Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Bars with a long depower throw (60 cm)?

Forum for kitesurfers
Dave K
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Outer Banks
Style: Knee friendly strapless kite/wing foil
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Bars with a long depower throw (60 cm)?

Postby Dave K » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions! I know I can get a 2019 48 cm Cabrinha recoil bar for about $350 USD and just pull the spring like I did on my other larger bar but I’ll wait till I check out these other options first.

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 am

This bar has 60cm throw. ./bar?lang=en

matth
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Revere, Nahant, Chapin, West Dennis, Hardings , Kalmus, First Encounter, Dog, yerril, Wing
Favorite Beaches: Wing, West Dennis, Kalmus, Chapin, Revere, Nahant, Dog, Horse Neck, Good Harbor, Yerrill
Style: Freeride
Gear: 7m Slash, 10m Pivot, 10m Slash, 12m Pivot. Firewire Vadar, Duotone Profish, Crazyfly Raptor ltd

Postby matth » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 am

OzBungy wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:42 am
This bar has 60cm throw. ./bar?lang=en

looks interesting ... Can that safety release by fired if the bar is jammed against it???????????

OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby OzBungy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:47 am

If the bar was jammed against the primary safety then you would not be able to push away.

You would be able to use the secondary ball release attached to your harness, or the Wichard but that would completely eject the kite.

You need the Wichard to allow you to rotate the front lines after a loop. If you were willing to give up the rotation then you could attach a normal leash to the bar and use it as a tertiary leash.

I quite like the Kauper bar, but I am most inspired by the long travel. That is leading me to consider some of the other long travel bars as my main bar in the future.

You can read the thread here: viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2403644&p=1081898 ... 7#p1081898

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 am

Airush Ultra Bar v2 has 60cm of throw:

https://airush.com/kites/ultra-bar-v2/

Light, compact and simple bar designed for your type of riding.

Cheers

DK

Dave K
Frequent Poster
Gear: 10 m Airush Ultra / 7M Switch Helium, 5M RRD Passion, 120cm Groove Skate. Duotone Slick SLS 6/5/4/3m, Cabrinha Code 5’0”/78l wing board, Gong Veloce V2 L, XL., XXL, Gong Fluid V2 L, pro Fluid 42cm/freestyle 44 stabilizers, Gong HM 85cm V2 carbon mast, 75cm Al mast. Foil Drive + and 40L slingshot prone foil board

Postby Dave K » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 am

decay wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 am

Cheers

DK
Interesting, right after you posted this I just happened to be talking to Barton Decker at his shop and he was telling me about his son, Ryder (Team rider for Airush) and this “long-throw-no-trim-strap” bar that Ryder uses a lot. Ok, one more to check out. Thanks!

rynhardt
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Langebaan
Favorite Beaches: Langebaan
Style: Freeride
Gear: Cloud C2 17
Hoff Twinwave

Postby rynhardt » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:54 am

Matteo V wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 4:28 pm
One thing I don't get about you guys who get rid of the chicken loop and just have a release, is that you wind up putting a spacer above the release anyway. Some use knots, and some just have a fixed extra distance to make up for where the chicken loop would be.

Everyone I have asked in person about this explains that it is uncomfortable to be always using the kite with the bar so close to you where your arms are pretty much pointed downwards. Obviously it's more comfortable to have your arms out a little bit on the bar instead of right up against your body. So where is the benefit in getting rid of the chicken loop if you just make a spacer for that distance anyway?
As always, there are multiple reasons to have a short connector/release.

Pivot point
Getting rid of the chicken loop is not necessarily about shortening the distance between the harness and the bar. I dislike the traditional hook - it's bulky and in the way and it extends the pivot point further from your center.

Posture
I did however shorten the distance from the harness to the bar, mostly because I use a seat harness and I tend to ride fairly powered with the kite low. This means the kite lines are angled about 90deg away from my torso, so trimming the kite is more a forwards/backwards movement than up/down. In this use case it's very comfortable to ride with the bar close to your center.

Preference
Yet another reason I like to have a short connector is it gives me the option to trim the kite past its 100% power point, i.e. effectively backstall it. My lines are generally set up with about 5cm of overtrim.

Because I have a short connector and no hook, even with the overtrim, I can run the 100% power point at about 20cm from my harness - If I keep my back straight and arms relaxed with elbows down then I can manage the trim between 50% and 100% all day long.
Attachments
rsup-split.jpg
rsup-split.jpg (33.89 KiB) Viewed 846 times
Last edited by rynhardt on Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

decay
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Muizenburg, Cape Town
Favorite Beaches: Ruakaka River Mouth
Style: ALL
Gear: Stuff I design
Brand Affiliation: Lacuna CTO

Postby decay » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am

Dave K wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:47 am
decay wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 5:55 am

Cheers

DK
Interesting, right after you posted this I just happened to be talking to Barton Decker at his shop and he was telling me about his son, Ryder (Team rider for Airush) and this “long-throw-no-trim-strap” bar that Ryder uses a lot. Ok, one more to check out. Thanks!
That reminds me:

The bar in the video is the V1, only differnce going into V2 was changing to the new iQR quick release.

The Ultrabar V2 ships with the small chicken loop installed and the rope slider loop in the box ready to swap in if you would like that option.

Cheers

DK (Also a Dave K...)

Dave K
Frequent Poster

Postby Dave K » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:00 pm

Thanks Decay. That would be a perfect bar for foiling. Just like Reider said, set the depower level before you ride and never touch it while riding. The one gripe I have about this Ultra bar is if it’s ultra simple without the added trim strap depower components why isn’t selling at a price less than $540.......

I did see a Liquid Force bar at Real today. It does have a pretty decent available throw (21”), just a couple of inches less than my “spring removed” Cabrinha recoil bar. Real has them on sale for around $249 right now. Anyway I just ended up finding a new 45cm Cabrinha 1X bar (2015 model with no lines) for $50. I’ll just transfer the line set from my 55cm 1X bar over and current problem solved.

I’ve been buying a bunch of new wing foiling toys recently so a new $550 control bar will have to wait :D

nikolaygadzhev77
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Postby nikolaygadzhev77 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:07 pm

i use naish base bar bar throw is 60 cm and they are very simple to maintenance and cheap to buy

Return to “Kitesurfing”