Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby plummet » Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:48 am

So... Being a mutant rider does that mean I can ride anywhere or nowhere?

I subscribe to "try not to interrupt someone else's fun philosophy". If they are having fun i'll try to work around that however possible. In turn they should respect my fun.

Because I boost and wave ride I see both sides of the fence. Its both possible to boost on the way out without interupting somebody blazing dtl and is also possible to adjust your dtl for someone else's boosting.
In general terms you dont need the biggest set to boost off. So the easy way is to boost on the small sets then tack back upwind during the big sets. The wave riders will be attempting to blaze dtl on the big sets.

Also i hardly ever spend time next to the launch site. Thats where the plebs hang out. I get the hell upwind or downwind and find a less populated piece of ocean.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:17 am

plummet wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:48 am
"try not to interrupt someone else's fun philosophy"
^^^^
that!

it takes care of the order, imo..
if someone was there before you - don't screw them over..
and that could be beachgoers, fishermen, surfers, etc..

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:21 am

longwhitecloud wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:35 am
Goddam surfboard riders, the plague of the ocean. Think they own the ocean.
FUNNY! Actually I think about 80% of the surfboard miles in Oregon are ridden on the river.

And as a correction, I would say that "wave riders" reguardless of type of board, "think they own the ocean WAVES". Not true....the man in the grey suit...

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:27 am

plummet wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 2:48 am
Because I boost and wave ride I see both sides of the fence. Its both possible to boost on the way out without interupting somebody blazing dtl and is also possible to adjust your dtl for someone else's boosting.
In general terms you dont need the biggest set to boost off. So the easy way is to boost on the small sets then tack back upwind during the big sets. The wave riders will be attempting to blaze dtl on the big sets.
Many locations have a unique setup off of a point, the side of a reef, or directly behind a jetty. At those locations, the "perfect wave" can be concentrated at one single location in which only one kiter can fit at a time.

Long beach breaks that don't concentrate kiters?????? Heaven for getting away from the kooks, just taking a run on the outside to get around DTL strapless kiters, and your occasional teabagging beginner that did not catch me on the beach before I headed out. Easy peasy! Just usually very much lower quality waves.

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:38 am

Matteo V wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:27 am
Long beach breaks that don't concentrate kiters?????? Heaven for getting away from the kooks, just taking a run on the outside to get around DTL strapless kiters, and your occasional teabagging beginner that did not catch me on the beach before I headed out. Easy peasy! Just usually very much lower quality waves.
3rd world problems :-)
I live in New York with ~20m population and 90% of time I ride either alone or with no more than 4-7 people :-)
vlcsnap-2019-12-22-17h34m41s126 (1).jpg

Matteo V

Postby Matteo V » Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:48 pm

deniska wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 4:38 am
Matteo V wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 3:27 am
3rd world problems :-)
I live in New York with ~20m population and 90% of time I ride either alone or with no more than 4-7 people :-)
vlcsnap-2019-12-22-17h34m41s126 (1).jpg
Wow! Sounds like you need a TT ban there!

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:03 pm

So my feeling as a kiter, we all should share the ocean. Everyone gets to ride waves. But once you are on a wave, you have to be respectful.

The idea of wave priority is real. If someone is surfing a wave, be it on a twintip, a skimboard, a surfboard, with a kite without a kite, no matter, what if you see someone surfing a wave they have priority always, right foot forward, left foot forward starboard, port, doesn't matter. You must give way to someone riding a wave the reason being that there is ONE RULE that trumps everything in all boat safety. ONE RULE.

The more maneuverable craft MUST give way. Always. Doesn't matter if you are a fishing boat or million ton oil boat. That's the PRIMARY rule of the ocean.

When you are "On a Wave" you have way less maneuverability than if you are just riding. Unless you quit riding the wave you can't go left right up down doesn't matter. You have zero maneuverability. So if you see someone on a wave, GIVE WAY. That said, surfboards for waves seems silly to me. You want to ride a wave with everything! Wooden plank? Go for it. Inflatable raft? Do it! Body board? Do it! But be respectful to someone on a wave and don't insist on some misguided idea of "Oh I'm on a starboard tack" no that doesn't matter, what matters is they can't move from the line they are on because they are on a wave. let him or her have that wave. No matter if you are on a twntip or surfboard.

If you are on a twintip using a wave as a kicker, let the surfer go by and find another kicker please. You are only on the wave for 1 second, you're not riding the wave.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:50 pm

edt wrote:
Fri Dec 27, 2019 5:03 pm
If you are on a twintip using a wave as a kicker, let the surfer go by and find another kicker please. You are only on the wave for 1 second, you're not riding the wave.
but TT use it as well as kicker to boost. Both use it. Can't boost in chop, can't surf in chop.

give space, as you mentioned, we have to share the ocean, doesn't matter what you ride or how.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Fri Dec 27, 2019 6:56 pm

The twin tip rider boosting off the kicker must give way to the guy riding the wave. Every single time. Don't knock him off the wave because you think you have right of way. If you force him off the wave you ruined his entire wave. Then he has to go to the back of the wave, wait for a set, then start it over again. You just have to wait a couple seconds for another kicker.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Fri Dec 27, 2019 7:45 pm

he can also wait if TT has right of way. don't see it only one way.

Return to “Kitesurfing”