really low and not lockedin, so that made the ride very comfortable. I was really concerned about the step ons as they have really limited heelback trimming available, and you can't remove those, but they turned out to be just amazing. Specially when the wind is too light and your kite falls down from the sky, you can easily get rid of your board, relaunch the kite and strap in. Later I tried them snowboarding and they are amazing too. You can give those a go without any fear!
These users thanked the author oksman for the post:
Seawalker (Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:47 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Seawalker
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Sandbanks/North Beach/Presqu’ile provincial parks, ON Canada eh!
Favorite Beaches: Brandon Bay & Scraganne, Ireland.
4mile Port Douglas; Lancelin, Australia.
La Torche, France
Style: oldschool freeride
Gear: epic renegade 9m, Duotone Rebel 13m, north dragon w/ntt.

Past kites: flexifoil storm 10m. Looked awesome, death trap old non safety system
Slinglshot link 12m: Boring! Hated flying, zero wind range.
Airush Flow 10m: true C, ton of fun.

Postby Seawalker » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:00 am

oksman wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:31 am
Later I tried them snowboarding and they are amazing too. You can give those a go without any fear!
Thanks oksman. I had some gift cards so pulled the trigger on the burton step ons. Your post gave me confidence it would suit both sports. Looking forward to using them snowboarding soon and will report back if I get the kite out this winter.

Cheers all.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:40 pm

-Artic rider wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:16 pm
I have used couple of different bindings when snowkiting and I like the ones that can be addjusted with zero forward lean. Many bindings have some forward lean even if you addjust them as upright as possible. The problem with forward lean especially when riding long distances on lakes and other flat areas (especially when no powder) is that my legs get tired because you can not stand ”straight” every ones in awhile to relax your legs from tension. Stiff boots won’t help either.
+1
I use my Spark R&D bindings with a negative 13* highback position (backward lean). They also have a mount kit for solid boards, so they can be used with both split and solid snowboards...
https://www.sparkrandd.com/splitboard-gear/
https://www.sparkrandd.com/gear/spark-solid-pucks/

Spark also makes Burton's version...
https://www.burton.com/us/en/p/burton-h ... 34601.html

Return to “Snow / Land”