Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Injury in the hand, first sesion foiling! Just be aware!

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
jyka
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 85
Local Beach: laru
Style: freestyle
Gear: mixed set

Re: Injury in the hand, first sesion foiling! Just be aware!

Postby jyka » Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:53 am

I have cuts on my wetsuit, and I bet they came from sharp foil edges. Better to cut neoprene than skin.. a good side of having cold water :D
What foil you have? Some have very sharp trailing edges. At least aluminium mast edges can be honed. I don't care about extreme fast foil (with sharp edges), better to have a little slower and safer gear.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:58 am

so what board and foil did you end up buying after you posted for advice on which set to buy?

like others have said cover up completely when learning, but maintain flexibility so you can get out of the way or bend easily to get your balance. helmet is top priority,
full leg, foot and ankle protection, and blunt your trailing edges, test the sharp and pointy bits, round off the pointy bits, they are not needed.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm

Yep. I had to stitch my wetsuit back together after about my first (or early) session. I was on a second hand set and there was a sharp jagged edge on the corner of the front wing. Bit of epoxy on that corner afterwards helped put my mind to rest.

It still hurts when you fall on a blunt wing though. Best not to fall badly if you can help it. I think Bracarru did a video on how to crash on a foil and posted it on the forum here a couple of years ago.

plummet
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: EE
Favorite Beaches: NZ
Style: Terrain riding
Gear: Old wornout ozone.
Plummet hydrofoil and mutant

Postby plummet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:27 pm

Can you share pictures of your foil set up.
I made mine with no sharp edges for the express purpose of not injuring myself as easily if contacting the foil.

cwood
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Southern Ontario
Gear: Flysurfer
Moses Hydrofoil
Brand Affiliation: Moses, Flysurfer

Postby cwood » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:40 pm

Bad luck. I have many hundreds of hours foiling, much are the sharpest of race wings and never even a nick. I expect that some day it will happen, that's why I wear a helmet and wetsuit most of the time. I see people with no helmets and think they are insane, not for head injury but from blunt strikes or sharp strikes that will definitely open you up.

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:10 pm

heisenberg135 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 pm
If I put my wetsuits gloves I can avoid this? I am a little afraid about learn foil... Will seeee
Gloves are the 2nd step.
First sand all 4 super sharp wing tips round to a radius of 1-2 cm. Then maybe also make all 4 trailing edges a bit less sharp but not round but square, you find many "how to does" here.
Then 2nd step additionaly wear gloves, shoes and full neopren, also an helmet that also protects face as far as possible is not bad.
And most important go in super easy super flat (wave less) constant 12-15 knts conditions and first just try to ride on the ground with your weight forward as allready been said. Just if feeling super save riding on the ground in all direction start with little flight hops.
plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:27 pm
Can you share pictures of your foil set up. ...
Looking at an older discussion viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2405242&p=1080772#p1080772
and his hand I would expect he has gone for the sh..ty old gong allvator kite wings, which look like this:

In the picture I already cutted and sanded the frontwings as pointy tips, especially on such a basic foil, are of no use, but the backwing was still as pointy as new, when I solded it for 200€ :

@heisenberg135:
And if you indeed bought that old gong allvator kite foil and you start flying and getting a bit faster, you may let somebody drill two holes into stab as you see in the picture to add a kiteboard fin to get at least a bit stability into it. (When a friend tried mine without fin, he gives it immediately back and said, that he prefers to go with his stable mono :wink: )

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite

Postby jakemoore » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 pm

foilholio wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:06 am
Messy stitching.
Looks to me like the sutures are placed orthogonal to the the wound which is not straight and spaced appropriately to approximate landmarks in the incision. There is enough tension to approximate the edges of the wound and no more. I would have probably chosen polypropylene or nylon over silk but that is a personal preference that could be trumped by availability. I'm guessing it will look great in 3 months.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
heisenberg135 (Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:24 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

heisenberg135
Rare Poster
Gear: North Evo 2010 12m
North evo 2010 8M

Xenon laluz 2015
Been thanked: 0

Postby heisenberg135 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:19 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:49 pm
Yep. I had to stitch my wetsuit back together after about my first (or early) session. I was on a second hand set and there was a sharp jagged edge on the corner of the front wing. Bit of epoxy on that corner afterwards helped put my mind to rest.

It still hurts when you fall on a blunt wing though. Best not to fall badly if you can help it. I think Bracarru did a video on how to crash on a foil and posted it on the forum here a couple of years ago.
Yes!:

heisenberg135
Rare Poster
North evo 2010 8M

Xenon laluz 2015

Postby heisenberg135 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:23 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:10 pm
heisenberg135 wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:19 pm
If I put my wetsuits gloves I can avoid this? I am a little afraid about learn foil... Will seeee
Gloves are the 2nd step.
First sand all 4 super sharp wing tips round to a radius of 1-2 cm. Then maybe also make all 4 trailing edges a bit less sharp but not round but square, you find many "how to does" here.
Then 2nd step additionaly wear gloves, shoes and full neopren, also an helmet that also protects face as far as possible is not bad.
And most important go in super easy super flat (wave less) constant 12-15 knts conditions and first just try to ride on the ground with your weight forward as allready been said. Just if feeling super save riding on the ground in all direction start with little flight hops.
plummet wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:27 pm
Can you share pictures of your foil set up. ...
Looking at an older discussion viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2405242&p=1080772#p1080772
and his hand I would expect he has gone for the sh..ty old gong allvator kite wings, which look like this:

In the picture I already cutted and sanded the frontwings as pointy tips, especially on such a basic foil, are of no use, but the backwing was still as pointy as new, when I solded it for 200€ :

@heisenberg135:
And if you indeed bought that old gong allvator kite foil and you start flying and getting a bit faster, you may let somebody drill two holes into stab as you see in the picture to add a kiteboard fin to get at least a bit stability into it. (When a friend tried mine without fin, he gives it immediately back and said, that he prefers to go with his stable mono :wink: )

Yes, finally I Bought the gong:

But yes is shaped, i dont know how to do, I am thinkg also in sell at the same price (450 eu) and dont lear foil.. I was kiting more than 4 years, I jump more than 12m, I mean, I know to kite.... But this injury in the kneck And I am dead....

I don't know, At this moment I want to be recorvered and then I decide.... I am agree with u that is very sharp... I just fall off to the foil and saw this...

Even if is bad for learning all the "cheap" hidros are sharp... I dont know

heisenberg135
Rare Poster
North evo 2010 8M

Xenon laluz 2015

Postby heisenberg135 » Wed Jan 08, 2020 6:25 pm

jakemoore wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:17 pm
foilholio wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:06 am
Messy stitching.
Looks to me like the sutures are placed orthogonal to the the wound which is not straight and spaced appropriately to approximate landmarks in the incision. There is enough tension to approximate the edges of the wound and no more. I would have probably chosen polypropylene or nylon over silk but that is a personal preference that could be trumped by availability. I'm guessing it will look great in 3 months.

I hope so, I am not a nurse, but to me seems also "Messy stitching" But if you said that "ok" perfect then!...

This dais I am blooding a little bit because i cant stop to work, but is healing well, At least is not infected!!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”