Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

LF thruster bumpy ride on Al fuse

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.
Brand Affiliation: None

LF thruster bumpy ride on Al fuse

Postby vakiter » Sun Jan 05, 2020 4:43 pm

hello all,
first post here. i am a first season foiler, i have ridden the LF foil fish (rocket), then the impulse. now i gave the LF thruster wings a try on the Al fuselage, which requires some shims. the wings are really maneuverable, but gave a lot of bumpy feedback. is this due to the shims? has anyone tried thruster wings on both the Al and the 'HD' fuselage?? or experienced the bumpy ride ?

thanks,

TomW
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Local Beach: Vejbystrand, Lomma
Gear: TW Surfboards hydrofoil board 110
Gong Veloce M, 100cm carbon mast
Ozone Hyperlink V1 7m
Hyperlink V2 9m, 13m
Concept Air Wave 4,5m

Re: LF thruster bumpy ride on Al fuse

Postby TomW » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:37 pm

Bumpy feedback?

vakiter
Frequent Poster

Postby vakiter » Sun Jan 05, 2020 5:40 pm

yeah, felt bumps through the board. like a texture in the water. generally waves feel hilly, but this was more high-frequency like a soft gravel road. i thought it might be an oscillation in the wings due to the shims. it cleaned up at higher speed.

Mikkelza
Medium Poster
Gear: Wave + foil

Postby Mikkelza » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:51 pm

Hi,
I have the LF thruster with aluminum fuselage, and feel the ride very smooth. My friend who have the first version LF foil fish also feel the thruster very smooth.
Also, when I go slow (I am impressed how slow the thruster can go) I feel the foiling smooth.

Interesting that you went from the impulse to the thruster. Most people want to go on bigger and bigger wings.

I have no experience with other foils than the thruster.

Let me know if I can help you in other ways regarding the thruster.

taiguy
Medium Poster

Postby taiguy » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:41 am

I rode a thruster setup for 2 years. the only time I thought it was "bumpy" my bolts weren't tight and the entire fuselage was moving. otherwise, it should be a smooth ride.

vakiter
Frequent Poster

Postby vakiter » Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:03 pm

hi, i had another sesh on this foil, this time in deep water and did not notice the bumps. i suppose it must have been a bottom effect? water depth on the first sesh was just barely deep enough ~3ft.
i had a loose wing once on the impulse, and i noticed it as a discrete shift once in a while, felt like i hit a fish or something.

anyway, thanks for the responses. just wanted to make sure i dont need to get the hd fuse.

KitingPolak
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Metro Beach
Style: Free
Gear: Slingshot KeyHD 2010 10
RRD Obsession 2010 13.5
Boardriding Maui Cloud 1st Gen 17
Pansh Aurora 2015 19
Liquid Force Solo v2 2016 6.5
RRD Obsession Mk9 2017 12
Eleveight RS V1 2018 14
Naish Pivot 2017 9
Slingshot Ignition 140cm
Ocean Rodeo Mako 140cm
Liquid Force Fish w/Foil Fish
Dakine Pyro Harness

Postby KitingPolak » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:03 pm

vakiter wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 4:03 pm
hi, i had another sesh on this foil, this time in deep water and did not notice the bumps. i suppose it must have been a bottom effect? water depth on the first sesh was just barely deep enough ~3ft.
i had a loose wing once on the impulse, and i noticed it as a discrete shift once in a while, felt like i hit a fish or something.

anyway, thanks for the responses. just wanted to make sure i dont need to get the hd fuse.
Sorry for reviving and old post but I recently got the Thruster wingset, mounted it on the old LF (non-HD) fuse with the shims that came with hit, and the ride was not only bumpy but the foil acted strangely. I had to put a lot of pressure on the rear foot to the board out of the water but as soon as I was on-foil the whole thing wanted to shoot straight up. I moved the mast back and was able to ride it this way but it was really pitch sensitive. What shims, if any, are (or were) you using or perhaps you could measure the AoA of the front and rear wings?

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:21 pm

I have a Thruster with the HD fuselage that's comes with it. It is very smooth it's a nice fast foil great carving feeling at high speed.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:28 pm

You didn’t notice the feeling of hitting bait fish on your slower surfier foils but now on the thruster you feel them more. It’s not the foil, it’s the fish and stuff in the water.

Chesapeake Bay in summer is often so full of jellies, bait fish, and whatnot that it can be unfoilable with small fast higher aspect foils. Thicker low aspect surf foils can tank through them but higher performance foils feel like gravel or worse, sea monkeys pulling you down.

JakeFarley
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 92kg
Local Beach: Florida Left Coast, USA
Favorite Beaches: Any that are not crowded.
Style: Dinosaur style (Velociraptor)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer Speed5 21m, Soul 12m, Cabrinha 16m Xbow, 11m Xbow, Best 14m HP Nemesis, 9m Yarga C Hybrid
Boards: Crazyfly 135 x 46 Pro, Cabrinha Spoiler 140, 6' custom surfboard, 122 x 46 custom twintip
Wing foil: Naish Hover 110l, Slingwing 6.4m, F-One CWC Strike 8m, Slingshot Hover Glide Fwing (Infinity 99), Slingshot Phantasm 926 and E 990

Postby JakeFarley » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:42 pm

Weeds in the water catching on your rig as well as a loose fuselage to mast connection will result in a "bumpy" feel. Where I ride there are weeds everywhere, and even with a low aspect front wing they still cause problems. To shed the weeds I do what I call the seaweed shimmy, sort of twisting/moving the board to the right and left to shed the weeds as well as pumping the foil (not at the same time though).

Return to “Hydrofoil”