Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Duotone Airport Valve II - Questions - Does it turn too far?

Forum for kitesurfers
kitedonky
Rare Poster
Gear: North/F-One
Brand Affiliation: None
Been thanked: 0

Duotone Airport Valve II - Questions - Does it turn too far?

Postby kitedonky » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:51 am

I have 2 2020 Duotone rebels. They are my first kits I have owned so I am new to being an owner.

On one of the kites (1) when I attach the pump and turn, it works perfectly. The turning stops when the arrows line up and I can tightly attach the pump. On the other kite (2) when I turn the pump the "stop" (when the arrows line up) is just not hard enough and the pump does not attach properly. If I try to turn the pump so it is more firmly attached then the whole valve turns further. If I simply stop with kite (2) when the arrows line up then the pump is not attached fully and as the pressure rises air starts being released.

I realise my explanation is probably hard to understand, however, does it sound like I am doing things right.
1. Could it be that on kite 2 the stop is just built a little weaker?
2. Does anybody else have this problem?
3. What should I do?
4. The internal parts of the valve are not easily replaceable right? You have to stick a whole new one on right?

Thanks in advance.

Exal
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Still looking
Favorite Beaches: WA & Cape Town
Style: Wave & Oldschool
Gear: all the gear and no idea

Re: Duotone Airport Valve II - Questions - Does it turn too far?

Postby Exal » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 am

Can you open the valves on both kites and check if both of them have the rubber thing inside? (That thing here: https://shop.duotonesports.com/en-gb/ai ... 4900--8774)
These users thanked the author Exal for the post:
kitedonky (Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:30 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kitedonky
Rare Poster
Gear: North/F-One

Postby kitedonky » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:34 am

I cannot see it by looking inside with the cap off. Is there a special way to see that rubber thing. I can see on one side the small black rectangle which stops the valve from opening too far when being pumped up. Further on the opposite side I can see an almost clear ramp type shape which must push the valve open when turned but also appears to be the stop when closing. Using your fingers it all seems to work fine it seems to go wrong when I attach a pump.

apollo4000
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Local Beach: Camber / Lancing / Whitstable
Favorite Beaches: The next one
Style: trying hard
Gear: All sorts
Brand Affiliation: Nope. Just a regular Joe.

Postby apollo4000 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:53 pm

kitedonky wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:51 am
I have 2 2020 Duotone rebels. They are my first kits I have owned so I am new to being an owner.

On one of the kites (1) when I attach the pump and turn, it works perfectly. The turning stops when the arrows line up and I can tightly attach the pump. On the other kite (2) when I turn the pump the "stop" (when the arrows line up) is just not hard enough and the pump does not attach properly. If I try to turn the pump so it is more firmly attached then the whole valve turns further. If I simply stop with kite (2) when the arrows line up then the pump is not attached fully and as the pressure rises air starts being released.

I realise my explanation is probably hard to understand, however, does it sound like I am doing things right.
1. Could it be that on kite 2 the stop is just built a little weaker?
2. Does anybody else have this problem?
3. What should I do?
4. The internal parts of the valve are not easily replaceable right? You have to stick a whole new one on right?

Thanks in advance.
Where you based? Maybe someone on here can have a look next time you’re out? Or call your Dealer? You don’t want to shell out and be disappointed. Maybe some photos.

B-MAN
Medium Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby B-MAN » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:40 am

Hey there,

I don't find anything clicks into place as such with the valve when pumping up my Duotone Dice kites.

The official Duotone pump hose is quite robust and more rigid than other flimsy pump hoses, hence it can undo the valve itself when pumping. What I do is twist the pump hose before inserting it.... then the torsion of the pump hose twists back on itself locking the valve open and you pump up. Then just twist closed and done. Never had a problem since being shown that.

This may help

cheers

Baz

Dan-at-Duotone
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: The Gorge
Favorite Beaches: Crazy Beaches
Style: Kooky
Gear: Go
Brand Affiliation: Sales/Marketing/Service for Duotone/Ion in North America

Postby Dan-at-Duotone » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:43 pm

Sounds weird, our new valves are pretty solid so I haven't seen many issues with them, but there's no product in this industry that doesn't have occasional warranty issues so it's possible you have a bad one. It's also possible to break the valve inadvertently by twisting too hard. Either way I'd take it in to your dealer if possible. Even if the valve is completely destroyed replacing it is pretty easy, but it's always good to have the more experienced eye of a shop take a look at it first and hopefully sort it out for you. If you have any issues feel free to message me directly.

-Dan

Return to “Kitesurfing”