Forum for kitesurfers
edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Re: twintip use inappropriate

Postby edt » Sat Dec 28, 2019 7:51 pm

I definitely want to get to the cape just to watch the red bull comp in person some time. 20c water is plenty warm for me. I know that when you make a video it always looks so much smaller. I can't imagine how huge it must look in person.
These users thanked the author edt for the post:
prop_joe (Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:28 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:33 pm

Matteo V wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 4:26 pm
Toby wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:20 am
As said, give and take.
Per session I wait more for others than anyone else.

You never rode with me so how dare you say that.
Yeah, we had this discussion already in another thread. Toby was complaining about some dork trying to surf a half meter wave that made it into the flatwater lagoon. And just on the outside it was like twice as big! I'd be pissed too. Ride the feature where it is good, not where it is barely of note. (Yes, sometimes I will do some riding on secondaries on the inside on double overhead days too.)

I am pretty sure Toby is not one of those guys that rides in the break and avoids the wave to ride on the flat.
That wasn't entirely the case tho. There was more than enough room there to ride past, but Toby wanted to jump and was complaining that another rider was doing his own thing. It really was not about yielding or not, it was that he didn't want the other guy there at all.

Look, I don't know how Toby rides..I am assuming, like you are, that he is conscientious and are very well behaved like most of us are. What I am looking for is a conversation where we don't complain about fellow kiters, where we do not absolutely will hold our ground because we have the right hand forward. Jumping negates all that anyway.

Whenever I am on a TT I stay away from the main waves because I really do not need to be there. I also try to not ride in locations where I see people try to load up for a jump because if I don't need to be there, then why not let people jump. I don't care if a TT rides past or don't yield if I am on a small wave. I do care if he does not yield when I am on a big wave...like 10+ feet because my ability to do anything may be severely limited. I've ridden 2x overhead onshore waves where a guy pinched me so severely that it got me into a pretty bad position. I had no power in my kite, and he held his ground. I barely made it. I stuck with me because we almost collided and I could not maneuver away. If I was on the other side of that I would turn, regardless of what board I had.

Anyway, my point is that we have to get away from discussing this as hard rules. Use some empathy with fellow riders and know when someone needs us to stay away from a rotation whether it is for waves or for jumping.
These users thanked the author tautologies for the post (total 3):
jumptheshark (Sun Dec 29, 2019 4:43 am) • or6 (Sun Dec 29, 2019 9:52 am) • Peter_Frank (Sun Dec 29, 2019 11:30 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:56 pm

Exactly.

That’s why the op is furious that there is a rule that a TT is not welcome.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Sat Dec 28, 2019 10:19 pm

Toby wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:56 pm
Exactly.

That’s why the op is furious that there is a rule that a TT is not welcome.
What do we know about what has been going on tho? If there is one nice wave and TT users and beginners have been constantly putting fellow kiters in danger by holding their line regardless if someone is on a wave or jumping in the waves cutting it off for everyone, then I would say it is appropriate with rules. Most locations have some tacit rules kind of like this, and most of the time it isn't an issue.
Now I do agree to me it seems odd that the delineation on what board you use, but it is hard to judge without more information IMO.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Sat Dec 28, 2019 11:08 pm

here's my translation of the notice: there's a launch and land area only launch and land there stay away from the sunbathers. If you are near sunbathers don't ride, just control the kite. kiters already on the wave have priority. windsurfers have priority over kiters. Lower your kite when passing downwind. SUPs and surfers have priority over kiters always. Look behind you when you change direction and keep 50 meters from swimmers. There's a wind shadow behind the island watch out for it.

All of that is completely reasonable and normal. Now for the last line.

"atencao local inapropriado para pranchas bidirectionais e inciantes"

Which I gather means ATTENTION: This spot is inappropriate for twintips and beginners.

Sounds like it's a crowded launch so they don't want beginners losing the launch because they crash their kite on a sunbather. I can understand why the rule is there. If they just said "Inappropriate for twintips" that would be one thing but they said twintips and beginners, so you can see why the rule is there. Nobody thinks they are a beginner, so of course they'll deny that they are a beginner, but it's impossible to deny you are on a twintip.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:30 am

It doesn't say beginners on twintips, it says twintip AND beginners...which means surfboard riders only.
It's a known wave spot.
But a guy on TT can also ride a wave...

Matteo V
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby Matteo V » Sun Dec 29, 2019 3:42 am

Toby wrote:
Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:30 am
Yep, that is my call too. Don't restrict a board type if you don't know how a rider is riding. TT's rip on waves. Kind of like the evolution of prone surfboard, to kitesurfboard, to low volume directional, and then maybe some day back to TT!

But I don't think I could ever (de) evolve that far. - see, even I am a bit of a stuck up "di (rectional holdover from surfing)" guy.

BOEMIX
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sant Pere Pescador (Spain)
Favorite Beaches: Etang de l'Eole, La Franqui (France)
Style: Freeriding
Gear: Kites: ozone: Flusurfer Soul15m, Flusurfer Peak 11m, Flysurfer Peak 8m, Ozone access 6m, Ozone Enduro 7 and 10m, Ozone Edge 13m,
Boards: Naish Bullet 5,4, Liewe Shotgun 138x41, Custom Saul 145x45, Custom Race TTBoard, Custom Rikyshapes foil board with Sabfoil.

