leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Practise landing loops

Postby leeuwen » Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:42 pm

Doing lots of them currently but not a master yet so take with a grain of salt.
In my experience when jumping riding to the left and pulling the back hand for the loop:
I will rotate my full body to the right during the loop. My board will point pretty much straight downwind by the time I will land but it will vary a bit from jump to jump based on how tight the loop was where I started the loop in the window etc.
The rotation for me comes naturally because the kite turns a bit to right/back of me and I just try to keep the same angle under the kite all the time (with my body sort of parallel to the kite position)

Hope this helps and have fun, looping a kite resulting in a super soft landing is an awesome feeling.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
kajtarn74 (Sat Jan 04, 2020 9:03 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kiteswede
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Göteborg
Gear: F-one kite

Postby kiteswede » Sun Jan 05, 2020 7:28 am

Will this help?
These users thanked the author kiteswede for the post:
kajtarn74 (Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:36 am)

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 9:02 am

You don't say what starts the rotation. My guess is you probably naturally turn forward as you send the kite forward just as you would in a normal small jump. Try usig your eyes-head-shoulders to counter rotate against this kite movement and then turn back with the loop. This is just a guess!!
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:
kajtarn74 (Sun Jan 05, 2020 10:28 am)

oksman
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Ilhabela
Favorite Beaches: Ceara, Ilhabela
Style: Freeride, Freestyle
Gear: North Vegas 2018 9m and 13m
North TS 2018 138
Ronix Boots and NTT straps
Has thanked: 0

Postby oksman » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:48 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 6:42 pm
Doing lots of them currently but not a master yet so take with a grain of salt.
In my experience when jumping riding to the left and pulling the back hand for the loop:
I will rotate my full body to the right during the loop. My board will point pretty much straight downwind by the time I will land but it will vary a bit from jump to jump based on how tight the loop was where I started the loop in the window etc.
The rotation for me comes naturally because the kite turns a bit to right/back of me and I just try to keep the same angle under the kite all the time (with my body sort of parallel to the kite position)

Hope this helps and have fun, looping a kite resulting in a super soft landing is an awesome feeling.
That is the exactly same thing that works for me. If you're pulling your back hand, basically your heliloop is a kiteloop. You really need to rotate you're body until you're at the same wind axis (parallel to wind direction), and facing the kite when it's finishing the loop. By doing that your board is straight downwind, and you'll have a smooth landing.
Regular landings are forgiving when you don't position your board straight downwind, but with a heliloop, even though it delivers lots of vertical support, the horizontal speed is much higher. So, twisting your body and landing perpendicular to regular kiting direction is mandatory.

I hope this also helps

Return to “Kitesurfing”