Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: First impression of Gong M Pro

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 am

Tomw are you riding waves with a 90cm mast?

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:13 pm

foilholio wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:49 am
Tomw are you riding waves with a 90cm mast?
Well, waves and waves. We get wind chop and wind swell. Small knee, hip high junk. To get shoulder / head high we need 15-20ms wind and I don't venture out in that kind of wind. Sometimes I get lucky and catch tail end of a storm and get shoulder high in less wind.

A few guys here think 75 cm mast is better, they keep telling me, but considering the shit choppy messy waves we have, I don't see the point.

Ive been in Brazil and Cabarete waves, and they are bigger. In Cabarete they were head high. So choppy I still don't see advantage to 75 cm mast.

All that said, I learned on a 93 and have stuck with it.

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:22 pm

I sanded the trailing edges of front and stab with a block. Went out today again.
Now it seems worse! At over 22km/hr it's now high pitched solid scream, not a whistle. There's some whistles at certain speeds and PoS, but a lot of screaming.

It's rather irritating! It ruins the experience.
There's graphics printed on top side of wings. Should I sand and prime the entire wing ? It will ruin the resale value, but I wouldn't sell it as it is now...that would be unfair to buyer.

I don't want to sell it actually, I really like the character. If I can fix noise, I might sell my Moses.

Can anyone give me details of how to sand TE?
A sketch?

richy-c
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Gear: Ozone Moses Shinn Best

Postby richy-c » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:26 pm

TomW wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:22 pm
I sanded the trailing edges of front and stab with a block. Went out today again.
Now it seems worse! At over 22km/hr it's now high pitched solid scream, not a whistle. There's some whistles at certain speeds and PoS, but a lot of screaming.

It's rather irritating! It ruins the experience.
There's graphics printed on top side of wings. Should I sand and prime the entire wing ? It will ruin the resale value, but I wouldn't sell it as it is now...that would be unfair to buyer.

I don't want to sell it actually, I really like the character. If I can fix noise, I might sell my Moses.

Can anyone give me details of how to sand TE?
A sketch?
Tom im told by a race foil guy here in Mar Menor that there is a particular way to sand trailing edge. Its from the top edge with downward strokes towards the rear at an angle but im not sure of the angle 🙄

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:48 pm

Ok. I just researched around. On front wing I need to sand only top side and TE of TE. I did it wrong on bottom side.
On stab it was right. I'll repeat following videos.

Some videos say mast can be humming too. Anyone have that experience?

cescof
Rare Poster
Gear: gong allvator
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby cescof » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 pm

Hy and thanks for sharing your experience.. I'have M classic with 45 stab an 80 mast...last year was my first year with hydrofoil, and on my local spot everybody uses moses onda that's more smooth and faster then gong.
I'm really a newbie and at the end of summer season i was able to have a jable (without downloop) and toeside but with many problems and crash..
But after a season i feel M standard with to much friction.... do you suggest to change to M pro? same stab?
Thanks
regards

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:29 pm

Hi Tom, it is 100% the trailing edges that need to be squared. Don’t bother to sand the top of the wings or the sides of the mast. It might take 3 or 4 attempts at sanding and riding before the ringing gets cured, just keep at it

bigcane
Medium Poster

Postby bigcane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:31 pm

And yes the humming can be coming from any or all of the trailing edges both mast and wings and tip of fuse

naishdude
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Holland
Spain
Danemark
France
Favorite Beaches: everywhere at the seaside, where it is allowed to kite
Style: cruising& wave
Gear: Airush Sector 54 V5, Cypher5'8 active, compact 5'6, Compact5'5 active, Limit Waves custom 5'6
Ozone reo V5 12 9 7 5
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby naishdude » Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:39 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:14 pm
TomW wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:54 pm
Anyone have suggestions to fill torx screw heads and small gaps in parts? I think that's where the whistles originate.
I was thinking soft wax or non hardening putty of some sort.

Maybe, but I am not sure about that, I think it is something close the, or the very, trailing edge of "something".

I once had one that made noise, and I put tape on all screw heads which you can do right away, did not make any difference.

Also put tape around the joints here and there, as IF it came from there, it should at least change noise (as impossible to make a perfect fairing with tape).

Didnt change anything.

Found out it was the stab, one side of the trailing edge needed just a tad of sanding, and the noise were all gone !!!

But put tape on the screw heads Tom, then you will know right away if thats the root cause or not, without filling anything unnecessarily :thumb:

Thanks for the sizing.

So Gong M is 4.4 in AR where the Onda is 3.3 only, yes.

8) Peter
found this, maybe you aleady saw it too

viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2405247&p=1080107 ... g#p1080107

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Postby TomW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:03 pm

cescof wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:54 pm
Hy and thanks for sharing your experience.. I'have M classic with 45 stab an 80 mast...last year was my first year with hydrofoil, and on my local spot everybody uses moses onda that's more smooth and faster then gong.
I'm really a newbie and at the end of summer season i was able to have a jable (without downloop) and toeside but with many problems and crash..
But after a season i feel M standard with to much friction.... do you suggest to change to M pro? same stab?
Thanks
regards
I've not ridden the M Classic. I've been riding Moses 633 Onda 2 years on 2016 93cm mast.
The M Pro is definitely faster than 633. It's not a lot, 2-3km/hr is my guess. But it is easier to control at speed, and can be pushed to speed and to windward more aggressively.
It has same stability, and agility is slightly better IMO. It has different/better feeling when doing S carves. It feels like it has more drive thru carves.

Now all these things are subtle, a beginner who is still working on flying transitions and generally learning to fly and not crash, will not notice these differences.

If you are happy with the M Classic, besides speed, then I would stick with it until you learn flying gybes and foot switches in both directions, on a 90 cm mast. Then you'll be able to enjoy benefits of an upgrade.

The Moses is smooth and totally silent out of the box, is light and floats on its side. It's a great foil, you can't go wrong with it.

The Moses is a more fragile foil. This I know because I dropped the MPro on my concrete floor and all it did was chip the paint.The Moses would have needed surgery. Ive never felt Moses are not durable enough, they are light and made to be handled with some care, but M Pro is heavier and built to be more durable. The manufacturer made the trade off choice.

One thing that is concerning is the choice Gong makes to deliver the foil un-tuned and making noise. Sure, I can sand it and tune it and get it right. But I have a shop, build boards and know how to use the tools. They have chosen to make it safer, with dull edges. But frankly, foiling is dangerous regardless of sharp edge on TE of the wings. If it was a question of Speed, then ok. But the foil is really noisy.

Return to “Hydrofoil”