For winging: Duotone 5'5 Aluula Unit, Takuma Ride3 5m, Cabrinha Mantis 4m, Slinshot 3'2, and also Custom Rikyshapes winging with Sabfoil as the biard/foil.

Postby BOEMIX » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:16 pm

My home spot gets crowded on summer, as a twintiper, I let the wave break fir them.

Anyway, as I like to kiteloop, i prefer to ride more inside the sea in the case something goes wrong still have some water to absorb the crash.

So I really have respect to peoole who kiteloop near shore, but at the same time I think they are a bit crazy!

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:17 am

edt wrote: Which I gather means ATTENTION: This spot is inappropriate for twintips and beginners.
To me this line does not mean that TT riders and banned from this spot. It just means the it is probably dangerous for the average TT rider. You need to review and determine if you have the skill to ride it if you have a TT.
If the answer is yes than Go hard.
Toby wrote:
It doesn't say beginners on twintips, it says twintip AND beginners...which means surfboard riders only.
It's a known wave spot.

There is a limit to what type of wave a TT can wave ride practically/safely. Small ankle biters... sure go hard. Get into lumpy steep double head and on a TT it starts getting real hard to not bury the nose taking the drop and bottom turn. You need to stomp the back foot hard not to nose dive and cartwheel through the washing machine. Even then you dont have enough length of rail to bite in or enough fin to not slide out on the superfast bottom turn.

So I would suggest that there are some spots that are not conducive to TT wave riding. That's not to say that you cant TT at that location by boosting off the ramps and ripping around the waves. But you will easily get punished if you try to TT wave ride that monster. I have a spot like that. It is hardcore and takes no prisoners. In the beginning days, I rode it on a wave TT and was terrifying on the big days. That location is why i delved into the mutant designs. I still wanted the glory of TT boosting action, forwards/backward and shallows riding. But I wanted to ride the monsters without dying. The end result is a board with quad fins at that back offset foot stance. Both those features combine with some nice rocker allow me to take the drop, not nose dive and get punished and the carve a mean as bottom turn without losing the edge and sliding out into the jaws of the monster.

Most people consider my mutant board a TT. It looks like one, is very similar in size and shape. Over the years I've had many people ask me how hell I can ride the big waves on a TT. I explain that its in the secret sauce that is in my mutant.

Anyway, a sign warning TT riders at my extreme location wouldn't be a bad idea. I rescued a TT the other day from a guy who went out at that location and got into a spot of bother. He had to body drag through the boulders among the breakers in the turbulent rotor of a wind shadow to get back to shore. Touch and go stuff. I then rode in holding his board riding the wave, flying the kite with one hand into the wind shadow and boulder field to get the board back. It was indeed dodgy.

fzonatto
Medium Poster
Local Beach: none
Favorite Beaches: Guriu
Style: freeride
Gear: north rebel

Postby fzonatto » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:30 am

plummet wrote:
Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:17 am
edt wrote: Which I gather means ATTENTION: This spot is inappropriate for twintips and beginners.
To me this line does not mean that TT riders and banned from this spot. It just means the it is probably dangerous for the average TT rider. You need to review and determine if you have the skill to ride it if you have a TT.
If the answer is yes than Go hard.
Toby wrote:
It's a known wave spot.

There is a limit to what type of wave a TT can wave ride practically/safely. Small ankle biters... sure go hard. Get into lumpy steep double head and on a TT it starts getting real hard to not bury the nose taking the drop and bottom turn. You need to stomp the back foot hard not to nose dive and cartwheel through the washing machine. Even then you dont have enough length of rail to bite in or enough fin to not slide out on the superfast bottom turn.

So I would suggest that there are some spots that are not conducive to TT wave riding. That's not to say that you cant TT at that location by boosting off the ramps and ripping around the waves. But you will easily get punished if you try to TT wave ride that monster. I have a spot like that. It is hardcore and takes no prisoners. In the beginning days, I rode it on a wave TT and was terrifying on the big days. That location is why i delved into the mutant designs. I still wanted the glory of TT boosting action, forwards/backward and shallows riding. But I wanted to ride the monsters without dying. The end result is a board with quad fins at that back offset foot stance. Both those features combine with some nice rocker allow me to take the drop, not nose dive and get punished and the carve a mean as bottom turn without losing the edge and sliding out into the jaws of the monster.

Most people consider my mutant board a TT. It looks like one, is very similar in size and shape. Over the years I've had many people ask me how hell I can ride the big waves on a TT. I explain that its in the secret sauce that is in my mutant.

Anyway, a sign warning TT riders at my extreme location wouldn't be a bad idea. I rescued a TT the other day from a guy who went out at that location and got into a spot of bother. He had to body drag through the boulders among the breakers in the turbulent rotor of a wind shadow to get back to shore. Touch and go stuff. I then rode in holding his board riding the wave, flying the kite with one hand into the wind shadow and boulder field to get the board back. It was indeed dodgy.
Not is not the dangerous is they want the spot from themselves is very simple I know the spot

There is nothing magic is sand bottom and actually I should make the call if is dangerous for me

Return to “Kitesurfing”