Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Flysurfer Peak 4

Postby foilholio » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:16 am

Thanks for the reply Armin.

I will have to have a think of loop methods :-) I am not so sensitive for 4mm, within one ~16mm loop is enough for me.

The Peak 4 sounds a very user friendly kite especially for the long term then. I have seen others would like smaller ones. I also think single skins are perfect for training or school kites because of their durability. Smaller sizes would be good for children as well, the fact they may not relaunch could be a positive in some regards for safety.

Designing for shrink is certainly interesting. I have thought on this a lot. I am certain you have followed my words too from a long time ago on foilzone :-) there is without a doubt methods to design for this. Using differing diameters of line is one, Flysurfer has already used I know. Another is to design for what the line will eventually shrink to. Wittingly or unwittingly the prototype stage can design for this, somewhat. Here me out. Even in say a short time of a few weeks, kite bridles taken from new will shrink to something different. If you spend time with this kite adjusting, maybe lengthening some lines or shortening others, you will come to new lengths especially when measure again at 5kg or if the alteration are merely calculated against the made lengths. Well when these new lengths are made after a few weeks they will shrink to the lengths you altered for and so the kite should fly as you had hand tuned it. This I have witnessed with a few Flysurfer models now. A kite restretched does not fly quite right but after a little while does. If you were to carry the prototyping a little further maybe a year and adjust for the shrink you could account for most of it. You could highly likely come to formulas that calculate the likely amount any line on the kite would change.

I get Flysurfer has secrets and given nations like China it is the only solution for protection, but if lines are not stated as desired it can present a problem down the line. A quagmire indeed. Maybe if so it would be better to just present the desired lengths and not as made.

Awesome it is good to hear you are developing a new mixer. Flysurfer's design ethic is likely the best in the industry. To not release products before they are ready and proven, shows a great responsibility and care for your customer.

I am quite happy to discuss things in private if you want.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:37 pm

Armin Harich wrote:
Sat Dec 28, 2019 9:04 pm
We add final LCL to the spare set. They are special done, that the flamed end don't end at the know to not increase the breaking strength by "random".
If you want to extend, you can add a second LCL. If you want to reduce it, you can loop the line around the LCL. Here in the picture for example for -8mm.
The pinke line is Liros DSL70, if you want to buy the original one. Dealers can also order it from us, if they need it.

Cheers, Armin
Well, I understand it is not possible to add everything in the spare set, it is just about comparision:

Your solution (line cactus :wink: ) - My solution (happily having still enough DSL70 here)
Kitejunkie-LCL-versions.jpg

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:06 am

The loop solution is far more clean than either of them and quicker too. Flysurfer just in the design needs to make sure that the bridles after shrink and loops are not too short, i.e. make them a bit longer than needed.

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:49 am

Armin, any chance you could make a 2m peak?
Great session today, gusting over 40 knots on the 3m, but less powered would be much more manageable.

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:34 pm

I am just imagining the tiny parts on a 2m, would be cute. A still quite practical size for many uses, like kids, big foils. I am wondering if kayakers could be marketed with the kite as well. It might be worth while sending one to a prominent kayaker to try out.

Armin Harich
Frequent Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby Armin Harich » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:37 pm

Hallo.

A Peak 4 2.0 is not planned. We would need to redesign the Peak 4 to make such a small one. The 2 small Peak 4 have already the lowes sales in the range. But we will see, what we can do in future.
As Peak sales increase from year to year is start to make more and more sense to widen the range. Also the Water use increase at the Peak.

Horst Sergio LCL look like at my protos :-).

Cheers, Armin

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster

Postby foilholio » Tue Jan 07, 2020 12:44 am

That is interesting because the 3 and 4m are the most likely kites I would buy, a 2m I would seriously consider too. Then I am certainly a niche rider. The 13 and large sizes are certainly interesting but upwind performance and jumping are a concern. I am not sure the larger sizes could fit also with a surfboard where as the small ones would.

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:19 am

Really someone foiling above 40 knots ?? Would be nice to see video :) only maybe in the lake but definitely not in sea:)

Brian H
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Whiterock British Columbia
Favorite Beaches: Hurgada egypt
Style: Foilboarding
Gear: 120 groove skate board 110 & 150 Mhl lift. 9m hyperlink ultra light . 4m 5m 8m peak .4.5m Concept-air wave.

Postby Brian H » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 am

So ive missed a few good days lately as my 5m is to big , Ive used the 5m from 10-22 kts and find the sweet spot to be 12-16 . I'm 70 kg and ride a 120 groove skate with a 150 lift . Can I jump straight to the 3m ? Does the 3m have overlap with the 5m or will I wish I bought the 4m ?

jatem
Medium Poster
Local Beach: NZ
Style: Foil
Gear: J Shapes Pocket Board and Prone Board
Axis ART 999 foil with ultrashort fuse and HA 400 tail
Flysurfer Peak4 in 3m, 4m, 5m
Tow boogie

Postby jatem » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:41 am

a99 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:19 am
Really someone foiling above 40 knots ?? Would be nice to see video :) only maybe in the lake but definitely not in sea:)
My favourite days on the foil are lumpy ocean with 30+ knots. You don't get beat up from the chop like on a displacement board, and it's like flying over a wild ocean pump track, hunting for peaks and troughs. It was gusting into upper 40s yesterday, which provided some serious speed while gybing.
Brian H wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:31 am
So ive missed a few good days lately as my 5m is to big , Ive used the 5m from 10-22 kts and find the sweet spot to be 12-16 . I'm 70 kg and ride a 120 groove skate with a 150 lift . Can I jump straight to the 3m ? Does the 3m have overlap with the 5m or will I wish I bought the 4m ?
I'd say get 3,4,5m, they are nicely spaced. The 3 and 4m are more fun than the 5m. They take a light amount of bar pressure, and will pivot turn if you're heavy handed.

Return to “Foil Kites”