Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Forum for kitesurfers
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: GoPro Hero 8 about to release?

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:46 pm

Ha haa, it might seem like that Gunnar, but no, not biased towards either of these...

You would prefer the Max, as you probably make videos mostly, or only, thats clear, and I would too if video was my preference, we agree.

But I mostly go for making pictures captured from video, only a few videos, and Hero 8 seems a lot better for this.

Max has 1440p resolution in 4:3 video when the same field of view (one side only)
Whereas the Hero 8 got 4K now.

When you crop the view even further for a picture, resolution is of utmost importance, and more than 4 times higher pixel resolution than the Max :thumb:

The video quality in itself, as video, is just as good on the Max from what I've seen now, true, well in fact I find the Max got a tad better colours when looking at the different test videos.

And if you use it for video, the fact in can level in the cam, instead of post, is a huge benefit :D

But for captured pictures, also the Max should run without the in-cam horizon levelling, for highest picture quality - so for my use I would have to do it afterwards on both cams, If I want level video.

With that in mind, it does not make much sense to go from 12 million pixels down to 2.7 million in resolution, and reducing the bitrate almost 30% also, going from 100 Mbit to 78 (Hero 8 and Max).

Unless the quality is a lot higher on the Max of course, as the numbers in itself is only part of the truth always - so here all the comparisons put out public is great, and one can see the video looks pretty much the same, thus for picture captures the 4 times higher resolution is a benefit.

The right tool for the job is what I seek - so as pretty even in video, and resolution higher and physical size also 20 % smaller and lighter, the Hero 8 seems to do it better for pictures.

Whereas for video (only if you dont need 360 of course) it is pretty even, thus having the option to level in cam, AND have 360 view on occasion too, makes the Max a lot better for video.

IMO after having looked deeper into these now.

It all depends on your use and preferences :D

8) Peter

PS: Regarding the post horizon leveling app, I could get a tablet just for this, before passing it to the computer, but sounds a bit silly :roll:

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Jan 12, 2020 6:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:46 pm
Ha haa, it might seem like that Gunnar, but no, not biased towards either of these...

You would prefer the Max, as you probably make videos mostly, or only, thats clear, and I would too if video was my preference, we agree.

But I mostly go for making pictures captured from video, only a few videos, and Hero 8 seems a lot better for this.

Max has 1440p resolution in 4:3 video when the same field of view (one side only)
Whereas the Hero 8 got 4K now.

When you crop the view even further for a picture, resolution is of utmost importance, and more than 4 times higher pixel resolution than the Max :thumb:

The video quality in itself, as video, is just as good on the Max from what I've seen now, true, well in fact I find the Max got a tad better colours when looking at the different test videos.

And if you use it for video, the fact in can level in the cam, instead of post, is a huge benefit :D

But for captured pictures, also the Max should run without the in-cam horizon levelling, for highest picture quality - so for my use I would have to do it afterwards on both cams, If I want level video.

With that in mind, it does not make much sense to go from 12 million pixels down to 2.7 million in resolution, and reducing the bitrate almost 30% also, going from 100 Mbit to 78 (Hero 8 and Max).

Unless the quality is a lot higher on the Max of course, as the numbers in itself is only part of the truth always - so here all the comparisons put out public is great, and one can see the video looks pretty much the same, thus for picture captures the 4 times higher resolution is a benefit.

The right tool for the job is what I seek - so as pretty even in video, and resolution higher and physical size also 20 % smaller and lighter, the Hero 8 seems to do it better for pictures.

Whereas for video (only if you dont need 360 of course) it is pretty even, thus having the option to level in cam, AND have 360 view on occasion too, makes the Max a lot better for video.

IMO after having looked deeper into these now.

It all depends on your use and preferences :D

8) Peter

PS: Regarding the post horizon leveling app, I could get a tablet just for this, before passing it to the computer, but sounds a bit silly :roll:

Ok . If you are only about capturing stills from Video, then yes, the Hero 8 is better. However what you probably really want the is the Insta360 R1 with the 1-Inch Sensor Module with 5.7K and probably better reliability than the Go Pro.

--
Gunnar

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 am

[/quote]

Ok . If you are only about capturing stills from Video, then yes, the Hero 8 is better. However what you probably really want the is the Insta360 R1 with the 1-Inch Sensor Module with 5.7K and probably better reliability than the Go Pro.

--
Gunnar
[/quote]

Gunar,

Have you received and used your Insta360 R1 yet? Any thoughts?

