Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:28 am

Gunnar and kitenight11, if its a std mp4 file, the program for leveling could be used for ALL mp4 video files from any cam with same resolution.

Or is it a different mp4 file from the Hero 8 (or Max when leveling turned off), which contains additional data so only this file can be leveled afterwards via software?

Havent found much or any info in the reviews, regarding this...

The principle is great kitenight11, because when you do it afterwards, you dont lose picture quality in the frame rates for captures, no cropping in the raw mp4 video :thumb:
- and if you want to make video also, you can autolevel it meaning a bit of crop, but so what, smooth video where quality isnt much or any issue, compared to pictures.

But can it level all mp4 files, with same resolution, or???

Trying to understand how it works and which options you got :D

8) Peter

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:39 am

mr_daruman wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:57 am
Man am I the only to think that this new gopro 6, 7, 8 design is a piece of s###? Recording image quality is great, Im talking about the body design, interface and toughness.
However you clean it salt and water gets in and the doors jam after a month. The camera freezes/overheats. That god damm awfull touchscreen menu drives me nuts.
This camera is definitely NOT sea sports friendly.
I totally agree with you. I switched to the DJI Osmo Action for all those reasons and the hydrophobic lenses and screens. Never had the Osmo freeze or crash on me since I had it. I have high hopes for the Insta360 1R. If it works as advertised it will replace my Max, Osmo Action and Osmo Pocket. Fingers crossed.

--
Gunnar

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:00 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:28 am
Gunnar and kitenight11, if its a std mp4 file, the program for leveling could be used for ALL mp4 video files from any cam with same resolution.

Or is it a different mp4 file from the Hero 8 (or Max when leveling turned off), which contains additional data so only this file can be leveled afterwards via software?

Havent found much or any info in the reviews, regarding this...

The principle is great kitenight11, because when you do it afterwards, you dont lose picture quality in the frame rates for captures, no cropping in the raw mp4 video :thumb:
- and if you want to make video also, you can autolevel it meaning a bit of crop, but so what, smooth video where quality isnt much or any issue, compared to pictures.

But can it level all mp4 files, with same resolution, or???

Trying to understand how it works and which options you got :D

8) Peter
Hi Peter,

I think you misunderstood. So here more clear:

Max: Has Auto Leveling "in Camera". It works as if you have a Gymbal. The file you get is already stabilised and needs no extra work. Horizon leveling works only in 1080p Resolution, but in all angles (Super Wide to Zoomed)

Hero 8 Black: No "in Camera" leveling. The app levels the horizon using the Gyro data. You do not get an stabilised file straight out of the camera. The Stabilisation will crop a large amount of field of view. You basically only get Linear view angle. The apps can also NOT level any mp4 files. It needs the gyro data from the camera.

Regarding all stabilisation done in Post. You will always loose resolution, as you need to zoom/crop when the footage turns. So 4K raw footage crops just under 1080p (full 1080 still shows some black corners). Now combine this with the onboard stabilisation of the Hero 8 Black and you loose even more Field of view. Basically you end up with a 720p Video.

Now on the Max you also only get 1080p, but it is stabilised and at full field of view without cropping.

--
Gunnar

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 pm

Thanks Gunnar, but I think I got it right, before my last post, having checked just prior.

The Max can do auto leveling "In camera" yes.
But one can also set the Max up for post auto leveling (a detailed review said at least)

Whereas the Hero 8 can only be done post, yes.

That much is clear - but what you said makes sense, and was my question:
The Hero 8 (and apparently also the Max if set up for post sw leveling) has gyro data in the datastream, so it can be done post, and ONLY on this (these) cams then :naughty:

Not sure I understand if one can disable these data (via motion steadiness maybe), or are they always present?
As if a signficant part of the bitrate, it will decrease picture/video quality.

If only a few percent it does not matter though :D

I like the Hero 8 has 4K in the 4:3 mode now (the only one I use), as earlier it was 2.7K in this mode.

So maybe the 8 will still be just as good, or better in picture quality than the Hero 6 and 7?

