jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Small pocket board - looking for recommendation/advice

Postby jkrug » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:08 pm

that 120cm Axis board looks really wide, and at about 20.5", it is. why would they make such a wide board? also, is there any rocker to it? looks flat but they don't show the rocker anywhere. not trying to be negative, just asking questions as i'm in market for a lighter better board than i have, and riding thru touchdowns is critical to me.

thewindego
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Wolfe Island
Gear: core and windego boards

Postby thewindego » Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 pm

At then end he flips the 120 up to get a glimpse of the rocker.
Attachments
rocker.JPG
rocker.JPG (20.38 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:47 pm

thewindego wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:01 pm
At then end he flips the 120 up to get a glimpse of the rocker.

That looks like a "perfect" rocker and size for average weights, in particular the aggressive nose scoop - love that :thumb:

8) Peter

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 pm

I'm riding the 94 axis tray, it is a delight. very light, lovely deck pad. Have ridden 110 and 125 too. Sweet boards

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jan 09, 2020 3:08 pm

jkrug wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:08 pm
that 120cm Axis board looks really wide, and at about 20.5", it is. why would they make such a wide board? also, is there any rocker to it? looks flat but they don't show the rocker anywhere. not trying to be negative, just asking questions as i'm in market for a lighter better board than i have, and riding thru touchdowns is critical to me.

This is the downside with too short boards where your front foot is close to the nose :roll:

Fun and light, but some bad downsides also...

If you have a good strong rocker, it will be a lot easier to start, and survive touchdowns - thats the good thing.

But you will also get a horrible stance, where your front foot is higher than the rear, meaning you have to ride with back leg straight and front leg bent - this is REALLY annoying and tiresome, as I've tried this a lot when testing different trim settings and angles and rockerlines on supersmall foilboards.

So you have to decide whether you want a good comfortable ride once up, both legs straight or bent the same, or if you want a board that handles touchdowns better without crashing nose down violently.

One could think that something in between might be the best, but I am not so sure anymore, as then you have downsides from both, horrible starts and touchdowns, and uncomfortable stance :-?

With a tad longer boards, for most this is around 110-120 cm I believe, you can have both, when having aggressive nose scoop, meaning the rocker curve starts just at and goes up and up in front of your front foot position (called nose scoop).

This way it can handle touchdowns, jump landings, waves, and waterstarts perfectly - and at the same time perfect relaxed even stance - you get it all in one so to speak.

Very individual I would think, some might find this uncomfy uneven stance okay, others will live with explosion crashes if they touch down but then have the very best stance so you can ride for hours and hours.

I hope it is clear what I mean, otherwise I could make a simple drawing illustrating.

Has always been a paradox with supersmall boards, and why I mostly avoid riding these.

If you have a super narrow stance, you can simply tilt the board angle a bit up, and you wont have as crooked a stance.
If you hardly never touch down, go for the most comfortable stance instead, board more flat that is.
If you like me are a mere mortal sometimes touching down, often in new transitions, or crashing, a tad longer board only gives you advantages as you can have the best of both above issues :rollgrin:

8) Peter

jkrug
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 200 lbs
Gear: stuff

Postby jkrug » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:53 pm

Jugglajon wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 pm
I'm riding the 94 axis tray, it is a delight. very light, lovely deck pad. Have ridden 110 and 125 too. Sweet boards
did the width of the 125 bother you?

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:44 am

Smaller boards I believe are easier to get up on foil and easier to balance on foil and quicker to maneuver on foil.

I guess I would be reluctant to have a 37” board as my only board since I am always testing the lower end of things on my 42” board.

The axis 94 rocker looks fine to me and a lot like the kanaha shapes 37”. Since there is a bit of width in the shapes they might plane up a bit more than you would expect.

That goes back to some of the original TT shapes Adrian Roper designed 15+ years ago.

I like the foil tracks in such a small board.

C189CA10-2047-473F-A35A-F149ABA41AD4.jpeg
70B97F0D-8EF9-4CED-B5CA-FF18D073FD80.jpeg

Jugglajon
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 100 Pies
Local Beach: Holbox, or wherever I end up.
Favorite Beaches: Clee, Lytham, Holbox, Kappalady, Vella Island, Alankuda, Keros, Long Bay - Turks and Caicos, Rawai, OBX
Style: Foil, surf, freerace, ski, landboard
Gear: Axis Tray 94cm -MIA
Axis 545-MIA, 660 and 1000
Axis 96cm mast -MIA
Moses 633/483 and diy pocket board with C72 mast.
18m Slingshot Phantom
9m Core X Lite
7m Edge V8
6m HK Fury Pro
Axis 136 limited
Airush Sector V3 60
Brand Affiliation: Holbox Kiteboarding school manager

Postby Jugglajon » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm

jkrug wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:53 pm
Jugglajon wrote:
No, the width and flat rear rocker gives a lot of support when touching down or not starting of directly onto the foil. The nose rocker certainly helps too.
Width wasn't a negative issue in other respects. A really well finished board and very light.
The 94 and 110 are also surprisingly forgiving in comparison to the Axis Kink 105 which is a board I rode for a long time. My girlfriend wanted a bigger board for the extra security during touch downs but tried the 110 and has been happily convinced ever since.
These users thanked the author Jugglajon for the post:
jkrug (Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:48 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:06 pm

Jugglajon wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:22 pm
jkrug wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:53 pm
Jugglajon wrote:
No, the width and flat rear rocker gives a lot of support when touching down or not starting of directly onto the foil. The nose rocker certainly helps too.
Width wasn't a negative issue in other respects. A really well finished board and very light.
The 94 and 110 are also surprisingly forgiving in comparison to the Axis Kink 105 which is a board I rode for a long time. My girlfriend wanted a bigger board for the extra security during touch downs but tried the 110 and has been happily convinced ever since.
I have the 94 on pre order and was worried about the width so I appreciate the question and answer thanks guys.

My carbonco Nang is 42cm wide & the tray is 48cm.. big jump.

Incidentally Peter Frank the Nang doesn't have aggressive nose scoop, feet ride at same height, and after a very short while you simply stop tripping over the nose, you adapt. Maybe you should try one to solve your conundrum.
These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post:
Jugglajon (Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:58 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:41 pm

You are rigth Oldman_Dave, short flat boards one can get used to of course.

Its just, my level isnt sufficiently high, and besides this, I see no advantages whatsoever when going shorter than say 110 cm or something, for the average sized, so not my preference.
In short, WHY?

Personal as said, what one prefers.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
TomW (Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:48 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”