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:15 am

CARMELHILL wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:30 am

--
Gunnar
[/quote]

Gunar,

Have you received and used your Insta360 R1 yet? Any thoughts?
[/quote]

Not yet. It should ship on the 19th :-)

--
Gunnar

CARMELHILL
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 165 pounds
Local Beach: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Favorite Beaches: New Smyrna Beach, FL
Ponce Inlet
Apollo Beach
Style: Mostly twintip, starting foiling
Gear: Ozone Hyperlink V1 - 7m and 12m (2018)
Cabrinha Switchblade 14 (2017)
Pansh A15 - 15m
Switch x4 bar (2018)
Best Float 33 (2006), Cabrinha Prodigy 158 for light wind (2005)
Slingshot Alienair 2019 with Naish WS1 (2018)

Postby CARMELHILL » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:34 pm

[/quote]
Not yet. It should ship on the 19th :-)
Gunnar
[/quote]

I'll keep my eyes open for your review. These smaller companies come up with great ideas, but they don't have the finances to back up their products. The Quark seemed like a great idea but their customer service is crap. I also don't like to buy a product that isn't on a single store shelf anywhere, and can only be bought online (Rylo). I personally try to stick with the big names like GoPro and DJI that are on the store shelves, but you have to give the newcomers a chance to innovate.

Digdawg
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Snowkite:
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Favorite Beaches: Key West
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
Style: Freeride
Gear: Ocean Rodeo
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Sun Jan 19, 2020 5:14 am

I've got a video with the Hero 8 before and after leveling that I was going to throw up here but I'm not sure how...? Suggestions?

Digdawg
Medium Poster
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Mon Jan 20, 2020 12:24 am

Video comparison of raw and horizon leveled video GoPro Hero 8 on line-mount.

Considering how violent the movement was on the reverse launch I was pretty impressed. It is a bit of a pain to move videos clips back and forth from phone app, which is the only way to accomplish horizon leveling. But once the video is there it is one simple click of a button.

Wasn't willing to do anything too fancy with kite - lake was frozen hard with very little snow cover on it... :-o
These users thanked the author Digdawg for the post:
Peter_Frank (Mon Jan 20, 2020 7:17 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 20, 2020 2:57 pm

Amazing, looks like it can handle leveling really well, because it uses additional gyro data, thanks for the video :thumb:

A shame like you say, you have to move each 4 Gb file to your phone to level, one at a time, and back out to your computer for editing.

It takes forever, cumbersome too, as it is two full times data transfers "extra" to no use, before move it to your editing computer :(

Hope this can be solved by GoPro (software), then it could be really really useful indeed, IMO the perfect cam (for my use at least) as you get max quality and resolution, and can use stabilisation afterwards if desired :naughty:

8) Peter

Digdawg
Medium Poster
Lemon Reservoir, Durango
Rito Hondo, Creede
Outer Banks
CorpUs Christi
- Aluula Flite 17m
- Flite 12m, 14.5m & 17m
- Crave 12m
- Mako 150 & 160
Ozone
- 14m
Epic
- Renegade 7m
Slingshot
- Crisis 140
Crazyfly
- LW 154
Ride Engine Harness

Postby Digdawg » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:09 pm

The video was shot in 1440, 60 fps. Also tried it 1080 narrow, wide and superwide - it is too close, it crops your head or feet depending on kite rotation. Could use 2.7K 4:3 or 4K 4:3 for better resolution, and could move line mount a little further up the lines. When we get some more wind and I get out next I want to grab some video with the camera mounted on the strut and see how that comes out.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:32 pm

Digdawg wrote:
Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:09 pm
The video was shot in 1440, 60 fps. Also tried it 1080 narrow, wide and superwide - it is too close, it crops your head or feet depending on kite rotation. Could use 2.7K 4:3 or 4K 4:3 for better resolution, and could move line mount a little further up the lines. When we get some more wind and I get out next I want to grab some video with the camera mounted on the strut and see how that comes out.

True, I always use 4:3 in linear, but GoPro 6 and 7 only had 2.7K, now it is 4K so could be even better.

My split is at least 5 meters up though, which gives a pretty perfect shot for water-surf-use, too close if a low V yes, especially when it gets cropped.

Wide or superwide could be used if one KNOWS beforehand it has to be leveled video and not captured pictures, yes, as the cropping means the distorted edges will be cut away, as the inner area is pretty linear in itself, when cropped.

8) Peter

Return to “Kitesurfing”