Ribulose
Rare Poster
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cabrinha control bar landing line sticky

Postby Ribulose » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm

I recently bought used gear to get into kitesurfing. The kite and bar are a 2011 Cabrinha. When I pull the emergency release on the control bar the landing line doesn't slide out smoothly. It feels hard for me to pull it through the black pipe. Is this normal? If it isn't, please let me know the fix. Thanks.

timothymcmackin
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Living in Durham, NC. Planning to kite mostly around Wilmington, NC.
Been thanked: 0

Re: Cabrinha control bar landing line sticky

Postby timothymcmackin » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:20 pm

I had a similar problem with one of my two 2012 bars:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2392165

I tried a few things to fix it, but in the end I junked the bars and bought an up-to-date Cab bar.

badgb21
Very Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: High Pines - Duxbury
Chapin/Mayflower Cape Cod
Langebaan
Cape Verde
Gear: None
Brand Affiliation: None. - The words of the prophets are written on the forum “walls”-

Postby badgb21 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:24 pm

Your 9-year-old gear not working too well.....hummmm?

Ribulose wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:23 pm
I recently bought used gear to get into kitesurfing. The kite and bar are a 2011 Cabrinha. When I pull the emergency release on the control bar the landing line doesn't slide out smoothly. It feels hard for me to pull it through the black pipe. Is this normal? If it isn't, please let me know the fix. Thanks.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:59 pm

Sadly they have never solved this issue....they need to make the tube bigger or eliminate the knot that gets hung up.. Other brands have the same problem,,,

2011 Cab bar???????????? I would personal ditch that bar. It's a two line flag that never worked that well IMO.......You are much better off with one line flag bar.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 am

Ribulose wrote: I recently bought used gear to get into kitesurfing. The kite and bar are a 2011 Cabrinha. When I pull the emergency release on the control bar the landing line doesn't slide out smoothly. It feels hard for me to pull it through the black pipe. Is this normal? If it isn't, please let me know the fix. Thanks.
Ribulose, when you push away the quick release the bar travels out to the stopper no problem in higher winds. However if the winds are lighter where the kite is underpowered the bar would not travel away freely so the user needs to manually push the bar away when working up the flagging line. The 2 line flagging system worked great from my experience. I was using the switchblade kite mainly. The great part of the 2 flagging line was that the kite pulled a lot less than a kite flagged on a single front line.

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:43 am

IWB2 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 am
Ribulose wrote: I recently bought used gear to get into kitesurfing. The kite and bar are a 2011 Cabrinha. When I pull the emergency release on the control bar the landing line doesn't slide out smoothly. It feels hard for me to pull it through the black pipe. Is this normal? If it isn't, please let me know the fix. Thanks.
Ribulose, when you push away the quick release the bar travels out to the stopper no problem in higher winds. However if the winds are lighter where the kite is underpowered the bar would not travel away freely so the user needs to manually push the bar away when working up the flagging line. The 2 line flagging system worked great from my experience. I was using the switchblade kite mainly. The great part of the 2 flagging line was that the kite pulled a lot less than a kite flagged on a single front line.
Mmm, but they would not always roll over, that was the problem.. The industry has ditched them completly at this point...

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 am

matth wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:43 am
Mmm, but they would not always roll over, that was the problem.. The industry has ditched them completly at this point...
Mine always rolled over, but then they'd keep on pulling and fly upside down in the sky :lol:

The only time I've released out of fear of life and limb, that "feature" came in handy on the walk across the lagoon back to the beach :D

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Sat Jan 04, 2020 3:39 am

My 2010 bars do have not this problem as there are no splices in the line. See attached pictures. The only thing I can think of that would not let the line slide freely is that there is a buildup of sand in the PU tubing or if the screw on the red stopper is screwed tight onto the IDS landing line, it could pinch it making it hard to pull through the PU tubing. Also, if when Cabrinha built the bar and sewed the PU tubing to the depower line, perhaps they also sewed through the IDS landing line making it immovable, but this does not sound like your problem.
20200103_212412.jpg
20200103_212342.jpg

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:48 pm

matth wrote:
IWB2 wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:17 am
The only time the switchblade ids would not instantly roll over was in very light winds where it would stay leading edge down. The easy technique to then make it roll over was to tug and release the ids line. With hundreds of self rescues or self lands never an issue once regardless the wing strength.

IWB2
Very Frequent Poster

Postby IWB2 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:52 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:58 am
matth wrote:
Mine always rolled over, but then they'd keep on pulling and fly upside down in the sky :lol:

The only time I've released out of fear of life and limb, that "feature" came in handy on the walk across the lagoon back to the beach :D
I’m guessing you were flying the crossbow ids model? The switchblade ids from my experience stayed leading edge down almost always with a very light pull when compared to an offset single front line flagged kite.

Return to “Kitesurfing”