Have to dive deeper into the specs and tests, maybe reading the user manuals before asking :rollgrin:

8) Peter

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:16 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:58 pm
Thanks Gunnar, but I think I got it right, before my last post, having checked just prior.

The Max can do auto leveling "In camera" yes.
But one can also set the Max up for post auto leveling (a detailed review said at least)

Whereas the Hero 8 can only be done post, yes.

That much is clear - but what you said makes sense, and was my question:
The Hero 8 (and apparently also the Max if set up for post sw leveling) has gyro data in the datastream, so it can be done post, and ONLY on this (these) cams then :naughty:

Not sure I understand if one can disable these data (via motion steadiness maybe), or are they always present?
As if a signficant part of the bitrate, it will decrease picture/video quality.

If only a few percent it does not matter though :D

I like the Hero 8 has 4K in the 4:3 mode now (the only one I use), as earlier it was 2.7K in this mode.

So maybe the 8 will still be just as good, or better in picture quality than the Hero 6 and 7?

Have to dive deeper into the specs and tests, maybe reading the user manuals before asking :rollgrin:

8) Peter
The Gyro and GPS Data are stored seperatly in a different file on the card. They are not embedded in the raw video file.

--
Gunnar
These users thanked the author gmb13 for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sat Jan 11, 2020 8:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:20 am

Was convinced about the Hero 8 being the better tool for me, having looked at video and still comparisons, and checked the stabilisation options.

Horizon leveling as a post option would be great, as a post rendering because then I dont lose quality in captured pictures from video, or video from the original mp4 file, and can make videos with or without leveling if I want, all 3 options are present :thumb:

But can you get the GoPro horizon leveling (app) for a computer???

If only for mobile phones it is pretty useless...

Can find a Quik Desktop program on the GoPro site, but it doesnt say anything about auto leveling and the export abilities (formats) so one can make video in a high end editor, or at least your "normal" video editor.

Assume it is available for both PC's and Mac's but can anyone confirm this, or know WHERE?

8) Peter

kitenight11
Medium Poster
Gear: North
Has thanked: 0

Postby kitenight11 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 12:55 am

Leveling is only for app (tablet or phone) - output can be edited in every software.
If you record in 4k and 100mb/s with 4/3 aspect you get after leveling way more than 1080 (if I remember correct, mine was something like 1456). It depends of the rotation degree and. If you do full kiteloops, it crops more than only sinus turns.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:38 am

Thanks, the whole idea and setup sounds perfect :thumb:

A shame leveling can only be done with small devices, and not in laptops/computers :(

Transferring all the 4 GB files to a mobile, and from the mobile to a computer for editing afterwards, each time, is a big turnoff and extremely time consuming :(
If the only way, one could say "What were they thinking?"

Hope this can be solved, will keep my existing cams till something better or a solution on this issue comes one day...

Could a workaround be using a computer android emulator and run the app :roll:
Does anyone know, have tried?

8) Peter

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:11 am

To me it’s not a big turn-off; with big screen ipad the editing is actually very good, esp. with Max where you need to zoom in/out and rotate the view in 360 mode. I don’t miss pc that much. And without pc the editing is quicker due to a bit more limited editing options. It is a bit of a downside, but not a deal killer.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster

Postby gmb13 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:41 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:38 am
Thanks, the whole idea and setup sounds perfect :thumb:

A shame leveling can only be done with small devices, and not in laptops/computers :(

Transferring all the 4 GB files to a mobile, and from the mobile to a computer for editing afterwards, each time, is a big turnoff and extremely time consuming :(
If the only way, one could say "What were they thinking?"

Hope this can be solved, will keep my existing cams till something better or a solution on this issue comes one day...

Could a workaround be using a computer android emulator and run the app :roll:
Does anyone know, have tried?

8) Peter
If you want to do everything in post, the Max is also better. You have the app for the computer and FCPX and Premiere can reframe. And remember you don't loose resolution with the Max in 360 mode. You don't need to copy the entire files across for that.

But I get the feeling that you are stuck on the Go Pro 8 no matter what people tell you 😅.

--
Gunnar

Return to “Kitesurfing”