Local Beach: All the Greater Vancouver Beaches
Favorite Beaches: Kanaha, Maui
Style: Everything
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Grand Bahama Kiting

Postby Don_C » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:37 am

I'm going to Grand Bahama in a few days, Oct. 24th, and am wondering if I should take my gear. There is very little info on kiting there.

Is there kiting going on in Grand Bahama?
Is there a group of local kiters there?
Is there a popular launch spot?
What wind conditions will I likely find?
Has the recent hurricane messed up the beaches?

I usually ride a foil board and from looking at a nautical chart it looks like there is enough depth in most places. Anyone foiling there?

Any surf to ride? Should I also bring a directional?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

Don C.

picekjeas
Rare Poster

Re: Grand Bahama Kiting

Postby picekjeas » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 am

Don_C have you been to Grand Bahama?
Can you post any usefull info about kiting around the island?
Thank you!

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:23 pm

picekjeas wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:25 am
Don_C have you been to Grand Bahama?
Can you post any usefull info about kiting around the island?
Thank you!
I've been there a bunch of times. There is great kiting there, but I haven't been since Hurricane Dorian. I had an amazing meeting with retailers at West End, and three others just east of Freeport on the south shore. I've also been kiting at the beach in the Lucayan national park. The kiting is wave-free. The general water conditions are really tame, and the bottom can range from sand to grass to rocks to reef. There is normally plenty of water depth for foils. It just depends where you go. It does get very deep and exposed open water not far from shore on the west and south shores. Wind direction is quite different in the winter versus the summer. Please give a heads up to all of us about where you plan to stay while you are there just so others can get an idea of what it's looking like a few months after Dorian. Thanks!

picekjeas
Rare Poster

Postby picekjeas » Thu Nov 28, 2019 3:28 pm

Thank you Cab Driver for usefull info. I'm planning to visit Grand Bahama for a new year and I will let you know about the status after Dorian.
Is there any hope for renting just a kite board (TT or surf) on Grand Bahama, so I don't need to bring my own and pay for sport equipment baggage for international flights from Europe to US and then to Bahamas and back.

picekjeas
Rare Poster

Postby picekjeas » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 am

[/quote]

I've been there a bunch of times. There is great kiting there, but I haven't been since Hurricane Dorian. I had an amazing meeting with retailers at West End, and three others just east of Freeport on the south shore. I've also been kiting at the beach in the Lucayan national park. The kiting is wave-free. The general water conditions are really tame, and the bottom can range from sand to grass to rocks to reef. There is normally plenty of water depth for foils. It just depends where you go. It does get very deep and exposed open water not far from shore on the west and south shores. Wind direction is quite different in the winter versus the summer. Please give a heads up to all of us about where you plan to stay while you are there just so others can get an idea of what it's looking like a few months after Dorian. Thanks!
[/quote]

South shore is looking ok after Dorian. I stayed in Taino beach resort with no serious damages. Nice place, with large swimming pool and 50m to the beach, nice for kiting if there is no people.
Currently Brand Bahama is almost empty - tourist free, so it is a great oportunity to kite wherever you want.
Make sure to bring your own equipment! There is no kite shop, rental, school, ... Nothing!
Attachments
EFFECTS.jpg
Taino beach resort
20191229_163755.jpg
Taino beach resort
20191228_223249.jpg
Taino beach
20191228_223150.jpg
Taino beach

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:40 pm

picekjeas wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:07 am
[/quote]

South shore is looking ok after Dorian. I stayed in Taino beach resort with no serious damages. Nice place, with large swimming pool and 50m to the beach, nice for kiting if there is no people.
Currently Brand Bahama is almost empty - tourist free, so it is a great oportunity to kite wherever you want.
Make sure to bring your own equipment! There is no kite shop, rental, school, ... Nothing!
[/quote]
Great news about Taino Beach! I did two international meetings there and the place is epic. Business as usual for kiters as that place is perfect. Thanks for posting this info.

Return to “Kitesurfing”