Local Beach: Dalarö, Gålö
Gear: Ozone catalyst
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Looking for a social kite surfing camp in Asia

Postby Hejhejkite » Mon Dec 30, 2019 1:50 pm

Hi!
I’m looking for someplace to go kite surfing in Asia which is suitable for young solo travelers who want to socialize. I am a Swedish 28 year old living in Myanmar. I have kite surfed for a couple of years but would like to take some classes to improve technique and learn jumps.
Preferably I want to go around 10-19 of April. All advice are welcome!

/Sara

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Re: Looking for a social kite surfing camp in Asia

Postby Havre » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:01 pm

Kingfisher in the Philippines seems to be a good spot for solo travelers, but I think mid April might bit a bit too late (not an expert on the season there).

https://indonesiakitesurfing.com/ looks like an amazing place, but it is rather remote. Not sure what kind of people you will meet there - if it is a place for other solo travelers or not. Being remote I guess it is easy to get in touch with whoever is staying there.

Personally when I have been traveling by myself I have never had any problems getting in touch with other kiters.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:27 pm

Na, King Fisher is nothing to socialize.

Boracay, Mui Ne ... this are good place to kite and meet people...and nightlife!

Not sure about April though...might be too late for good wind.

If not too far, consider Egypt...wind should be ok, and El Gouna is a good place for solo travelers.

Keep us informed what you decided for, always interesting to know.

Havre
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Oslo
Favorite Beaches: Jericoacoara (area) & Cabarete
Gear: Ozone Edge v11 13m, Ozone Edge v11 9m, Ozone Zephyr 17m, Ozone Enduro v1 12m, Ozone Enduro v1 9m, HQ Topaz 7m, Shinn Ronson Player, Mystic Majestic X Harness, Mystic Stealth Bar

Postby Havre » Mon Dec 30, 2019 2:39 pm

Depends on the kind of socializing I guess. Never been to Kingfisher, but since people are all there for the same reason it should be easy to get in touch with people. Boracay would be a bit different kind of socializing. If you like partying etc.

Been to Boracay in April. Definitely at the back end of the season. Mid April could still be good, but certainly borderline. We had 0 wind the last days in April.

Not sure how the conditions are in Boracay these days. Still sewage issues? I loved the island, but as stated several times before I would never go back until they fixed the sewage issue on Bulabog.

sarc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby sarc » Mon Dec 30, 2019 3:23 pm

Anywhere in Taiwan. You are sure to make friends. Excellent English spoken and gear for sale/rent: look up following in Facebook: nico wsf, sunrise bed and breakfast Penghu, The Spot Zhunan. There are more.

magnusod
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: West coast Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Le Morne, Phan Rang, Kingfisher
Style: Waves
Gear: North Charge, Duotone Fish SLS, Gong Allvator Curve, Naish Slash, Naish Boxer

Postby magnusod » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:14 am

Hej Sara,

From Sweden but used to live in Thailand for many years and traveled to most of the Asian spots. Unfortunately I have to say that April is probably the worst month finding a reliable spot. This is when the Thai New Year is and we always tried to find a spot with consistent wind but never succeeded.
If you can go later May-Sep I would highly recommend Sri Lanka as these are really surf camps as there is nothing to do outside the surf camp and you eat breakfast lunch and dinner together at the camp. I went to this one and can highly recommend it https://www.kitesurfinglanka.com/ There will be a mix of people from all over the world.

If you can go earlier Oct-March I would really recommend Phan Rang in Vietnam, either https://www.phikiteschool.com/ or http://phanrangkitecenter.com/ I went to Phi:s center which is also highly recommended. I still think that there's a Swedish instructor at Phan Rang kitecenter.

I have not been to the spot on Sulawesi recommended earlier in this thread. It might have wind in April as they state but I wonder if it's really busy and that you will meet a lot of people there. Seems more like a resort than a camp.
Windwise in April I would say that Taiwan is the best option, apart from Sulawesi which I never visited, but there are not really any surf camps in Taiwan either.

elguapo
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: pattaya
Gear: ..
Has thanked: 0

Postby elguapo » Tue Dec 31, 2019 1:41 am

i hear phuket has a nightlife that males traveling solo that desire social interactions...may appreciate.

BillyGoatGruff
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: UK
Gear: Naish Torch's & Dash

Postby BillyGoatGruff » Tue Dec 31, 2019 9:23 pm

sorry but Phuket is really weak and flakey winds....definitely not a good kite destination. cabarete season would be starting at the end of April.

Swekite
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Local Beach: Lomma Sweden
Favorite Beaches: Rättvik Sweden
Style: Freeride
Gear: Naish Torch
Brand Affiliation: Ripatrip

Postby Swekite » Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:33 pm

Hi Sara! I'm Simon, a fellow Swedish kitesurfer living in Portugal at the moment.

I actually just joined ripatrip and our platform was built exactly for your kind of search! Check out https://kitesurf.ripatrip.com/ and you can search the details you mentioned:

- April 10-19
- Wind
- Nightlife
- Region

and then a bunch more! Admittedly our coverage in Asia is the weakest but we're uploading a bunch more content and a few more destinations in Asia this week. Regardless, we have over 275+ destinations, 1000+ destination videos, and by far the easiest kitesurf travel search!

As per Toby's suggestion, I'd recommend checking out Egypt as well. El Gouna is a great spot for solo travelers; https://kitesurf.ripatrip.com/kite/egypt/el-gouna/

Hope that helps, and if you have any questions don't hesitate :)
These users thanked the author Swekite for the post:
kitesurfski1 (Thu Feb 13, 2020 6:36 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

ELI
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: ELI
Style: Surf
Gear: Cabs,Sling and Custom

Postby ELI » Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 am

I would suggest Vietnam, I flew there from Rangoon ,its a train/bus/car ride from HCM city/SGN airport .Many people in Mui Nei kiting .other places also. You will meet at the beach .V easy and inexpensive

Return to “Kitesurfing”