Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ozone Alpha V1 vs Naish Boxer 2020

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ozone Alpha V1 vs Naish Boxer 2020

Postby Huib » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:12 pm

The Alpha 10m reverse relaunch is very good. Much better the the Ultra. With the reverse relauch your kite stays in the powerzone, so much more change to get it out!

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:33 pm

Out of interest - how would you test that to determine the Alpha is much better? Amount of line that you need to pull before the kite starts to rise off the water? Static pull on the harness when sat in the nose down position?

I'd have thought that reverse relaunch would inversely reflect how resistant to stall a kite was. E.g. if you could oversheet a kite easily then you would need to pull less steering line for it to start to take off?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:58 pm

a99 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:11 pm
Just compare weights and will be clear witout comments. Alpha 10m 2.25kg. Boxer i dont know weight.
my "old" Alpha 10mtr weighed straight out of the box without strap or bag weighed 2.12kg, the 12 weighed 2.45kg
wonderfully easy to relaunch, good stiff frame for a single strut, certainly well made for such a light kite, not at all flimsy.
however p'xd my 2 Apha for the Ozone 9 and 11mtr UL Chrono V3 kites, which are maybe around the same power offering, however the chrono 11mtr coud easily replace the two Alpha kites as the range of the chrono 11mtr is so big, the 12mtr alpha will not work well out of its range, and the 11mtr chrono will easily get you up flying before the 12 Alpha, the v3 UL chronos weigh in at 1.62kg and 1.96kg, new out of the box no bag or strap.
as for the new Boxer kites, Can't comment.
but the Alpha is not a great Ttip kite, that's for sure, but that's against my "old" heavy superb bandits (which were not great for foiling)

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:32 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:26 pm
Peert wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:00 pm
My Boxer 10m 2019 - 2020 version weighs 2.65 Kg.
That's interesting. I'm surprised that the boxer is 20% heavier (450g) than the Ozone Alpha. I guess quadtex is heavier which makes a difference to weight.
It might also be dacron quality, no of dacron reinforcements, bridles. Just different choices in the weight/durability trade-off. The boxer functions very well and is really durable. Used my 9m quite often. No signs of wear yet.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
Kraken fuse 703k

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,

Postby Foil » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:37 am

apart from anything else, if you need to get out through shore waves, even only the medium size stuff, then if its powerful enough to push you back a little whilst body dragging out (onshore winds) you will have many problems with any lei kite,
they do not get forward enough into the window to pull you out easily, when a wave stalls you or even worse- pushes you back- or even tosses you over, then any line slack is often a disaster as the lei may well tumble down to the water,
this is where a feather light lei kite is better (so much better) than a well built heavier multi strut,
none of this matters so much if not using a foil board, as I am only talking about getting out away from the shore line by body dragging.
there is a big problem here in this scenario as you try to get out through the onshore mushy conditions,
you need more power,
more kite size to keep you punching through the waves and out to flatter deeper water,
however there is then the problem of you ending up with a kite too big for the foil board, having to use depower and not greatly enjoying the session being pulled around overpowered just because it was the lesser evil, better to at least get out than to flounder for ages being tossed around near the shore line trying to get going and more likely to damage some gear.
but yet again the best lei kites, lighter minimal strut, to help better in getting get you out on a foil board- are not the best at all for Twin tip use, and having two quivers was something I was contemplating doing around 18 months back.
However after selling my Ttips after a 2 years of rarely wanting to bother using them- I found my answer to getting out though onshore waves with relative ease,
even if the bigger waves did turn me over and push me back a bit then my kites just sat up there still sitting well forward in the wind window, much further forward than any Lei kite,
its changed my whole approach to getting out in these sort of conditions that were so difficult to handle using my lei kites, it was a game changer for me going over to ULight modern foil kites, and yes the UL version is the best at the overhead hover, lighter, ensuring any slack line is rarely a worry, and because of their feather light qualities you can just hold the kite quite bit nearer the water-further into the window- without fear of it dropping down, something that you can never do with an lei, unless of course you are well powered up, and for foil boarding that's not the game.

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 am

Peert wrote:

Disclaimer.. no clue how accurate this cheap scale of mine for luggage avtually is... it says 40kg/10g..

I share Onda's enthusiasm for the boxer... I sold all of my wavekites (Ozone Reo and Best Cabo) and happily use the boxers... I expanded my quiver of 6 & 9 with 7, 10 and 12. Not that it was necessary for single person use, but my daughter is joining me more and more often.
Peert, can you weight your 12m?
Is it simple to do reverse relaunch on them?
Here where I live boxer is the only options for lightwind kite.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kraken fuse 703k

Postby Foil » Sat Jan 18, 2020 11:24 am

LeoLeal wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 am
Peert wrote:

Disclaimer.. no clue how accurate this cheap scale of mine for luggage avtually is... it says 40kg/10g..

I share Onda's enthusiasm for the boxer... I sold all of my wavekites (Ozone Reo and Best Cabo) and happily use the boxers... I expanded my quiver of 6 & 9 with 7, 10 and 12. Not that it was necessary for single person use, but my daughter is joining me more and more often.
can you do a reverse launch on any lei in light winds whilst treading deep water, I have tried many times, easy to do with feet on the bottom or when overpowered on a twin tip in choppy water, but underpowered on a foil board in deep water, maybe on a strutless cloud kite? definitely on any foil kite,
but a multi strut or even a single strut? I wouldn't bet on it.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:01 pm

The Boxer doesn´t need reverse start. Even in the lightest winds you simply need to pull in one back line, wait and it will relaunch.
Deep water / swimming while relaunching is not a problem.
The Gleiten.tv team have tested the Boxer and they relaunched it in 5 kts by only pulling one back line, with rider standing fixed. Quotation: "We thought this is physically impossible. Until we tested the Boxer."
https://gleiten.tv/index.php/video/acti ... /page/480/

Peert
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Kijkduin, IJmuiden, Schellinkhout, Wijk aan Zee, Marina, Mirns.
Style: Freeride
Gear: Best Roca 4m, Naish Boxer 6 and 9m, GA Pure 8m Naish Trip 10m, Gong strutless 11m Modded Waroo 14m.
Mako 135x38 Mako 140x40 & Mako King 165x45, Crazyfly Bulldozer, T40 Moses Vorace Hydrofoil + Gong Wings

Postby Peert » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:14 pm

LeoLeal wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:26 am
Peert wrote:

Sure I can, but it is a 2018 model. The blue/yellow one. Not sure how usefull that would be..

LeoLeal
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: Maracaípe, ilha de Itamaracá
Favorite Beaches: Maracaípe (PE)
Ilha de Itamaracá (PE)
Ponta de Campina (PB)
Barra do Cunhau (RN)
São Miguel do gostoso ( RN)
BRAZIL
Style: Freeride, Strapless Freestyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Alpha 12m² V2
Peak4 8m & 5m
Pro Voke 5.1"
Trax 132
MOSES / SABFOIL W790 + Pocket 1.23m 18L

Postby LeoLeal » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:19 am

According to the gleiten video:
- Boxer 7m² - 2.14kg
- Boxer 9m² - 2.5kg
- Boxer 12m² - 3.05kg

According to ozone website
Alpha 12m² - 2.50 kg

The question is does it make a huge difference 0.5kg in lightwind (7-9 knots)?

Return to “Hydrofoil”