Moses vs. Levitaz

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
kitegirls
Medium Poster
Gear: North Kites and Click Bar.
Brand Affiliation: None

Moses vs. Levitaz

Postby kitegirls » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:49 am

What do you think? Have you ridden both?

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Re: Moses vs. Levitaz

Postby Horst Sergio » Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:27 pm

What do I think?
What is the question?

Without a question you can write miles here, to start it:
You can buy both without worries. I use mostly and own Levitaz, but also from time to time tried many different moses setups.
Moses is a bit lower price. Levitaz has a bit faster wings in general and I think is better for boosting and jumping, which does not mean you can't boost also very well with Moses Race foils.
Moses is older and has more wings but a few limits in compatibility, requireing extra parts as fuselage. Levitaz has a more clean wing range, fully compatible with less overlap inbetween wings.
Better ask a question what you are exactly interested in.

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:28 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 2:27 pm
What do I think?
What is the question?

Without a question you can write miles here, to start it:
You can buy both without worries. I use mostly and own Levitaz, but also from time to time tried many different moses setups.
Moses is a bit lower price. Levitaz has a bit faster wings in general and I think is better for boosting and jumping, which does not mean you can't boost also very well with Moses Race foils.
Moses is older and has more wings but a few limits in compatibility, requireing extra parts as fuselage. Levitaz has a more clean wing range, fully compatible with less overlap inbetween wings.
Better ask a question what you are exactly interested in.
Which is the better as far as build quality, user friendliness, beginner friendliness? I know Moses uses a foam core wrapped in carbon and Levitaz is pure carbon. Does this affect quality, ride, durability? And also does one or the other stand behind their foil better / have better warranty etc?

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:24 pm

I bought a well used Levitaz Bionic foil, used it a couple of times and found a crack in the main wing. Contacted Levitaz, they sent me a new wing at no cost.
Great service
No need to ever disassemble a Levitaz, nothing to corroded. Heavier than a Moses due to the stainless fuselage but this isn’t noticeable on the water.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:32 pm

I’m riding Moses most of time and I liked in Levitaz
- modularity, no need for a separate fuselage for a lager wing
- arrowhead-shaped, swept back wings and stabilizers shedding seaweed easier

On Moses I like:
- wider choice of wings and masts
- lower price especially when it goes rebranded as home brand
- simpler and “cleaner” setup than Levitaz

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 pm

Agree with Horst, you have to be a lot more specific, when asking about which could fit.

What do you weigh, how do you ride, can you make transitions or not, on the surface maybe.

Do you like to and want to ride fast or jump, or do you want to play around slow, or do you want to ride waves, small or big.

Do you ride with or without straps, do you ride in higher winds or lower winds or everything?

If you dont know, pick the one which you find is the prettiest - not joking, as you have to find out yourself what you prefer in the long run :thumb:

8) Peter

kitegirls
Medium Poster

Postby kitegirls » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 pm
Agree with Horst, you have to be a lot more specific, when asking about which could fit.

What do you weigh, how do you ride, can you make transitions or not, on the surface maybe.

Do you like to and want to ride fast or jump, or do you want to play around slow, or do you want to ride waves, small or big.

Do you ride with or without straps, do you ride in higher winds or lower winds or everything?

If you dont know, pick the one which you find is the prettiest - not joking, as you have to find out yourself what you prefer in the long run :thumb:

8) Peter
Foil would be used by both a 115 to 120 pound rider and a 170 to 175 pound rider. Both have about 1 to 2 months water time on a Cabrinha Double Agent beginner foil with an 85cm mast. No foot switches yet and more than likely will be 90% toe-side riding rather than foot switching. Both are beginning transitions / turns with about 10% to 20% success on foil and 20% to 30% success on the water with the heavy aluminum Cabrinha foil.

Primary application will be 50% surf in 3 to 6 foot waves and 50% freeride without much jumping. So speed is not so necessary. No racing. So bottom end and surf is primary goal rather than top end speed and jumps etc.

One rider is strapless and the other uses only single front strap or hook to water start only.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 pm

Thanks, that helps a lot :thumb:

So you want to buy 2 wings I assume, with such a big weight difference.

Around 800 cm2 and 1200 cm2 maybe, for these weights, or something around this - can be used by less experienced learning things, in light winds, and for waves and fun in general no matter how good you are.

Choose the foil you find looks the best if price does not matter, and if price matters go for the cheapest, they all work :D

You will probably need spare parts/masts and new wings also, in particular when you are 2 and only one foil, so you could also choose the one which is easiest available at your location.

8) Peter

Horst Sergio
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: kitejunkie.com

Account abandoned

Postby Horst Sergio » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 pm
Not knowing their way to share foil but, I would expect that they are not going to switch wings for effort, so I would go for a compromise which is for both:
- Levitaz Cruizer 1000 cm² thin and faster, with a 80 or 96 cm strut or (bit better for the lighter rider)
- Moses Onda 1250 cm² thicker and slower, with a 90 cm strut. (bit better for the heavier rider)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:39 pm

Horst Sergio wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:34 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 10:12 pm
Not knowing their way to share foil but, I would expect that they are not going to switch wings for effort, so I would go for a compromise which is for both:
- Levitaz Cruizer 1000 cm² thin and faster, with a 80 or 96 cm strut or (bit better for the lighter rider)
- Moses Onda 1250 cm² thicker and slower, with a 90 cm strut. (bit better for the heavier rider)

Something around a 1000 cm2 would be a good compromise, agree :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”