Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Small Carry Strap for board after self rescue?

Forum for kitesurfers
norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Small Carry Strap for board after self rescue?

Postby norcom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:48 am

Could someone recommend a small harness, rope, strap or tricks to carry a board and foil a long distance easily? Had a self rescue yesterday when the wind die and had to walk with my board, foil and kite a longer distance than usual.

I’m thinking of something that could easily attach to the harness and unravel. Perhaps to create a backpack like harness from a rope?
Or something like this rope trick to carry a pot; except for a board to carry on ones back and shoulders?
https://external-preview.redd.it/nfgbGQ ... 401bec2427

I don’t want to bring anything bulky with me for this. Putting the foil on my shoulder to carry it doesn’t make this any easier. In retrospect I probably should have wrapped the kite and bar inside my harness attached it to the mast and used both hands to carry everything. Maybe next time I’ll try that.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Small Carry Strap for board after self rescue?

Postby OzBungy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 7:53 am

How far are you expecting to walk? My record is 3km. That was across a few car parks and around fences and stuff so everything needed to be packed.

For that one I rolled the bar inside the kite, wrapped my short leash around the rolled kite, hooked the leash on my spreader. That left my arms free to carry my foil with both arms, and I could rest the board on the bundle of the kite.

For shorter walks, just along the beach, I hook the leash into the pump loop and drape it up over my shoulder. The kite sits on my shoulder and flies in the breeze and is supported by my shoulder. I just carry my board under my arm with the bar stuffed into the foot strap.

I once did that walk with a SUP foil board and a 12m kite.

I have to admit that I use a J Shapes full carbon foil kit. It weighs nothing. I can carry the fully assembled kit under one arm and it feels like carrying a normal surfboard. I feel sorry for people who have to wrestle with other gear.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Foil » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:42 am

i do agree that if you use aluminum masts over 70cm and composite material wings, then carrying the board, even with the mast resting over your back or balanced on your shoulder is a right pain,
a few times on my long trek to my low tide lagoon was annoyingly distracting when I was using a relatively short 82 cm, but heavy, aluminium mast, I was so glad when Moses came out with the 82cm carbon mast,
my only suggestion that worked for me on one long walk back when tired out and in hot weather, was to roll up the kite nice and small and use it as a thick shoulder pad for resting the mast on, balanced over my shoulder, with one hand resting on the front wing for stability, with the bar/lines stuffed tightly into the footstraps, worked a treat.
still completely shattered by the time I bact back to the car park, but never had to put the board down for a rest on the walk back

foilholio
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Ventura Beach
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Foils

Postby foilholio » Mon Jan 13, 2020 2:33 pm

Rest your mast on your harness.

norcom
Very Frequent Poster
Style: waves
Gear: Too much to list these days. Currently mostly a v3 Cabo's and Spleene Zone fan

Postby norcom » Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:35 pm

How far? I've walked farther before but it was probably half to a quarter mile this past weekend. I realize that's not THAT far some some of you (damn kids). :lol: The reason I'm asking is because I tweked my lower back. I screwed up my lower back many years ago carrying a 17' kayak twenty some yards and never recovered. So walking with the gear at a slight tilt on the sand tweeked it again. Just turning wrong to scratch my ass can tweak it now.

This was with my Slingshot Simulator 5'6, GoFoil Iwa/18W, aluminum Tuttle plate adapter and the NoirMatter Quick Flight system. So the weight adds up, even though it's a fairly light foil by itself. Usually I don't use the NoirMatter QR but this was my first test with it as I need one when I'm foiling with the jetski. The kite was a wet Peak4 8m, after I swam in a quarter mile when the wind died. Usually I would fly the kite back to dry it but there was literally zero wind to even run start it. This sometimes helps with walking as I can brace against the kite if I can fly it.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Mon Jan 13, 2020 8:08 pm

I rest the mast on the impact vest over my shoulder. Not great, but easy to change shoulders.

IMO, having to walk such a distance (if not on sand) is about having sandals. I potentially see using something like https://tinyurl.com/svsejly to carry some sandals.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:13 pm

Pad your forearm, walk for miles.

Sorry pic upside down.
Attachments
8C8A6A0F-8DDE-4D69-8BDB-22BB164DCD16.jpeg

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:01 am

I believe the easiest way is to first detach the foil from the board. (Carry a small hex/etc key with you.) Then the board goes under one hand, and the fuselage goes on a shoulder. You can probably walk for miles that way. Whereas if you have a 90 cm mast, the weight of the [aluminum] foil creates so much leverage that I for one refuse to carry my board (LF Fish + Naish Surf M) assembled except for very short distances.

Or if the water is shallow, you can float it and not lift anything, just push.

Return to “Kitesurfing”